1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

well i doubt we'll draft him

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Dec 20, 2015.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
  2. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Good. I don't want us taking Nkemdiche.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I totally want him now. Telesco make it happen. ;)

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Why not? Over weed?

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The guy carries considerable potential to be a bust.

If you have ever watched him play, you will see him make a play that is dominant, but then completely disappear for long stretches at a time. There is zero consistency to his game other than that he is consistently inconsistent.

IMO, the guy is a bit of a head case that has a questionable attitude and does not give his best at times. Any off the field issues would only tend to reinforce that view at least to some degree, but I had this view of Nkemdiche long before his recent issues.

If we are going to use a high first round pick (#3 overall as of the moment), then it has to be for someone that carries much less risk.

None of this is to say that Nkemdiche will not end up being a great player. Rather, all I am saying is that there is a greater chance in my view that he will be a bust when compared to some of the other top rated players.

I continue to believe that Stanley is the safest of the possible top picks, but that our positions of greatest need are 3-4 DE, NT, C and OG.

Jaylon Smith is an interesting possibility as well. Of all of the players, I am most interested in seeing just what his measurables are. If he is a 4.5s guy to go with the rest of his game, then he would appear to be great fit with the slower, but very powerful and sure tackling Perryman.

I like A'Shawn Robinson, but he is a reach at #3 and may not make it to us at what currently looks like it will be #36 in round 2. Historically, DTs tend to fall in drafts, but Robinson is a consensus projection as a first round pick.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't see a lack of effort in Nkemdiche's game, at all. I don't see inconsistency in his game, at all. Each prospect has its flaws, and Nkemdiche certainly does. One of them is his motor, some games he shows a bit of fatigue, which is natural for a player like Nkemdiche. The guy is 6'5, 300 pounds and runs a sub 4.8 and it shows on the tape. He's going to run out of gas because he plays at such a intensity. I'd say another is his technique, as it can get sloppy at times, but again natural for a guy his size and one that plays with such intensity.

His athleticism is off the charts. I saw one game he lined up as a FB and caught the ball on a play-action screen and turn it up field for a 31 yard touchdown. With that speed, and his strength, he'd be a great addition to this team, lining up on the same line as Liuget, I think they'd be a great tandem.

For us to take him, I'd want a number of visits done with him, and character issues to be checked thoroughly. He has crazy potential. At #3, I agree, I probably wouldn't take him, but I'd be more than happy to trade back and take him. He'll go in the 7-20 range I believe.

Stanley will need time in the NFL. He won't come in a start day one at LT.

I don't think NT is a need at all, Carrethers needs to play more and we run a heavy rotation along the line. All depends who the coordinator is next year and what we're running (4-3, 3-4, etc.).

Smith would be a waste of pick, we've invested two 2nd rounders at ILB, doubt we spend another, we need this defensive line to be upgraded to get our ILBs free and to make plays.

7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    It is Te'o, not Smith, that represents wasted draft picks. Smith would correct the weakness that we have starting next to Perryman. Te'o is not good, which is why even as a rookie Perryman completely outclasses him. Since we only have one good ILB on the roster, getting another one, especially one that appears to be a perfect complement for Perryman makes a lot of sense.

Also, we most definitely do need a true #1 NT. Carrethers is a good #2 NT, but he is not a #1 NT. We have not had a #1 NT since Franklin left after 2012. Tom Dumbassco has all but ignored the position, which is a big part of why the run defense went into the crapper upon Dumbassco's arrival going from #5 in YPC against in 2012 to not better than #27 in YPC against three years running.

Because it takes young NTs time to develop, this ongoing major problem, perhaps the single biggest problem on the entire team, should have been addressed in 2013. But because stupidity has reigned supreme, that didn't happen and it really still hasn't happened.

Nobody said Stanley would start day 1 at LT. He would spend one year at RT, then take over at LT. Still, he is the single player most likely to have an above average successful NFL career in this entire draft. I do not think he has the highest upside, but he is very consistent in his play.

You are nuts if you think Nkemdiche is consistent. Your comments only prove that you are watching highlights and not whole SEC games. When you see the whole games, what I am talking about is pretty obvious.

Yes, Nkemdiche has extremely good raw athletic speed for a DT, but just as I said, the guy will make one great play and then disappear for multiple quarters at a time in terms of doing anything of real consequence. Don't take my word for it--just look at his stats. For a player supposedly so dominant, his actual numbers are very unimpressive in terms of production--less than three tackles per game, not a huge number of TFLs, and no meaningful sack numbers to speak of (less than many fat/slow college NTs get).

That lack of production is the red flag that would cause me not to take him early in the draft. I would probably pass on him in round 2 as well depending upon which DL players were still on the board. I would not think twice about taking Buckner, Robinson, Reed, Clark, Billings, Johnson or Ogbah over Nkemdiche.