1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 4 balls and birds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 30, 2012.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Looked great is a whole lot different than being great, I do believe I know the difference.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Please share--the distinction--in this context--is lost on me...

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Competition affects the appearance of quality without affecting actual quality...

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Maybe it makes sense in (awkwardly approximated) German...

"Wettbewerb beeinflusst das Aussehen der Qualität ohne Beeinträchtigung der tatsächlichen Qualität ..."

Hmmm...well as long as you two understand what you mean...I'm generally too literal for koans...

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Yay! Whooki Mane's back! I remember Whooki!! Oops! I mean, I remember the Mane!

(and Rickochey--before you ask--yes, I was there, that cold February night in Havana Harbor)

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It makes sense in English as well :-D

This is the same principle that makes a girl who would look like a 6 standing next to a supermodel look like a 10 standing next to a humpbacked troll of a woman.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Yellow Journalism!

8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Okay...my ADD is maxing-out, but I'll make one more sincere effort to understand.

So, I dug up Hex's exact quote:

"Meach looked great with Brees and it appears that he was just asked to go run and we'll get you the ball."

I said I questioned the term "great," given Meachem's mediocre numbers with a great QB in New Orleans.

Hex replied "Looked great is a whole lot different than being great"

I replied that I "only speakee the English."

You say it's about "competition" but I'm completely lost as to what is being said (implied?) about competition in:

"Meach looked great with Brees and it appears that he was just asked to go run and we'll get you the ball."

Lil' help?

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Clint Longley, need I post the Thanks Giving game day stats???? He looked great for one game and the Bolt's got him.

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Oh, I never relate a post back to previous arguments unless it's one of my one. I was just commenting on how one can look great without being great. It's 3 AM and I have an 8 month old, so the logic disconnect is probably on my end :-D

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Okay, so how does Longley in any way explain the "greatness" of Meachem?

(I swear, I'm trying to follow your reasoning, but I have no idea how an unknown who comes off the bench
    for one big game equates to a heralded First Round draft pick with four solid but unspectacular seasons...)

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Balls - Butler (again), the running game, Gates, Gaither (for coming back), the D line, Ingram, Demorrio Williams.

Birds - our corners (again), JJ (missing tackles, Ingram should soon beat him out), Norv (for some horrific playcalling at times).