1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Well that stung...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Last season at this time the forums were in melt down mode. Everyone, including myself was sure that Norv was some plot by AJ to get out of San Diego and that our beloved Chargers were going to be the embarrassment of the league.

They were 2-3. Lets recap.

September 9, 2007 Chicago Bears W 14-3 1-0
    September 16, 2007 New England Patriots L 38-14 1-1
    September 23, 2007 Green Bay Packers L 31-24 1-2
    September 30, 2007 Kansas City Chiefs L 30-16 1-3
    October 7, 2007 Denver Broncos W 41-3 2-3 INVESCO Field at Mile High

Yup, not the perfect start all us homers expected, deserved or demanded. Hell at times they looked more like the Raiders and Chiefs than the Chargers. It is true.

However, I hasten to remind us all (including myself) of the old adage in the NFL. " It is not how you start, it is how you finish". Can anyone refute this, I cant, we only have to look at last season to see a prime example of this. Our beloved San Diego Chargers were 5 and 5 after the second week of November, having lost a close game to the Jaguars. Then they went on to win their last six games, making it to the AFC Championship game.

Now we have cranky fans calling for the trade of LT, calling out Rivers for his first bad game in recent history, claiming the season is over. Why? Is it to insulate you from the pain that a sub par season would bring? That is understandable.

But lets look at the other side of the coin.

LT: No LT has not been LT. He is fighting through a toe injury and is improving every game. He still demands the respect of the defenses he faces. Trade LT? Are you daft? The guy is getting healthy, and he is doing it when we need him to. LT will be LT again, bank it!

Rivers: He has been solid for the last 13 games before this one. That gargantuan line backer that kept getting in his grill, Roth affected the passing game, but more than that, Rivers seemed to have an off day. Now is the time for that. Against teams like the Dolphins who have little chance of actually making the playoffs. The thing about Rivers is that he will bounce back. Nothing fazes the guy. He will be out practicing, smiling and throwing the ball today. He will take his lumps in the press conference and move on. That is one of his biggest positives in my mind. That ability to not dwell on problems of the past. Drew Brees did. You could see his frustration mounting. Rivers does not. The kid is nails!

Defense: The defense is missing Merriman, no doubt. But each week (with the exception of this one) they seem to get another kink worked out. They will come to form. I suspect they will do it this weekend!

Now lets not look at the world through rose colored glasses, there are some glaring problems in Boltsville as well.

Pass Rush: Pennigton is a good QB. Giving him 6-8 seconds of unmolested time in the pocket makes him a great QB. The Chargers are going to have to figure out how to bring the heat without killing the pass coverage soon. They are now going to face a young QB in Castle who has the weapons to hurt us if given the time. Pressure creates turnovers. The lack of pressure creates TDs. That is as clear as I can state it.

We have things to fix, but we can fix them. If last season is any indication, now is not the time to give up hope.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I completely agree... not to mention Chad Pennington owns us.

3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Good post, Conc.

I have not abandoned the season, but I have to say, I am very disappointed in this team. I have never bought this "slow start" business. I understand they have been banged up, but they are highly paid professionals. If the number one guy can't go, the number two has to step up. It's not like our second and third string guys are Arena league castoffs.

I am not one to blame coaching for every problem, but what is the deal with the up the middle handoffs to LT? You would think they would figure out that doesn't work after the first 17 times it fails. That is bad playcalling, and that is bad coaching. Hell, if you insist on running straight into the teeth of the defense, at least give the rock to Tolbert or Hester... someone that has a fighting chance. LT needs to get in space, not slam into the line like Larry Csonka.

Our defense is just plain soft. Others have already mentioned the sickening celebrations after the puniest of plays. And they think others mocking the "lights out" dance is classless? I hope we can finally put to rest this notion that we have a world-class secondary. The mark of a truly great player is consistency, and clearly we have shown none of that. If you play strong 25% of the time and weak 75%, then you are weak.

Don't get me started on the soft white underbelly that is our middle. Tight ends are getting contract extensions and Pro Bowl selections in there, while our linebackers are serving them snacks and a refreshing beverage.

I don't mind getting beat. Being a Charger fan all these years has thickened my skin to that, but I cannot stand players that don't compete, and that is exactly what it appears is happening now.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This thread isn't nearly vituperous enuff :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ..."Vituperous", only the second time I've ever seen or heard that word :lol: The first time was when I was suffering from a severe case of road rage:icon_tease:

It'll be interesting to see what BlueandGold comes up with as a Gold. I can't extract one positive thing from that malfunction.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I'm with you here, Conc, but allow me to change the angle slightly.

2-3 through five is indeed exactly where we were last year recordwise, and it is no time to panic; however, there are some troubling conditions in place here that were not in place last year:

1) The Broncos. Yes, they are 4-1 thanks in part to some dubious officiating, but nonetheless they are 4-1 and 2 games up in the AFC West. They were not a significant factor at any time last year, but this year is quite different and unfortunately we have to face up to that whether we like it or not;

2) Impact Injuries. We are now seeing the manifestation of losing Merriman. Jyles Tucker and Marques Harris fill in admirably, but they ain't gonna be confused with an All-Pro pass rusher at this point in their respective careers. Pennington got comfortable in the pocket yesterday and killed us, as did Delhomme and Cutler. Russell and Favre actually got rushed and made big mistakes, leading to the two wins;

3) A Tight Pack in the Middle. After this week there are 6 teams in the AFC with records within one game of .500. They are the Dolphins, Jets, Ravens, Colts, Jaguars and us. Since the AFC East plays the pathetic NFC West in out of conference play, the Dolphins and Jets can get healthy against that division, and now the Dolphins have a potential tiebreaker. The Colts and Jags have their issues currently, but if they get right soon we could be in trouble if we continue to sputter...and the Ravens are playing defense, well, like the Ravens, which keeps them in most any game. And of course the Pats are 3-1 playing that same division (luckily the Bills came crashing to earth yesterday against the Cards, so maybe there is hope).

At this point, I don't think we can count on a torrid stretch like last year, given that we don't have any evidence that this team can put together a complete game under pressure (of course, we did say this same thing last year about this time too). We'd better get started soon or there's going to be trouble in no small quantity...

Just my $.02.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good points, and keep tossin yer pennies in. It is not last season, but this team is actually ahead of where they were last seaso at this time IMO.

8. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Methinks we have enough of those type of threads already :yes:

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Conc, you might be bald for a while buddy. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah. But the Stone Cold looks plays.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Scifres is GOLD. He might be the only Charger at the Pro Bowl this year. I hope the voters realise how good this guy is.

12. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    I think Rivers is the one 'saviour' on this team and will be, even through his bad/off days. His positive attitude is what does it, as far as I'm concerned.

The only other positive I feel at this time is Scifres.

Even on their bad days, I have hope they will come through the next time.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That thought crossed my mind more than once yesterday... :icon_sad:

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Conc for pres! Conc for pres.! :flag:
    The truth of the matter is I look at it this way. I'd rather take a lost at the hands of miami than to the NE patriots. I knew we were going to lose one of the two and now i see that if we beat the patriots (which i have a good feeling about the game) we will carry an unloaded amount of inspiration/motivation throughout the rest of the season which was what happened during the titans game. I certainly see 13-3 possible. We beat the pats Brady or not, it's still the pats. Colts don't look spectacular, and my only real worry is PIT or ATL. We cna do this lets not meltdown. If anyone has a reason to do so it's me because i was sitting in the front row witnessing the demise of LT's 4th down failure. But i'm passed it.

Let's go bolts- we can do this! :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I hear you, but it would be pretty sweet to start fast and finish strong rather than the limp out of the gate approach of the past two seasons.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Agreed.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    It's incredibly hard to both start strong and finish strong. The Patriots last year had a great team, and even they slowed down towards the end of the year. If I had to choose, I would definitely rather struggle, suffer injuries, and have problems with continuity at the beginning of the year, and get all of that fixed towards the end of the year than the other way around. The NFL seems to be trending towards that as well. Look at the Giants and Steelers, wild card teams who won Superbowls.

18. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Agreed, but at 2-3 in a tightly packed AFC, we'd better get after it soon or we may be in a heap o' trouble :no: