1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wes Welker - How did we miss?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Jan 15, 2008.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    This isn't likely to be a popular thread right now. But his success in New England begs the question. How did we let this guy slip through our fingers? What did the Pats see in this guy that both the bolts and the 'phins missed?

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    The pats seen that he started out in san diego and was picked up by miami, it's natural for anyone with that path to end up in New England, the unoriginal bytches.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    ******** Morty cut him. End of story.

Didn't he decide to keep Tamarick Vanover instead?

4. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Tom Brady did make Caldwell look alot better then he really is also

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Outside of that New England team, Welker is just good. He's Wayne Chrebet part II. How did we miss? Simple... we needed a lot more than what he could provide us at the time. Someone had to go.

Wes will stick around a couple more years and be on that border b/t good and great. Then he'll rack up a few concussions (like Wayne did) and stroll off into the sunset having had a nice career.

Although, he'll probably murder our DBs on Sunday. :lol:

6. doublej

doublej BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, I think he benefits being in the system he is in and surrounded by the other receivers in the mix as well as having the quarterback they have. I think Weddle could match up with him pretty well. And I'm hoping for a blizzard to come in and help us out too.

7. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Wes Welker is a decent WR, but he's a spectacular return man. He returned a punt for us in a preseason game in which he ran all over the place. I wanted to keep him badly.

But if I remember correctly, he was placed on waivers because we had to sign... someone due to an injury.

Also, was that the immortal 4 QB year? Brees, Rivers, Flutie, Lemon?

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Welker was a UDFA we picked up who made it onto the final roster as a #4 receiver and PR/KR which had been his specialty in college.
    He didn't look good in our first game against the texans and was benched then cut in favor of picking up Clinton Hart.

Welker was yeah Wayne Cherbet with punt return ability, he was talented but nothing special. Remember alot of people raised their eyebrows when the Patriots dropped a second rounder for him since he had been seen as a so-so receiver. Now all of a sudden he exploded with the Pats who I will give credit, they've given Welker a system and place to thrive and he's thrived more then anyone could've imagined.

9. ChuckShonta34

ChuckShonta34 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    No blizzard on Sunday but it is supposed to be cold (single digits) and perhaps windy. As a Pats fan, I was rooting for 40 degrees and calm but I guess that's too much to ask for a New England January day.

Welker has been tremendous this year but clearly he benefits most from the presence of Randy Moss. He has great hands and can catch the ball over the middle but the Pats are great about creating favorable matchups for Welker. I hear that the Chargers may match Cromartie on Moss with single coverage for much of Sunday's game. Do you guys think he can shut Moss down alone?

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We can't win them all you guys. :lol: I mean **** how many undrafted free-agents do we have that are major contributors if not pro bowlers? Nick is right he's the guy we have to pay attention to on sunday. :yes: I'm not hoping for injury but I really hope somebody gets a clean shot on him and rings his bell. :bolt:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't know and I'd sooner put Jammer on Moss then Cromartie, but I bet that'll be a kick *** match up to watch. The young stud CB against the 'great' WR, sweeeet.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Even AJ Smith makes mistakes every now and then.

[​IMG]

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Brady and Co. make average players LOOK really good

he ain't all that

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Marty just HAD to have Vanover.

That worked out real well.

15. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Matchups will vary. Chargers don't assign DBs to specific players, but sides of the field. If Moss lines up on Cro's side, then he'll get Cro. If he lines up on Jammer's side, he'll get Jammer.

Not a great choice for Moss, though, eh? I'd love to see Cro pick off some deep ball Brady throws up for Moss to try and make a jump for. If Jammer is on him, Moss will take some brutal hits. Jammer ended his season a couple years ago with the hit he put on him.

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Jammer beats him up at the line so Moss switches sides next play and Cro out jumps his *** ahaha

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hey dude welcome.

I look forward to your insights on the game.

There are a couple of other noteworthy Chargers sites (Union Tribune, Chargers.com, Glorifythepast.com) but this one rocks.

I actually drink beers with the owners and podcast people on this site so it not real formal or stuffy - screw that.

These are the actual fans who attend the games and have a good eye (not all of them) for talent.

Lets get this thing done and tell Boo to take no prisoners and any info he gets from his homies in Philly - right effing on !!! :tup: :icon_toast:

Go Chargers !!! :bolt:

18. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    A large part of why Welker is so good is Moss.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Yep. Moss draws a double deep which leaves Welker in the slot to burn slower safeties or the nickle back 1 on 1 in the middle/crossing patterns.

The Hoodie just finds players that fit roles in the pats O.

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I doubt the Chargers will match up Cro on Moss. People talk about that, but it's not the way the Bolts play defense. Almost invariably, Jammer plays one side and Cro plays the other. They don't matchup cover people with receivers too much. I think you'll be able to count on one hand the number of times Moss will be single covered in that game.

I agree that one of the keys to the game will be if Weddle can match up on Welker. The two are similar athletes, and Weddle will be physical with him.

21. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He was also cut because we had Tim Dwight, and you don't really need 2 kick returners, which is all Welker was at the time. Dwight probably would of been the one cut but I think he had a high cap number.

The Pats didn't do anything special in what they did, they saw a guy that would fit their team and signed him.

22. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Welker is now the most overrated player in the NFL IMO. When he played for Miami, he was a very underrated WR but not really that great. When you have guys doubling up on Chambers and worrying about Booker at the same time, it leaves Welker open... with Joey Harrington throwing it to him too. Now change the scenario, teams are doubling up Moss and worrying about Stallworth as well... except one big difference... it's not Joey Harrington throwing the rock... it's TOM BRADY.

I'm just glad we got a 2nd round pick for that overrated piece of crap.

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I believed since we had Tim Dwight on the team, the quota for fast, small white dudes was filled. (joke) I actually really wanted to keep him on the squad since he was FAST and had great football skills. I think he just got squeezed out of a numbers game too. Hey, I was MAD when they let him go, so it isn't my fault. :icon_shrug:

24. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    It is thinking like that leads to challenging the 76 Buc record instead of the 72' Fins.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl: that's good shiit right there...

26. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Like someone mentioned before that was the year that we kept 4 QB's and Welker was put on waivers with the plan of putting him on the practice squad.

It didn't work out that way and he was claimed by Miami and the rest is history. It was one of AJ's few mistakes. I'll forgive him that mistake because he has more hits than misses.:bolt:

27. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Really? Or maybe it's the fact that our starting QB, starting RB went out for the year. We had 4 safeties down down on the IR, two MLBs went out for the year. We didn't exactly have the same defensive line rotation all year with injuries to Holliday and company...

It's thinking like this that proves that every team has a bad batch of fans.

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    With Parker and Dwight both on the roster, a spot for a guy like Welker wasn't around, especially with an extra QB on the roster. Welker has had time to develop a good deal more than when he was a youngster with the Chargers. What you were seeing then wasn't what we're seeing now from him. I thought he was a great project player, but EP and Dwight were ahead of him on the roster and essentially the same kind of players. He's under six feet and under 190.

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    On a charger site, a patriot and dolphin fan get into a fight

there's something odd about this

30. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I'll agree with you on that.

But I think Charger fans and Patriot fans can agree Miami is a great farm team for WR. I think we did a little bit better with Welker than you did, but Chambers is a solid WR too.