1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Week 4: Chargers v Steelers News

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Sep 29, 2009.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Our running game stinks, their running game is not so good, but currently better than ours. Lots of passing in this game I believe.

Polamalu still out, don't know about LT, or Vasquez. The word is Merriman is out to rest his groin.

There will be MORE points than the 11-10 crapfest from last regular season. I see BOTH teams in the low 20's. (24-21, 23-20)

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    On the CMB, I predicted

Chargers 26
    Steelers 23

Each team scores 2 TD and kicks 3 FG.

Then Nate kicks the game winning FG.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, we need a HUGE game from our D this week.

I am not worried about the offense much other than the red zone woes (which will be fixed soon).

6. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    We did lose 34-24 in the playoffs last year, but I don't see Pittsburgh getting that many points. I'm still sticking to the low 20's for both teams.

This game is huge for us since it's another AFC possible playoff team we could have the tiebreaker over. We already lost the tiebreaker to the Ravens if it comes down to that possibly.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Stillers are going to be desperate, we just have to take it from them. A win in the Burgh and our Bolt's are set up damn good if you ask me.

8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Though I think we match up pretty well with the Steelers, I am very worried about this game. Much like the Patriots, it seems we always fall apart playing Pittsburgh. Being at Heinz is not going to help.

Chargers: 19
    Steelers: 24

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    And the fact that our players don't do well when traveling East, they lack urgency, etc. etc.

There are not many reasons to think we will win this game.

But there is ONE: PHILIP RIVERS IS A WITCH.

He will get it done for us and get that monkey off our backs.

Chargers 31
    Stillers 27

:bolt:

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    We play Miami at home and Pittsburgh away, back-to-back.

The last time that happened was the playoffs our superbowl year.

We beat Miami here at home. Check. That was the last time we beat them at home, before this past game.

We beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. Check. That was the last time we beat them there.

Get ready for another streak to fall. :abq2::abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This is definitely one time that I hope history repeats itself. Until the SB, that is. :yes:

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont recall that we have ever won in Pittsburgh in the regular season. Any one else ready to break an old habit?

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    1. Establish something of a run game
    we need to run the football at least to attempt to establish the run game. We won't be that successful but we can't be so one dimensional as we were in the playoff game. Otherwise they can just pick us apart.
    2. Get off the field
    No constant long drives. We can't afford teams to have these constant long drives like miami did initially or pittsburgh did in the playoff game.
    3. get physical
    that's what the steelers do, and in physical v finesse, physical wins almost every time.

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    34-21

Rivers unloads his fury on the Steelers :tup:

3 td's 456 yards.

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Correct, in fact the Bolts have only EVER won in Pittsburgh twice. Both were playoff games.

Our 1994 SB season in the AFCCG.

The 1982 season where Fouts & Co. won in the divisional round, 31-28.

16. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    :lol

What a post!

17. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Both L.T. & Vasquez practiced today

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The red zone still worries me. We can't win with just field goals. It seems we can only score a TD on a long strike (which is great when it happens, but you can't count on them consistently), or the super rare Rivers rushing TD.

OK, back to work.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    As long as they press them on the line they should do fine and DO NOT leave your assignment until Ben crosses the line. That big galoot can keep a play alive and is hard to take down.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    In all seriousness, Nick hit the high points.

Their pass rush has been as ineffective as ours. I'm hoping that our OL will "get well" because of this.

Their rushing attack has been mediocre. Fast Willie with turf toe & Mendenhall in the dog house.

Pass coverage suspect as well. No Polamalu & his replacement dinged up.

We have as good a chance as we may ever get to take it to these guys. Sure tackling, containing Ben, & giving PR time are the keys to winning this game.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
  23. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I never really had this game in the W column so coming in with low expectations. I am happy if we can show we can man up and play physical with this team regardless of the outcome. For me this is the best test of our lines we will have all season and for this reason it is a bellweather game I think. We have to find a way to put that Swiss QB on his ***.

Overall our chances have definitely improved and I think this is a pickem game at this point and it will probably come down to some freak play to decide it.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If we can get out to a couple score quick lead then I can see us winning. If not then it will be a dogfight.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Steelers favored by 7 at this point. :no:

26. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    SERIES HISTORY

It's one of the most remarkable stats in football – the Chargers have never won a regular-season game in 13 tries at Pittsburgh. Most of the games weren't even close until last year's 11-10 Steelers escape. The Steelers also beat the Chargers in the playoffs 35-24 to take a 21-8 series lead. Pittsburgh's only loss to the Chargers in eight games since the 1994 AFC Championship Game was in 2006.

[​IMG]

Its time to break the streak... :abq2:

27. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I did have this as a loss when I looked at the schedule when the season started. Tough game for us this week, and it doesn't matter if Pittsburgh is 3-0, 2-1, or 1-2.

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup::tup::tup:

29. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm getting really fired up for the game Sunday night.

This is a fantastic opportunity for us to prove a lot of people right. As much as we grip about lack of respect for our bolts, a lot people have us picked to win it all this year. Forget about those stupid 'power rankings' and all that bullshit... this is our chance to prove that we really are the class of the NFL.

If we really think we're the best and want to hoist the Lombardi at the end of the year we need to beat this Steelers team. So get out there and get it done. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  30. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352

It is time and it is an amazing stat. This year when the injuries occurred early I wrote off this game. But seeing how the Steelers are having their own issues, our young guys are improving and the way Rivers is throwing the ball - I really do feel this is the year that streak ends.

If I remember right there was just a streak broken last week against the Dolphins - let's break another one this week.