1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 6 Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    What a game! Isnt it wonderful what a D (and some LUCK) can do?

Lets get to it:
    PROS
    Reyes: Good game and a HUGE sack!
    Allen: What a game you had young man! 9 receptions for 107, and a TD! MONSTER GAME!
    Mathews: Your best game in a long time, 22 carries for 102 yards. How long has it been since the Bolts had a 100 yard rusher? You played hard and held on to the ball!
    Cox: Nice interception to win the game and you got down. Well done!

Cons
    Red Zone O: The O did enough, but bogged down in the red zone. A lot of positives, but gotta get the 6's!

One of the most complete games we have had in a long time. That is mine, Give me yours!

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Pros -

Got our 2nd INT!
    Bye week next week for the mash unit.
    Mathews played very well for once. (I've been ready to eat this crow for a while, so it's nice to see)
    Rivers 0 turnovers.
    Defense made a stop on the final drive when they could have rolled over like they have so often lately.
    Novak cold as ice.

Cons

We have no pass rushers.
    Redzone offense was Martyesc
    NOT ENOUGH GREEN! MM, KW, and PR have to create something for this kid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    You mean Green making tackles on special teams wasn't enough for you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Lol his one huge catch wasn't, I'm ready to see that guy break out. He and Gates on the field could be unstoppable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Yes, I think you're right. What that's really going to come down to is Green improving as a blocker. He said as much himself in an interview earlier this year. If Green can continue to improve as a blocker, he and Gates can see more time on the field together. Given the number of injuries to the receivers, its amazing how many weapons this team has. Allen might end up being the offensive rookie of the year if he keeps this up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    PROS
    ESPN for buying those tickets

Reyes: That sack!(I wish that was Manning)
    Allen: Slots are US... Just keep doing your thing!(Depending out 3' 4' and 5 WRS isnt as bad as I thought)
    Mathews: Just nice!He added balance to game.. We aren't just 1 dimensional.. saw some flashes... One mistake STAY IN BOUNDS!!!! DUDE
    Luck and all the Colts for not Running the ball and not catching the passes! :)
    Cons
    Arm tackling.... RED ZONE, 2 MINUTE Drill,

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    Pros (that haven't been mentioned)
    1. Mathews change of direction in the backfield and running around the line.
    Looked hella fast (It's allowed I live in NorCal).
    2. Te'o for leading the team with 5 solo tackles (tied w/Cox). His nose for the
    ball is starting to make an appearance. I see him causing some much needed
    turnovers (or being johnny o' the spot) by Week 10.
    3. Pagano for disguising the D which appeared to confuse Luck at times.
    4. Wright for keeping his guy under 50 receiving yards. Solid game coming back
    from an injury. No PI for any of the guys on the backside. Good job.

Cons
    1. None (that haven't been mentioned already, mostly mild stuff).

Go Bolts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Pros:
    • Ball protection and clock management! Can't go wrong when our TOP nearly doubles theirs.
    • Ryan Mathews running the ball down the Colts' throats and handling his fumblitis. Bravo.
    • The defense managing to pressure Andrew Luck despite playing without their top two pass rushers.
    • The emergence of Keenan Allen. Any team who doesn't game plan for this kid moving forward is going to regret it.
    • Yet another flash (and clutch catch) from Ladarius Green. With more reps, 89 could turn into a real stud! (Btw... I'm still waiting to see a 3-4 TE set. We definitely have the personnel for it, IMO.)
    Cons:
    • The secondary got burnt quite a bit in this game. Had it not been for all those drops, this game could've ended a lot differently. Lucky us, I guess (bad pun very much intended)
    • Tackling could use some work. Mind you, Trent Richardson is one of the very best in breaking them, but that's still no excuse.
    • The red zone offense was horrendous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Pros

John Pagano and the Defense in general - Credit where Credit is due, they went into the game at lower strength and held an incredible offense without a touchdown. I don't know how they did it.
    Kendal Reyes - big time sack when needed
    Derek Cox - that huge INT especially given how he's been burned so much
    Keenan Allen - one of the biggest steals in the third round
    Nick Novak - big time Field Goals
    Ryan Mathews/Danny Woodhead/Ronnie Brown - fantastic job in teh run game
    The OL - minus one sack, they held the D in check and Mathis without a sack

Cons

Red Zone Offense - once they got into the red zone nothing seemed to work and more times they played conservatively.
    Poor Tackling - Unfortunately this is a consistent program but as mentioned they did play against a RB who is good at that
    Punt Return Game - clearly they were concerned about making mistakes

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Pros

Keenan Allen, the O line and how the D performed missing the likes of Butler, JJ, Freeney and dare I say Ingram. They certainly were helped by some Godawful drops by Indy but they came to play tonight. Most first up tackles were made too which makes a change. I thought Gachkar looked quite quick.

Novak has convinced me. Never thought he could do what he is doing, I've now officially erased Kaeding from my mind. Scifres was nails too.

Thought the D line and Johnny Patrick flashed and Shareece seemed to never be targeted which must be a good sign. Te'o was calling the D so he has to take some credit for getting the team in position play after play.

Cons

I'll give Mathews lots of credit for his > 100 yds etc but that play where he ran out of bounds had me going bananas. May it be the last time he does something like that.

Ok Cox came up with the INT after an Indy player palmed the ball to him but generally he was getting burned all night long. U have to wonder WTF is wrong with him, he is not this bad a player surely (see ref to Wright above).

All in all another great win for the team that is simply an Enigma!.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Pro: Great team win!!!!!

Con: They still lost last week.:(

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    Pros
    Keenan Allen: Big night, and should continue to improve
    O-Line: Run blocking was outstanding, allowed only 2 sacks (one of which was coverage)
    Ryan Mathews: Now THIS is more like it
    Defense: A beleaguered unit comes up big, though it helps that Colt receivers seemed to have board hands for much of the night
    Novak: How do you spell clutch? N-O-V-A-K
    Record: At 3-3, we are very much in the thick of things with winnable games the next couple of weeks with a bye thrown in
    No turnovers!

Cons
    Second half schedule looks awful with Chiefs and Donks twice each
    Red Zone O: More like Dead Zone O. That will not suffice against most teams

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Pros:

Philip Rivers: once again continues to prove doubter wrong, was masterful with his play calling and audibles at the line of scrimmage

Nick Hardwick: was another field general who was helping call plays for the oline to pick up blitzes

Keenan Allen: Continues to prove why he was once considered the top WR in last years draft

Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead: put together the best run game I have seen in a long time

Mike McCoy, Ken Whisenhunt, John Pagano and all the coaching staff: This group of men have been so creative given the lack of talent on both sides of the ball, and have put together a legit team. I believe in this coaching staff!

Tom Telesco: Getting a win against his former team, then giving High fives to his players after the win and then later hanging out with the the players and their families in the parking lot celebrating with beers

The Offensive and defensive line: both sides have been very very good this game and all season, have been able to hold their own against Foster, McCoy, Chris Johnson, Richardson and have been able to contain them all for the most part. While the O line has been able to contain JJ Watt, Ware, Mathis, etc.

Novak: was on tonight, the game could have quickly turned if he had missed that 50 yarder

Cons:

Not much in the cons section, only because the lack of talent is so scarce, it's hard to fault a less talented player for not producing like a starter.

Manti T'eo: has to turn into the guy we saw for 3 years at ND and not the guy who was embarrassed by Alabama which he's beginning to look more like so far. Either he isn't in game shape yet or this game truly is too big for him.

The ESPN Analysts: It was fun yet brutal to hear them back pedal half way through the game, actually having to admit they were wrong and didn't give the Bolts enough credit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Hmmm... Lets discuss. I thought Te'o was flying all over the field last night. Had a good number of tackles and seemed to be around the ball quite often. I saw two plays where he over ran the play, but hey, Jr. Seau did that too. I am actually thinking he is developing nicely. What are you seeing that is getting your 'uh-oh' bumps up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I just saw a guy who constantly was either getting ran over or slipping on the tackles, although he did have a nice pass deflection (which I don't know if it was him or the receiver letting it bounce off of his hands)

I know he is developing, and I really like the kid and was happy when we drafted him, T'eo against Alabama last year although he was all around on plays he looked like a JAG (just a guy) I saw a lot more of that so far than anything else was all I was saying pretty much.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I look forward to watching the coach's tape (haven't yet), but my initial impression was similar,
    re. Te'o's play last night. I might interpret it slightly differently, though: I wasn't that glad to have
    drafted him, but I'm pretty happy with JAG status in his third game. Between calling the plays,
    a depleted LB corps, a good opposing QB and the Monday Night lights...I think the kid did well
    to look like he belonged.

It could be like a movie: If everyone tells you it's the best ever, and I'm dragged to it by my girlfriend...
    if it's an average film, you might be a bit let down, while I'm happy it's better than I expected.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    ^^^ He also shared in having the most tackles for the defense, and he was around the ball 0r in on a play quite a bit.

18. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Te'o took a number of bad angles & shot the wrong gap a few times BUT .... he hasn't had many reps, he had to take over Butler's playcalling responsibilities, & he had a guy next to him that is barely a backup at ILB.

Wasn't a fan of the pick but he's here now & I'll give him a chance to work into the mix.