1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Well thought out, football topic

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    *Disclaimer* If you are here to fight, or cry about the team, please exit now...

Ok, we have heard the teeth gnashing about the coaches, the D, the O, h3ll, the whole team. Reading through the threads on BoltTalk, it is apparent that we follow the worst team in NFL history... (a very little touch of sarcasm there...)

So... What did the Chargers do right in 2010? What did you see that you liked and gave you confidence or something to look forward to in the future?

What did the Coaches do that you liked?

Who was the Chargers MVP and why?

Who showed the most improvement and why?

Again, let’s please focus on the positives (or be civil with one another in disagreeing) in this thread, there are a plethora of other threads to bring up the assumed negatives or fight in...

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What did the Chargers do right in 2010?
    Ok, in my opinion, the Chargers played the best defense I have seen them play in some time. I know people feel they got pushed around, and in a few games that is true, but on the whole they performed better than I anticipated. Garay stepped up and proved to be a solid NT, played as well as I have seen anyone play since Williams had his dominating season. The secondary played better than I have seen any Chargers secondary play since Gill Byrd retired. I know some feel that Rivera did not play them to their strength, but I disagree. Weddle was used very well, a good mixture of playing up and supporting the run D, and good backup to the CBs. The CBs excelled in being in position to defend the pass. All in all, I was (taking the season as a whole) very happy with the play of the D.

Norv & crew get a lot of flak for not making adjustments. I again disagree. I felt they did an excellent job of making adjustments both defensively and offensively in the second half. The Chargers outscored their opponents by 110+ in the fourth quarter this season, no team in the NFL was better. The Chargers are and have been a second half team, to me that speaks of adjustments.

I could say Rivers, and that is a no brainer. Gates Could get the nod with a little argument based on injuries. But my MVP is Garay. He solidified the DL, and helped the front 3 do their job in plugging holes and forcing runners to the LBs or blitzers. He held the other DL’s accountable and in my opinion solidified himself and a necessary player to retain.

This one is difficult. Hester improved but I still don’t have the warm and fuzzys for him. Tolbert could get the nod, but he did not have a lot of playing time before, so who knows if it is this years improvement or getting a chance to play. Either way, he needs to get rid of the fumbles. Floyd improved IMO, but I wish he had more playing time, he lost a lot of momentum due to injuries. I think I would give the nod to Cason. He showed he can play on an island as well as make an impact in the return game

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    #1- I loved how Rivers showed that he was a stud and not a product of just having good receivers.
    #2- Not much
    #3- Rivers, see #1
    #4- Antonio Garay. Although he was very inconsistent, when he was good, he was dominant.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think they made the most out of having certain positions carpet bombed by injuries and I think their defense made huge strides to becoming respectable, something i hadn't seen since 07

I think some of the positional coaches did a very good job with the hand that was dealt with them; specifically John Pagano and Charlie Joiner who worked with so many individuals and managed to coach up scrubs and spare parts into very valuable contributors. I also did like Rivera's aggression on defense

Rivers, it's not even a question in my mind

I'd focus on three players; Antonio Garay, Antoine Cason and Eric Weddle. All three I think made major strives in their development and playing to become major contributors. They all still have a way to go but going from a scrub, a bust and a "problem" into three contributors is a big jump in one year and speaks highly of their future.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Quick question, not to be argumentative but because this seems a contradictory statement. How can he be dominant, and inconsistent? It seems to me that one negates the other?

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Because he had good games where he was dominant, and bad games were he was terrible (Like the Raider game that he wore his roller skates to), therefor he was inconsistent.

It is no different than a baseball player who bats .150 for 2 weeks, then bats .400 for 2 weeks. They were terrible for a period of time, and dominant for a period of time, therefor they were inconsistent

7. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    What did the Chargers do right in 2010? Fired special teams coach. Played Antoinio Gary & Tolbert & blitzed a lot. Resigned O tackle & Gates long term.

What did the Coaches do that you liked? Used trick plays on offense at times. Blitzed a lot on d.

Who was the Chargers MVP and why? Antoinio Gary & Tolbert both helped us win. Cannot believe so many people think Rivers helps us win. I could actually prove he loses more games for us than wins them but that would be too negative so ill stick with hoping i'm wrong. One day we will have a mobile QB that can at least step up quick and we will be greater. 9-7 team with #1 D yds wise is cool now we need a QB who can get us TD's in redzone and not FG's. Running QB's at least guarantee TD on turnovers inside redzone.

Who showed the most improvement and why? I honestly did see anyone improve as a player. Players most don't know about just got opportunity to do what i expected from them.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, I can agree with that. There were possibly 4 games this year the D all looked discombobulated...

9. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Coach of the year awards should go to who-ever wins the most challenge calls. Falcons, Patriots & Saints top 3. Have to be smart and quick, organized to see situation and make in-game dec. like that on a reg bases i admire them for doing so better than all the other NFL coaches. The one thing we fans can judge on how well a coach is doing.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thanks for your unique perspective. However, could we stay on topic please?

11. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Ok sorry. Also our D improved greatly over last year. Specifically our D formation was way better. Also used much more press coverage which bought more time for sacks. We led the league in sacks <-- awesome stat to own. Our D lineman with improved formation succeeded greatly. Our D was the best thing we did this year plain and simple.:bolt2: We disguised our blitzes better than most all teams this year surprisingly good news.

This is why Ron R is interviewing for Carolina's HC job.

In fact our D improved greatly to the point i intentionally didn't post details about what we did better so other teams don't realize how we improved/changed this year.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    What did the Chargers do right in 2010? What did you see that you liked and gave you confidence or something to look forward to in the future?

I liked the way they 'managed' the decimation of our receiving corps. Having said that, it probably says more about Rivers than anybody else, but I guess Charlie Joiner must have worked hard to get all the AN Others to perform when the main men were out.

Hard to like much when there is so much to not like. If anything, whatever we were doing on D to have us (almost) lead the league in sacks when we don't really have a designated pass rusher per se.

Rivers and Garay were for me the standout guys. I gotta go with Mr 17.

Not even sure we saw enough of Garay before this season to say he showed the 'most improvement'. No doubt about it though that guy is a load and seemed to me to be v highly motivated unlike others on the D line (Cesaire excluded). In terms of overall improvement, I thought Weddle had a good season. Dante Hughes, from looking 100% horrible anytime he saw the field before 2010 played some great ball, he never seemed to miss a tackle and was v much trying real hard all the time. I guess from what we saw of Cason before 2010, he is my choice. For me he is the best corner on the team now. Time for Jam to move to SS and bring in a vet corner in FA (draft pick will be too raw, Hughes is only a nickel).

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Absolutely. I am not saying it was just him, but since he was the person who was being talked about, that is who the comment was directed at

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I get it. Thought how the D responded in those games where they looked punch drunk was another thing we could be happy about. They came out of those and man handled the next team.

Actually losing to the Raiders twice this season may be what we needed. A wake up call to tell them they cant let games slip early in the season and always rely on the late season run... Time will tell. But that I thik is the main thing the Chargers need to focus on next season (or the next real season depending on CBA)... Starting like they mean it...

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What do you mean "They came out of those and man handled the next team"? The Chargers lost 2 more games following the 1st Raider game in which they gave up 20 or more in each game. Then the 2nd loss, they did win the next 2, but once again laid an egg against Cinci

16. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    To be honest, I think both Norv for Offense and Rivera for Defense did a fantastic job. The offense moved the ball on everyone, through the air, on the ground, however....injuries to Mathews, Gates, Floyd, Naanee, Vasquez, we still moved it and put many points up. The defense-was honestly as good as I've ever seen it. It was the whole team. Just a great effort by an entire team, no superstars, just a bunch of good players doing their job.

Well, I already covered Norv and Rivera, so I'll throw some love to Charlie Joiner, the WR corps kept coming through.

Rivers on offense- with all the injuries and missing pieces he kept the train moving.
    Garay on defense- guy was a stud all year.

Another shout out for Garay, how could you not? Also Cason and Burnett played great football.
    On offense- Hester was improved, and should get a nod...but I'd also like to mention a part time player who came up near the end of the year. Kory Sperry played really good. He showed some flashes as a receiver which was expected, but definately improved as a blocker.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I liked that they mixed in more run plays into the offense. Given Rivers' skills and Norv's propensity for the pass, I feared the offense resembling a run and shoot.

Offense: Rivers
    Defense: Garay/Phillips

Hard, but I would have to say Kelley Washington. Going from literally the scrap heap to a clutch player in the playoff hunt is quite an accomplishment.

18. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I agree with ANT...100%

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am going from memory, but I believe the D played better after each of the 4 ugly games.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ArkansasBoltFan

ArkansasBoltFan Norv Gotta Go

Ratings:
    +0
    What did the Chargers do right in 2010? They found a possible one-two punch in the running game if they stay healthy. (Tolbert, Matthews)

What did the Coaches do that you liked? Rivera made a league leading defense with little star power.

Who was the Chargers MVP and why? Phillip Rivers, if the team performs at the level they should be, he would still be in league MVP talk.

Who showed the most improvement and why? Mike Tolbert, although he had limited time this year, he displayed improvement each week he played.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I like that Norv finally hired Cool Guy to infiltrate this site and bring us all so much valuable information.:eyepoke:

22. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    What did the Chargers do right in 2010? What did you see that you liked and gave you confidence or something to look forward to in the future? Throughout the majority of the season, the team played exceptionally well on both sides of the ball. Had it not been for ST issues they played well enough to win several of the losses and would have most likely made the playoffs. Apart from the few games where the entire team looked off, the O and D were very good. STs are more easily corrected than the skill positions on O and D so I think next season could play out much better with the addition of a few mid level free agenst to bolster the ST squad.

What did the Coaches do that you liked? Using all three running backs in a RBBC makes it very difficult for defenses to adjust. I believe Mathews will be a very good NFL running back, but I prefer to see Sproles' speed and Tolbert's power mixed in with it. I loved the fake punt against SF, I think that turned the game. The defense used a lot of different blitz packages that drastically increased the QB pressure over last year. The coaching was more aggressive on both sides of the ball than I remember in past years. I think the entire coaching staff did a great job of dealing with injuries and getting a lot out of guys who would not normally be on the field.

Who was the Chargers MVP and why? Rivers, at times he carries the team.

Who showed the most improvement and why? Garay played great, Floyd stepped up and played like a true #1 wr when healthy

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Cant beleive your takin your usual shots at PR and like a Dbauge, you are trying to play the game tip-toeing on the line of staying on topic...

You are already ruining a thread I was enjoying from the first paragraph.

I dont have much to contribute to the topic yet, still lookin back at the season and it all seems to blur together and look all bad. I think its jus the hangover of not being involved in a week 18 game.

Deffinatly MVPs/ players that improved: Gates Tolbert Weddle Cason PR *of course* Garay if a old dog can actualy learn new tricks after all. More im missing like Tutu and the many receiers that came in and almost completly coverd the missing players. VJ who? Oyea and on a added mvp/prop to Cason on lookin so damn good returning in the end games. Sproles is I hope in the least gone from kick returning duties. Lets get us a McCluster or Arenas or even get 2 jus like KC...

24. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    What did the Chargers do right in 2010? What did you see that you liked and gave you confidence or something to look forward to in the future? I liked how the defense played minus a couple of games.

What did the Coaches do that you liked? I dont know if it was just me or what but it seemed like Rivera stayed agressive late in the games. Perhaps that was because we didnt have too many games with big 2nd half leads.

Who was the Chargers MVP and why? Team/Offense of course Rivers. Defense I'd have to say Cooper. The defense really looked bad when he didn't play. I assume it's his leadership and Audibles. Garay is runner up for the same reason. Defense is much better when he's in there.

Who showed the most improvement and why? Garay. Never noticed him much last year and this year I'd say he got noticed more than Jamal did.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I just wonder when someone will ban him. We are all tired of the Madden playing kid, trying to play NFL expert

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

this shiit never ceases to amaze me!!

this dood does know that challenges are almost always only thrown when a team gets to see a replay, right???

:icon_shrug:

27. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Quick aside. I know that in a season like the Chargers had, the grass is always greener and all that, but other than the first San Diego game in week one, our kick return game has been awful. Now, I believe that's much more a factor of bad blocking than a lack of ability in either McCluster or Arenas, but it has to be noted that our return game was really no better than yours.

28. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Replays are overrated. If you read my manifesto on MANY different forums....like Bill Belichick OBVIOUSLY does, you'd understand that the only thing that really matters in challenges is the alignment of Jupiter with Uranus. I would tell you more, but too many people are already stealing SOME of my genius concepts without paying me. If you'd like to help me get a job with the Patriots or Oregon Ducks so I can bring the full measure of my unparalleled intellect to bear, then I would gladly disclose more. Until then, you'll have to take my word for it. After all, you don't get to be a #1 13x world champ (in something) without knowing something about...something!

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In most cases I dont think coaches care too much about the outcome of the replay. I think most use it to stop the game and give their team a chance to get settled especially after a big play.

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I was pointing out that I think the coaches, players, and wives use the replay to help them decide if they will throw the challenge flag.

But cool guy thinks that great coaches should be measured by how many challenges they win

that just cracks me up. so much for our well thought out post thread