1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Island: Revis likes move for Cromartie

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

June 3, 2010
    By Clark Judge
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets' Darrelle Revis was MIA at Thursday's practice, and the word is that his absence is linked to unresolved contract differences. OK, so he may be ticked off. It happens. But so do contract settlements, and once the Jets figure out how to satisfy the NFL's top cornerback look for the attention to swing to Revis' partner.
    I'm talking about Antonio Cromartie, and money won't be the issue with him. Playing will.

Specifically, it's playing as he did in 2007 when he was one of the top cornerbacks in the game. That was when Cromartie was chosen to the Pro Bowl, led the league with 10 interceptions and pulled down defensive player of the year votes. The Jets believe he can be that player again, one of the reasons they acquired him from San Diego, and if they're accurate you may be looking at a shift in the AFC's balance of power. I'm serious.
    For the moment, the Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots stand between the Jets and the Super Bowl. The Patriots won the AFC East again last season, and the Colts won the AFC Championship Game, and, quick now, what do both have in common? Uh-huh, elite quarterbacks and big-time passing games. The Colts ranked second in passing last season, while the Patriots were third, and quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Tom Brady combined for 61 touchdown passes.
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out what the Jets are doing with Cromartie. To beat the teams ahead of you, you attack their strengths ... or your weaknesses ... or, as in the Jets' case, both. They lost the AFC Championship Game because they didn't have the defensive backs to defend the Colts' Manning. So they went out and acquired Cromartie, and now they might.
    I say might because no one is sure what to expect next. You can't question Cromartie's talent or his ability to defend receivers. But you can question his commitment, and the Chargers did. Now, people wonder, if they were so eager to give up on him what does that mean?
    We're about to find out.
    "To tell you the truth," said Cromartie, "I just want to go out and play football. I'm having fun with my new teammates and being a part of a great organization. I don't feel I have anything to prove. I just have to go out and play football like I know I'm capable of playing it. And that's it."
    It certainly is because if he'd just gone out and played football like he knows he's capable of playing he'd still be in San Diego. But Cromartie too often seemed disinterested, particularly in tackling, and his overall play was annoyingly inconsistent. One NFL coach who considered acquiring him in the offseason broke off talks when he studied last year's videotape, saying Cromartie couldn't help his team because his play was so erratic.
    But that's a gamble the Jets are willing ... no, eager ... to take. They believe Cromartie becomes the player he was in 2007 because their defense is perfectly suited to him. Cromartie is a big, fast, physical cornerback who thrives in man-to-man play and who intercepted the Colts' Manning three times in his first pro start. But he seemed lost after the Chargers hired coordinator Ron Rivera and moved more to a zone scheme, and the Bolts grew tired of waiting on him.
    "I felt a little bit out of sorts," he said. "They went from playing almost man-to-man to basically playing a zone defense. When coach Wade [Phillips] and coach [Ted] Cottrell were there, we were playing a lot more 'press-man' or even 'press-zone.' But once Coach Rivera took over the defensive coordinator's job he turned us more into a zone defense, and it took a lot of things away.
    "But I can't just put it on that. I have to accept the scheme and go out and play in it. I can't just say me playing the defense or the defense changing was the cause of something dramatic. I have to put some of that on me, also. I have to abide by the rules and play within the defense."
    The Jets assume he abides by the rules, and they also assume he plays within their defense -- which is why he can be a weapon. Playing within Rex Ryan's scheme means playing opposite the best cornerback in the league and playing in an aggressive, attacking and suffocating man-to-man setup where pressuring the quarterback is critical. Tell me that shouldn't play to Cromartie's strengths -- provided, of course, he's the player he was three seasons ago.
    "He's the perfect complement to me," Revis said last week, "because he knows how to play the game. He came in here and understands what we want to accomplish in the secondary, and that's big. He doesn't really have to learn anything because he studies it and he understands it. It's good to have him on the other side of me because he's a playmaker, and he's a cornerback who can shut down the other side of the field."
    You heard him: Shut down. Revis last season shut down the enemy again and again -- snuffing Randy Moss twice, Marques Colston, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith and Andre Johnson -- yet, in the end, it wasn't enough. The Jets failed to reach the Super Bowl because Revis didn't have enough support against the Colts in the conference championship game.
    Well, now he might, and, yeah, I think the Patriots and Colts should pay attention. In fact, I think everyone in the AFC should. Their futures might depend on how well Cromartie and the Jets fit.
    "All I know," said Revis, "is that it's going to be tougher for teams to game plan us and throw outside. Maybe they'll try to attack us more inside, I don't know. But if they go outside there's a 50-50 chance something [bad] can happen. We feel confident, and the coaches feel confident. That's why we brought Cromartie over here ... because we felt he could fit in our system and make plays."

2. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Just dont ask him to tackle anyone. Big *** piece of :tdown:

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Cro will have more holding penalties than INTs
    Cro will have more PIs than INTs
    Cro will have more tackles than INTs (barely)

And we know he'll still have more kids than INTs.

Cro's only interest is in NOT getting hurt... so he can keep collecting paychecks to pay for that scattered litter he's produced.

But hey, we knew this already. :bolt:

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Yep to all the above. I can't respect a football player if I can kick the shyt out of him. (kickers excluded)

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Amazing how a trip to the Jets will get people thinking he's returned to 2007 form while ignoring the last two years

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Just shows how little attention they pay, or how little knowledge they have.

7. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    those are quotes from revis, not clark judge

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Soft is as soft does.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

Big *** piece of
    http://maaadddog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/****.jpg

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Cro won't lack for opportunities as teams will be throwing at him all day long. :lol:

11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Cro isn't a tough physical CB. He was never physical. WRs who played against him said as much. He also seems to have an injury history now being injured in the NFL and College.

They hope he doesn't play soft, but he just might. If he doesn't he might injure himself. Finally Cro might be one of the dumbest players in the NFL.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rex Ryan big damn mouth is finally starting to get him in trouble.

He says Revis is more important than Ray Lewis, he says Revis is the best defensive player in the NFL...Revis hears it, and now you have to pay him like it.