1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wes Welker

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Aug 2, 2010.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    How he left us probably had been discussed before but I just missed it. Could someone retell the reason how the Chargers let him go? And what gem do we have to replace Welker?

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    He was nothing more than a special teams player with the Chargers.

In retrospect they screwed up letting him go but that happens to many teams.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  4. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    What happened was... The Bolts wanted to pick up Clinton Hart (The Hawrah!) on waivers from the Eagles, and cut Welker to make room. It's believed they were hoping to put him on the practice squad once he cleared waivers.

But he didn't clear waivers. Miami claimed him, and later traded him to New England for #2 and #7 draft picks.

5. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    So was this a misjudgment on talent, or Welker just bloomed in different system?

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Welker has grown a great deal since he first joined Miami. We were weak at WR in '04 and Welker didn't garner a second look at WR from our coaches. Does that represent poor evaluation or Welker's progress? I really don't know the answer to that.

What I do know for sure is that the only thing we were considering using him for was as a kick/punk returner. A lot of people felt strongly that he should have been kept, but these are the kinds of tough decision you have to make.

Welker is a totally different player today than he was when we picked him up. I don't think the Chargers' staff necessarily misjudged his abilities, but maybe undersold his upside potential. But you can't get them all right... we could just as easily have cut Antonio Gates.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  8. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Thank god we had him the last few seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Hey BG!

Nice to see ya. Welker is a beast. Any word on how he is after those two injuries?

10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329

Welcome back :icon_toast:

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I wish we would have kept him...

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Welker was showing really well, but we were really thin in the defensive backfield. Welker had made the squad and was on the roster for the first game.There were those of us who were not happy with the move. We waived Welker after getting Hart on waivers and the Fins grabbed him. He was open a lot and made catches. Hart was claimed off of waivers. We kept a nobody named Bobby Shaw at WR and another two players whose reputations were not universally appreciated in these parts-Eric Parker and Tim Dwight.

13. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Welker has shined in the Gay Pats offense. Perfect fit for him. Not so much coming up with the Bolts, or in Miami. Plus he was a better player by the time he got the the Gay Pats.

When we lost him he was not even close to being the pro bowl player he is now.

Did I mention the Pats are Gay.....:lol:

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I still think Charly Martin might have an outside chance to turn out to be the next Wes Welker. Lets see if sticks in Carolina. Wears the same number as Welker by the way.

15. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    That was also the year that we kept 4 QB's on the roster. I believe that Cleo Lemon was the 4th QB taking up a roster spot which could have been filled by Welker.:crying:

Brees
    Rivers
    Flutie
    Lemon