1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Well, at least one "expert" wasn't impressed-

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BFISA, Oct 13, 2008.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8670610/Pats-Chargers-a-bore,-like-much-of-NFL?MSNHPHMA

Pats-Chargers a bore, like much of NFL
    by Mark Kriegel

Mark Kriegel is the national columnist for FOXSports.com. He is the author of two New York Times best sellers, Namath: A Biography and Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich, which Sports Illustrated called "the best sports biography of the year."

SAN DIEGO - With fourth and goal at the 1-yard line, Matt Cassel dropped back to pass. "It's a progression read," he would recall. "We went through it, and I didn't see anybody open."

And therein lies the difference between Cassel and the man he replaced, between this season and last. Tom Brady would've seen something. Certainly one assumes he'd have noticed Benjamin Watson, the New England tight end, open and waving his arms in the back of the end zone.

But Brady, of course, had knee surgery last week. In his stead, Cassell tried to run. "I was hoping to make a play with my legs," he said. "It didn't happen."

As it happened, San Diego's Ryon Bingham put him down for a loss. The Chargers began to celebrate. The crowd erupted. The score was 17-3. There was still 9:12 left in the third quarter. But the game was over. Everybody knew it, even the Patriots.

As Cassel came into the season having last started in high school — his senior season at Chatsworth High, back in the last millennium — you can't really fault him. Nor can you fault Bill Belichick for not kicking a field goal. At that point in the evening, it was even money that the Phillies would score more than the Patriots.

What's more, after seeing just how bad his team can be, it's a wonder how Belichick ever got them to 3-1. But now he's coming up against the limits of his vaunted game-planning skills. He can't make Matt Cassell a legit starting quarterback. He can't replace Brady. Hate Brady and the Patriots all you want, but acknowledge what this season has become without a team most people loved to hate. Since beating the whiny Chargers last January — ending San Diego's hopes for the second consecutive year — the Patriots are merely a .500 team.

So much for that progression of which Cassel spoke. In fact, that play signified a regression — for the Patriots, sure, but also for the National Football League. What happened Sunday night at Qualcomm Stadium had been anticipated as a nationally televised grudge match between Super Bowl contenders. Problem was, it lacked grudge. It lacked drama. What was billed as a preview of the AFC championship wasn't fit for prime time.

Don't be fooled by the Chargers, either. I have seen them play twice at home this year. They've won by a combined score of 78-39. So what? They're 3-3, another .500 team. Figure they'll lose in Buffalo next week.

In a sense, this game was a microcosm of an underwhelming season. Consider the so-called elite teams. There aren't any. Or rather, there are two, both of them surprises of varying degree — the undefeated Giants, and more surprising, the undefeated Titans. Meanwhile, the Cowboys are 4-2. The Colts are 3-2. The Redskins, last week's darlings, just lost to the Rams. On any given Sunday, mediocrity reigns.

But back to New England, which lost 30-10, its second blowout loss of the season. Belichick was asked to assess the state of the Patriots: Was it a case of missing Brady, or was there more to it?

"San Diego played better than we did," he said. "They did a better job than we did in all three phases of the game. That's how I would assess it."

Brady's injury changed the balance of power, in the division and the AFC, for sure. But the Patriots seem diminished on defense, too, their aura of invincibility gone. They seem old and slow, especially in the secondary. Deltha O'Neal was burned twice, first by Malcolm Floyd and later by Vincent Jackson. Philip Rivers threw for three touchdowns — without getting sacked.

Cassel — 22 of 38, 203 yards and an interception — was sacked four times.

It also bears mention that, on Belichick's command, he called a timeout with two seconds left. How do you assess that?

Brady's replacement said something about watching the game on film. Wonder what they'll see?

Not progression, that's for sure.

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    What a c*ck knob! This is the same jackass who called us whiny 10 seconds after the Broncos fiasco. Wonder what his beef with San Diego is.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    wow
    I guess we still really suck :tdown:
    (because some people on this board are idiots who can't tell, that's sarcasm)

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol:

"Experts."

:lol:

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Who is this sarcasm person you speak of, and why are you so down on the Chargers after a 30-10 win? :tdown:

6. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    • Like Like x 1
  7. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I'm betting this guy caught herpes in TJ while staying in SD once and blames it on the city.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Not meaning to rub it in further, but what these "experts" haven't noticed is that NE's defense really hasn't changed too much from last season. Samuel is gone, true. Seau isn't there. But for the most part, it's the same lineup. They got very little pressure on Rivers.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease: :flag: :bolt:

10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Maybe he's T.J. Simers' boyfriend, so he feels like he has to talk **** about San Diego to make daddy happy.

11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83

Sounds like a guy who not only has a grudge against the Chargers, but bad reporting in general. I question how much he truly appreciates football given that he seems annoyed over the fact that its a race in the NFL and not just the same teams dominating. Given the lack of any real insight and his anger I question this "WHINY" reporter and his integrity.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Rep+

I love when seasons get unpredictable. Much more interesting to follow. (Except when the Chargers are unpredictable. I like it when they just win.)

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This was pretty superficial stuff, like most of what is written about the NFL on the national level, unless you deal with the Norting Spews or Sports Illustrated. People don't like us because on most Thanksgivings and Christmases, RC and posse are on the roof in their shorts sipping Champagne, wondering what the the poor snowbound eastern elite are doing. More pate´s'il vous plait. Get that pinkie higher son, you're embarrassing me.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    who cares what he thinks? I don't, I know what I seen last night and it was an *** kickin. Would Brady have made a difference? I doubt it.

We went into Boston last year with three main player's injured not just one. Guess what? we didn't get blown away. I laugh in this guy's face, he's either dumber than dirt or took one to many acid trips.:icon_huh:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe he should change his interest to figure skating. SOOO much more exciting. :icon_toast: