1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Welker helped off field with knee injury 5 minutes into game

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by IFiredCHart, Jan 3, 2010.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I don't believe that load of excrement for a second. I think that's the face they are putting on right now, BECAUSE, they are winning. Throw a little adversity in the mix and the real personalities will come out.

If you had a major coaching philosophy shift I could buy that this new attitude was real.

If you had a substantially different roster I could believe what you/they are selling.

You have the same players and the same head coach. You can't just flick a switch and make the egos go away.

That being said, I think you're a talented enough team to win the whole shooting match even if Merriman loses his mind and LT pouts on the bench for most of the games.

2. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Hmmmm......that sound eerily familiar to what this years story line could be if the Pats made it to SD.....:yes: I'd prefer we win, though, because we already have an established franchise QB.

You will never get an argument out of me that Rivers is a tough S.O.B. I came away from that game with a ton more respect for Rivers.

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    BeerGuy, you would be playing with the same house money San Diego was playing with in 2007 if you make it to Quallcom, but you know that I am a straight shooter on these boards, and I can honestly say that I believe in this team this year.

As a 14-2 team, we had a rookie QB, thugs in key roles, Marty as a playoff coach, and needed about 5 fourth-quarter comebacks in order to even get to 14-2...I knew that we would likely get done in that year, but I would never have predicted that it would be as sad as it was on that day in 2006...that collapse was almost TOO much.

Rest assured, with our current roster, I know history will not repeat itself. We will not give you the game, the Pats would need to take it away from arguably the NFL's nest offense and a talented, big-play defense that specializes in neutralizing deep threats like Moss.

4. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    If it happens, (which I don't think it will, the Ravens will beat the Pats IMO) I definitely will want to CRUSH the Pats, but the feeling won't be the same as it was in 2007. We do have different players, and some the same. The mindset is more confident, than cocky, and yes, we can win without Merriman, and LT this year, and have done just that.
    They both go down in the playoffs, it won't matter. We don't run like we used to, neither does LT, and Merriman has been hurt ALL year.

Pats are so 2 years ago. Playing the Colts would be more exciting, or even the Bengals (since I'm from the southern Ohio area)

5. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I can't believe we are having a smack talk over the Patriots, who we are not even playing yet, and don't even know who we will be playing for another 6 days. :icon_eek:

They still have to get by the Ravens.

6. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    You're right, it's late and I'm bored.

I'm currently in crap talking mode because, realistically, I know the Pats are in serious trouble. I won't give up on them. They will need to over achieve and overcome to even get to SD.

I still hope it happens, and I certainly hope we beat you. That's just human nature.

I'll stop now. Thanks for playing.....everybody.......

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You have, in fact, shown exactly the way to do it.

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308
    As per the story on NFL.com he has a torn ACL and MCL.

With Welker out does that mean Vincent Jackson will be named to the pro bowl?

9. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I don't know the order of the Alternates.

VJ, Santanio Holmes, Moss, Ochocinco :icon_shrug:

10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +297
    VJack ain't playing in that game anyway... :yes:

11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308
    I know that :p, I just meant to get some recognition

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Just keep stirring ****. It's just shows how you don't have any legit argument as to how your team will beat the Chargers.

BTW, the '06 game was under a different coach, so the philosophy has definitely changed since then. As for the '07 game, there was absolutely nothing wrong with our mindset in that game. We into Foxboro and went toe to toe with you guys, even though Rivers had a torn ACL, Gates was severely hobbled and LT was out with a knee injury. BTW, Merriman has never "lost his mind" and LT has never "pouted on the bench." But you keep trying to dream up scenarios where you can beat us.

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    STOP IT........seriously!

Check out his "action figure." Do you think that's an accident? :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

[​IMG]

Oh....and Sherlock....while you're unbunching your panties could you please re-read post #66 in this thread?

For the record, we were supposed to bow down to the Greatest Show on Turf back in 2001 in the Superbowl. That didn't work out so well for that super-talented bunch of overconfident football players. At least I have history on my side.

Thanks.

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    You're going to judge a future Hall of Famer, one of the greatest backs in NFL history, by his actions on ONE DAY, when he was probably devastated and frustrated as hell?

I hope you're just trying to yank people's chains and don't really believe what you are saying. You seem smarter than that.

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    You're pissing into the wind. The Chargers are a fine ballclub, and they deserve all the kudos they earn whatever they win. The Patriots are banged up, and their defense...although they had three pretty good games prior to the last one, is still enigmatic. I think the Pats have a good chance against the Ravens, and if they meet the Chargers, they will certainly be the underdog. '06 and '07 are history....so is the past season. Not much smack talk necessary for this one. The cards are face up on the table....no secrets.

LT's persona on that bench was of someone hiding under a poncho and a masked football helmet...not much leadership coming at all from him. Rivers is one of the toughest guys in the league...he has my respect. LT is a great football player, but on that day, in that game, most of the rest of the football world saw a fine player covered up and sitting on a bench while the QB was out there slinging footballs and taking hits with a fricked knee.

We can beat you if we get to play you and put more points on the board than your team when the final gun sounds. That's about the bottom line. I'll keep my fingers crossed that happens, and I'll puy my Bolt Bucks on my team, but I would be dishonest of I said they WILL beat the Chargers.

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Please do not bring up your illegitimate first Super Bowl win. The Raiders beat you fair and square in the playoffs. You shouldn't even have been in that SB without the aid and comfort of the Tuck Rule. I don't consider that as even being a title for you guys.

That being said I was the first on this board to be very nervous about playing the Pats in 2006 playoffs and will be very nervous if we have to play them this year. They can definitely beat the Chargers 4 out of 10 times they play them.

17. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    No. In no way am I saying that his time under the helmet and cape that day is a microcosm of his career. I was simply reacting to the comment that LT had NEVER pouted on the bench. That is a completely inaccurate claim. There is indisputable video evidence. No matter what the cause, he shut down and sat on the bench that day.

The picture posted was a reply to a person bending the truth.

18. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    No matter how you cut it, that was one of the greatest game plans for an NFL game.....ever........

You can't rationalize away that victory. I have some sweet Super Bowl gear from that year. There will never be a better Super Bowl logo, either.:tup:

19. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Looks like Welker's officially on the IR for the playoffs:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8158d7e9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Wes Welker's season officially is over now that the New England Patriots have placed him on injured reserve.

The Patriots made the move Wednesday, three days after the wide receiver suffered a serious left knee injury during the first quarter of their 34-27 loss at the Houston Texans. Welker led the NFL with 123 receptions, a Patriots record.

The Patriots also signed linebacker Thomas Williams from the practice squad, added wide receivers Nick Moore and Robert Ortiz to the practice squad, and placed wide receiver Darnell Jenkins on the practice squad/injured list with an ankle injury.

The Patriots will host the Baltimore Ravens in an AFC wild-card playoff game Sunday.

20. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    The figure in question is put into production probably 9 months before the game happened, just a coincidence. It was sold during the 2007 season. But probably the WORST McFarlane NFL figure they put out. The 2008 LT figure in his powder blue jersey is better, as well as the giant size 12 inch figure in the home Navy Blue jersey. :tup:

21. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Perhaps it was an omen portending the future...even if it wasn't, that's the way it worked out.

22. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Doesn't take away his career stats in 9 years as a future HOF RB, and one of the best all time.

If it was me, I'd be pissed on the bench with an injury as well being that close to a SB appearance, after winning a 2nd straight rushing title.

With an injury like he had, it feels better sitting, than standing in COLD weather on it. :yes:

23. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    :tdown: :puke:

24. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Say what you want, Belichick out coached the Rams & Vegas that day.:lol:

25. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Never said he didn't out coach him. Never said he lucked into the SB with that bogus tuck call. Never said he had fresh batteries for the camcorder prior to the game. :unsure:

I will say that they are lucky they had Vinateri. :yes:

26. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I would never downplay Vinatieri's contribution.

You also can't ignore a 1st year QB marching his team down the field, with 2 minutes left, on the world's biggest football stage. Hell, John Madden was saying, "I don't agree with what the Patriots are doing here." Then, 4-5 plays later he comes up with, "Now I kinda like what the Patriots are doing."

It took coaching ball and QB balls to get Vinatieri into position.

27. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I know you dislike Brady, but had it not been for the way he took that team down the field so Vinitieri could make that kick, it might have worked out differently. Another way of stating the obvious...the Patriots are fortunate to have had Tom Brady that day. The entire team did a fine job.

No one is dissing LT's skills nor his production...sure he'll be a HOFER, but on that day...he didn't come across as much more than a quitter.

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Only b/c the media MADE it look that way. Same **** they pulled with PR/Cutler. They kept repeating a 15sec clip of him on the bench like it was what he did the entire game. He did get up, he did talk to his teammates. the coaches/trainers wouldn't let him back in the game wth is he supposed to do? Throw a hissy so he could go in and be a toughguy (an unproductive, injured toughguy)?

It was freezing, he was sitting on a heated bench with his helmet on, talking to his teammates. He didn't quit on anyone and if he was upset I don't understand why it's so hard to get why. HE'S A COMPETITOR. Where the Colts players a bunch of babies when they had to stand on the sidelines and watch their perfect season go down the drain in Indy a couple week back? All of them were sitting on the sidelines sulking, unable to help their team win but no one blames them :icon_shrug:

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    What history, d-bag? Comparing your '01 SB squad to this one is ludicrous. Comparing us to the Rams of '01 is equally stupid. It doesn't make any sense. Just because the coach is the same does not mean you are the same team. If the Pats were as good as you think they are, they'd be the 10 time defending SB champions, but oddly, they are not.

I'm really tired of the pundits and fans talking about the non-existent Patriot mystique that is supposed to psyche out every opponent. Somehow it didn't psyche out 6 of the 16 teams they played this year. It didn't even psyche out the Dolphins. The Patriots are really good at running up the score on ****** teams, but not very good at beating good teams. They can't even consistently beat the average teams anymore.

30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    You are completely full of ****. He did not quit in any way shape or form. He was pulled from the game because he could not cut at all on a badly injured knee. That does not make him a quitter. A few random sideline shots of him sitting on the sideline does not make him a quitter either. You talk to any of his teammates about that day, and they'll say, to a man, that LT encouraged them, reviewed game pics with them and supported them in every way he could. Sorry he didn't break out his pom poms so retards like you wouldn't mischaracterize his behavior.