1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What’s latest with Chargers’ draft? Smith opens up

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Apr 20, 2007.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/what-s-latest.htm
    Late April is without question the busiest time of the year for Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, but it’s also his favorite time of year. With the NFL Draft just over a week away, Smith is spending most of his days in meetings with scouts hearing reports on players and finalizing the team’s draft board.

So what’s on the mind of one of the NFL’s most respected general managers as he heads into his biggest weekend of the offseason? Only here on Chargers.com.

First of all, what’s the latest on Michael Turner’s status?

“I know people are following this closely. Our position is very clear. I think the teams that are interested are pretty clear on this. Michael Turner was tendered at a first and third-round pick for this season. He’s a terrific football player as a kickoff returner and backup to LT. He’s a valuable member of our team. We are very comfortable with Michael coming back and playing with us next season. However, if another team presents us with a package that we think is advantageous for the Chargers, we would entertain having Michael go to a new team.

“What would that package entail? Obviously we know it’s not a one and a three this year because that paralyzes a draft. I’ve been on record as saying it’s a one and a three, but I’m flexible. By that I mean you could have this year’s draft or next year’s and decide which way you want to work that. Another team could also create a package and present it to us for consideration.

“If a deal doesn’t work out, Michael will return and hit unrestricted free agency next year. When he goes to free agency, he’ll move on, which he certainly should because he’s a great back and he’s going to be a quality starter in this league. We in turn will be awarded a compensatory pick in the 2009 draft. We anticipate it will be a third-round pick because of the high value on Michael right now, which will only increase in the open market with more bidding teams.

“We are clear in our mind. We know exactly what we’re doing. Michael will either be here or he will not be here. We will decide as an organization. I don’t have a gut feeling as to how it will go. I know our position is clear, but I really don’t know what the decision makers are thinking on the teams that are interested. We’ll just wait and see.”

All of the scouts are in for the annual “readings.” What has this week been like for you?

“We’re in the process of going through our readings. Everyone from scouts, coaches and the personnel directors have opinions and this is their opportunity to share them. Everyone has a grade on each player. Once we’ve gone through a position, we rank the prospects. Who is the number-one running back and who is the number-50 running back in our opinion. Once that’s done, everything is evaluated by how we feel their abilities stack up compared to the other players available.

“The second stage of it is who are we interested in. What positions are we targeting? There are some preliminary thoughts right now but that really takes place and finally comes together next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. That’s when you look at the entire draft and identify the eight guys we’re going after. You prepare as you sit. That could change. You could have more or less draft picks depending on how things may change.

“Once we have a game plan we’ll determine what we’re going to do and what the plan of attack is. You know the traditional cluster of players that we work from. We’re sitting at 30, so we have to have a realistic cluster that we think we’ll work with. It wouldn’t be a Calvin Johnson or a Joe Thomas. They won’t be there. We’ll identify a cluster of four or five players who we think should be around there. We’re pretty accurate with who should and shouldn’t be there.”

What specific areas will the Chargers target in this year’s draft?

“Everyone is discussing, nationwide and locally, wide receiver and safety. That’s a valid assumption, not because we don’t have good players there but because we’re thin. If you look at the safety position, you’re looking at Marlon McCree, Bhawoh Jue and Clinton Hart. That’s thin. Everyone knows how I feel about depth. There’s a concern that we need to address.

”When you look at wide receiver, we don’t have any veterans except Eric Parker. Vincent Jackson stepped up last year and we anticipate he’ll continue to grow as a player. Malcom Floyd has been up and down with injuries. Kassim Osgood and Greg Camarillo are there as well. We may entertain that need.

“Linebacker is something that we’re looking at. We like the players that we have, but again we need to add some depth. We have Stephen Cooper and Matt Wilhelm as the possible two inside starters. We don’t know about Randall Godfrey because he hasn’t made a decision yet. We like Cooper and Wilhelm, but they haven’t started in NFL. You’ve got Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips on the outside which is fantastic, but what’s behind them? Carlos Polk did step up in an admirable way last year. Marques Harris did an admirable job but we still need to create some competition and add some depth there.

“Also, we’re always looking at offensive linemen because it all starts up front. Somehow you have to create a solid unit that you’re happy with up front. When you look at our line, it’s not that there is negativity there at all. We like our starters. We like some of our backups but it’s always good to add somebody. It’s safe to say that it probably won’t be in the first or second round but you don’t know that until the player is there for us to make an evaluation on.”

What are your overall impressions on the 2007 draft class?

“I never get into rating whether it’s a good or bad class. I never get into rating the quality or depth in certain areas. All I know is that when the draft comes it’s very exciting. It’s always the same for me. There are always outstanding football players out there. It’s up to the individual teams to go out and identify the players who can help your team win. We think we’ve got a pretty good list, an exciting list that we can do.

“I will say that from time to time there is more depth at a certain position depending on the drafts. As far as we can see, it’s very, very deep at wide receiver. We think there are a lot of guys that could come in and contribute to whatever team selects them. I’m very impressed with the group of receivers in this draft.”

Why have the Chargers enjoyed the success that they have in recent drafts?

“I know a lot of people have asked us if we have some magical touch or something. I don’t think we do. We work hard like everyone else. We approach it very seriously. We have a plan and we execute it very well. We’re all looking at the same pool of players each and every year. I just think that we’ve got a lot of good guys, a lot of experienced people. We work well together and make the right selections. We’re very pleased with the body of work that we’ve had in the last three or four years. Hopefully we can keep this going by bringing in good football players to our team. It’s always about the players. You get the best football players you can find by any means. If you have outstanding players on your team, you will have a greater chance to be successful. There’s no question about that.”

The last couple of years, the talent on the current roster has hindered the ability of a few late-round draft picks to make the team. Do you see that trend continuing?

“We’ve got a lot of young players that we’re very happy with. It’s not wide open like it was four years ago. It will be very difficult for a late-round draft pick to come in. He’ll have to be really fighting for a position. However, if it’s a position we’re thin at, possibly the number itself could help that young man. I don’t know what positions we’ll target yet, but that always affects it.

“I’ll point out that we have been able to turn those picks into value. Last year we traded a fourth-round pick for Brandon Manumaleuna, a guy who played a critical role for us. In September we traded our sixth-round pick in this year’s draft for Billy Volek, our backup quarterback. The draft picks are used for different things, but the bottom line is we use them to try to get better.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    “Linebacker is something that we’re looking at.

JOE BEASON!!!

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Its Jon Beason. LOL And we've met with him like 3 times!
    I see him converting to ILB if we draft him thought. But I'm really against not drafting a WR in the first round

Vincent Jackson played A LOT last year, and only hauled in 27catches.
    Eric Parker had his worst year of his carrer, and has proven he's an injury case.
    Keenan McCardellwas flat out cut, our #1 reciever!
    Malcom Floyd had a break out year, with his.............. 15 catches, and 3TD's, and he's very inconsistent.

If we dont draft a big game WR what do we have? 3 WR's who didnt have more than 50 receptions last year, 2 of which are very young, all of which were injured at one point last year.

Its a major problem for us, injuries could cripple us if sheer lack of talent doesnt. And I know we could draft Rouse or Piscitelli or another decent SS in round 2.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Sounded like they're looking at inside and outside linebackers. And it sounded like they think they can use the 2nd rounder for a wr. That first pick will be the question. Right now one would say saftey.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    no beason

btw look at this name; Lamar Woodley

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Yeah, but how many WR's really make an impact in their rookie year?

Look at that list, and the lack of experience across the board. We need to bring in a steady veteran who can contribute immediately.

That's why I'm against taking a WR in round 1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

We need a veteran presence as our Number One WR. Somebody who stretches defenses and scares the **** out of the safeties.

8. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    What

ahah I didn't even notice I put joe lol, I was lookn at my draft guide in traffic and posted that reply from my sidekick 3 too lol, but yah I'm sure he would play inside, that would be nice then 2nd round safety like weddle then 3rd round might be early but mike walker seems like the sleeper of the draft and AJ is known for taking players he wants a lil early cause of other teams wanting a player, that would take a stab at the depth AJ is tryn to build up at these postions

9. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You're going to be bummed then. I feel like I have a decent read on AJ, and EVERYTHING I have heard from him sounds like the team is going to go in another direction barring a miracle (Meacham falling).

TK is 100% correct. WR's usually don't amount to **** until their third year. It makes me EXCITED to see what VJ brings after his late season rise, and it also makes me not want anything to do with a first round question mark.

Take this to the EC bank (and feel free to ridicule me endlessly if I am wrong): our #1 (barring a Turner Trade) will be a safety or a LB. Round 2 will be the position we didn't draft in round one (either a S or a LB). :yes:

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Kind of reminds me of last year. When we needed a left tackle desperately. And in the second round we landed some guy that made the pro bowl.:icon_eek:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

If we could clone McNeil for the right tackle spot....oh my god.....we would be huge nightmares.

I foresee A.J., based upon what I have read and the quotes I am seeing, to draft a WR in LATER rounds.

We need to shore up this fuggin' defense from front to back.

Still we have no nose tackle to back up Jamal. If he goes down, well we all know the rest.

The linebackers got thin due to multiple hits last year. We were scrambling to field the starters. Kiel had his head up his asss for the most part in the secondary. Donnie Edwards was just a flat out pusssy to pop the piss out of anyone so his lack of sack will not be missed.

A.J. needs to concentrate on defense and snag some disgruntled veteran WR who can start and produce mass sphincter factor via a trade.

12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    So eloquently stated. :lol:

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Got a feeling but some of the rookies we get this year will sometime during the season be needed and we'll be glad we got em.:yes:

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And I have not even had a beer today or whiskey or vodka, gin, tequila, etc etc.....:lol:

Wait till I get a few beers in me and then I am not remembering **** the next day. :lol:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah that is a fair assessment given our scouting staff led by AJ and his henchmen "The Nix" that we should end up with some players that make us go "oooo and ahhh".

I dig the **** out of our scouts and their ability to find the turds in the turmoil. :tup:

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    So what, you want to wait even longer to get a WR?:icon_huh: I dont think there are any veteran WR's on the trade market right now, certainly none in free agency. Improvment has gotta start somewhere.

If we dont trade Turner, and it comes between say..... Griffen and Rice, I could live with Griffen. But were not helping Rivers at all shying away from WR's.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    interesting thought. I wonder if anyones asked Rivers what kind of wr he'd like to have. TAll fast one, fast short one. Medium size with glue hands. I wonder if Rivers has a say in it. I like the idea of a reciever that has somewhat good speed. Smart, Can run a route and know where to be. But most of all. Has glue hands. Best hands I saw at the combine were meachum and jason hill and steve smith.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think I know who AJ is targetting 1, 2 & 3

19. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Got an inside source? :icon_shrug:

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Meach is my boy at this position. He's 6'2 211 and runs a 4.35 40. He's the prototype of what we WANT to draft at this position, but again he'll probably go earlier than 30.

I think Jason Hill will go too early in round 2 for us to get a shot at him, and the first round is to high to take a risk on him.

21. PressLevel@theQ

PressLevel@theQ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I know this might be a little far-fetched but go with me...
    Trade Burner to Buffalo for this years 12th overall and next year's 3rd rounder.
    Offer the Lions- Buf's 1st, our 1st, our 3rd rounder this year, and next year's 2nd. AND TAKE CALVIN JOHNSON!

With our 2nd this year we take the best available LB
    and with our other 3rd take the best available safety (weddle, piscitelli, or wendling)
    And then let AJ work his magic in the 4th-7th.

I know AJ just needs as many picks as possible to find some gems, but is anyone willing to say that Calvin can't come in for an IMMEDIATE impact?

22. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Welcome!! :icon_toast:

Buffalo wouldn't give up that much IMO.

I would be thrilled to get the 12th pick by itself.

23. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :tup:

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    You see, you give your thumbs up for that statement. But still no one has answered my qestion.

What do you think we should do? Wait even loooooonger to draft a good WR? There are no vets on the trade block, and certainly none in freegency?
    So if were not gonna draft a WR because they dont make an "imediate" impact. What the hell do you suggest? Because we know AJ doesnt like to sign expensive big name WR's.

Improvement at this position has to start somewhere.

25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't think we're gonna flip 1st rounders with anyone. We get a 1st straight up, or Turner stays a Charger. Maybe a future 1st, but we're getting a first.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Lack of sack...gotta love it! Trumpy, you da man!

Once Dobbins gets a little more playing time & people's heads start flying off when he hits 'em, people will forget all about Donnie. Coop & Wilhelm will pick up in the coverage aspect, especially Wilhelm.

We'll add a LB or two for depth, but my main area of concern is still the D secondary. If we pick a safety at 30, I think it has to be Griffin. Otherwise, we go BPA & get our safety in the 2nd. Then we get a guy like Hill, Walker, or Figurs later on.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Heres what I think.

I think Eric Parker is awesome dont get me wrong, but the guy has taken one hell of a beating on that small frame. And had 0 TD's last year.

I think that Vjack is overrated. 27 catches doesnt impress me. The only game he had more then 3 was against a depleated Seattle secondary.

I think that Floyd is EXTREMELY inconsistent. He doesnt run short routs for crap. And his "coming out" year consisted of only 15 catches and a season ending injury.

Gates is or Mr. Reliable as far as passing goes, but the lack of talent on the outside allows teams to stack the box on him and LT. A good WR would open our entire playbook like you've never seen!

All that being said, I dont think you can hang your hat on that recieving core. If the injury bug doesnt bite us, dissapointment will.

p.s. Higgens is crap.