1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

West Coast Offense.....Chargers could probably do it.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 22, 2008.

?

Could the Chargers pull this off (pending Rivers health)

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    (I'M JUST SAYING THEY COULD IF THEY HAD TOO)

#1 Chambers- Deep threat, with great route running skills. Elite WR when he has a decent QB.
    #2 Jackson- Beast! Another developing star with massive potential, can matchup with any defender.
    #3 Gates- You can put him anywhere against anybody, and with our other WR's they wont be able to double him. A great TE is essenstial to the west coast offense.
    #4 Parker- Perfect prototype slot reciever, very quick, great hands, great routes.
    #5 Davis- Another protoype slot reciever, fast, quick, great hands, but sloppy routes.

QB Rivers- Understands the QB position, very accurate when healthy, a pure drop back passer. Just needs to calm down a bit when he gets pressure. With some work he could be GREAT!

RB Tomlinson- Would benefit most, it would take a hell of a lot of pressure off him and you can pass to him like Indy does with Joeseph Addai.......... just better.

2. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Oh gawd no! We come within a couple of red zone conversions of beating an undefeated team in the AFC Championship game despite an assortment of injuries to key players... and you then suggest to change the system? :icon_tease:

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Why would we change the offensive scheme? Because we can?

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm not saying we should, but yes we could if we had too.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    This should be lumped with P88fan and B4L's threads ......

Amazing ....

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think your taking me out of context.
    I'm saying we could if we had too.

To get to my underlying point, LT hasn't looked like himself.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wouldn't change the system, but incorporating some of the formations and plays in the overall scheme would certainly throw some monkey wrenches into defensive gears. Be interesting to open up a second have running a series of plays or two based on West Coast schemes.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think its the first time in LT's (7yr 300+ touches) carrer that we have the personell to take some attention off him, and that it would be wise to do so if we can.

9. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Using it occasionally would rest him a bit from the pounding without having to remove him from the game. I'd have to think about how hard it would be to shift back and forth between these formations, but AJ has put together a roster than can do both. All in all, l love the fact that we can finally attack over the top. I would not give that up.

10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I certainly agree we could execute the west coast offense. I think Retired Catholic is right. It could create a great change of pace as long it is not too difficult to covert the offense with out creating confusion among the Chargers. It certainly would relieve the pressure on LT. It is probably not practical, but certainly an interesting concept.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yeah .... even.

We have a head coach who runs an offense decended from the Gillman/Coryell/Zampese tree. A coach qualified to run that offense.

Yet, a poster suggests we should look into changing a system to a completely different scheme? He focuses on a few components, yet ignores the differences in OL and total personnel grouping/requirements.

Switching from this offense to a "West Coast" offense would be as big (or bigger) of a leap that switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 Tampa-2. It's not just about a few WR's or other skill positions. It's about the coaching staff and OL too. It's about every offensive player learning a whole new system, a whole new "language" and new ways of blocking, route running, etc.

This is ramblings without thought. ie - P88 and B4L .....

12. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    That's the crux of the biscuit. But I'm not sure this is a zero sum game. There might be a way to integrate some of the formations and plays to display a different look from time to time, but we cannot adopt the system. The team has finally adapted to Norval's schemes. There are ways to adapt an offense that are more flexible than those available to a defense. I'm not disputing the central premise, because it's like mine, but using it from time to time in a limited way is a great way to mess with people's minds. With the mismatches, about a dozen different plays would do it. It's use would be dictated by whether or not a given defense was over committing to a given strategy. The confusion might be valuable in the red zone or when we're penned inside the ten, to give ourselves some breathing space.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Something wrong with what we run now?

Norv isnt a WCO guy anyways, so no.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Are you still a virgin?
    You might be. I don't think cows count in this country!!! :lol:

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Obviously people dont know what they want in this case.

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Dood, under what circumstances would we have to change our offensive scheme? New league rules? Are we cutting our entire roster and re-staffing? Did Steve Young come out of retirement and demand to play for the Bolts? WTF are you talking about?

And I don't think Rivers has the mobility to be at his most effective in a west coast system.

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    OK, so this is another bash LT thread masquerading as a lame "what-if" thread. That makes it better. :icon_huh:

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Didn't we lead the league in scoring last year with our current system? Wasn't it the #2 offense in the league the second half of this season?

What a stupid thread....

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Well the vote its 8-7, obviously there are more mixed feelings than this being a stupid thread.:icon_shrug:

I'm just saying, they could pull it off if they had too. And hell no I'm not bashing LT, an MCL injury is much more serious for a running back who relies on his speed and agility, I dont blame him for not playing in the AFCC game when there was a future star like Michael Turner behind him.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Amazing how everyone that bothered to post a response thinks this is a stupid thread.

You're fighting a losing battle, dude. This is a stupid thread. Accept it and move on.