1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What a weekend - Chargers beat Titans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm tired, and just got back home, but wanted to put out some disjointed thoughts and a few pictures. I'll get to my game thoughts tomorrow, when I can try to put togethers something coherent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I swore I'd never drink a Starbucks coffee .......

My Aunt Judie called and said they had arrived at the hotel, and to come on over to have coffee or lunch. So .... off I went. When I got there, I saw Judie and my Uncle Bob standing outside the hotel. Judie said, "I just met George Pernicano!"

Then a bus drove up, and out walked a steady stream of players. Cro, Flo, Jammer, and a few others that I recognized. We walked inside with them, and stood talking in the lobby.

Next, here comes the big boys. And the stars. LT came through the door, looked right at me, and I said "Go get 'em" as I patted him on the back. Merriman walked to my right, and Rivers to my left. I was 15 years old all over again .... a kid in a candy store, surrounded by his favorite players.

Before I had left my hotel, I grabbed my #41 jersey on a lark, thinking .... just maybe I could meet Lorenzo Neal.

After Merriman walked by me, I walked up to a player - I haven't a clue who it was - and said, "Do you know if Lo Neal is around here?" The guy pointed toward the elevators, and said he saw him go around the corner. So, I turned the corner and there stood Lorenzo Neal, looking straight at me.

I unzipped my Chargers rain jacket to show my powder blue 41 jersey. Lo smiled. I walked up, and HE EXTENDED HIS HAND to me. I was speechless at first, but told him I'm a Fresno State alum, and I wanted to wish him well. I told him I only got to see him play once at FSU, but loved him then and now. I'm such a dork. I asked for two favors. One, could he sign my jersey, and two, could I get a picture with him. He did both, and then we shook hands again and he went on his way.

So .... we go stand in line at the in hotel Starbucks, and Judie says, "I know that man, but I can't think of his name." I said I knew. I walked up to him and said, "Mr. Lofton, my Aunt Judie would like to meet you." He extended his hand to Judie and Bob, and we all chatted for a few minutes. That's how Shamrock got his first ever Starbucks coffee .....

Then, Hank Bauer came up to Judie and Bob. Judie said, "We know you" and Hank instantly remembered the parties at their house in Bonita in the late 70's (Hank dated one of my older cousins in '78-79). Very nice guy, and he and I talked for a few minutes. I told him I love him on Sirius as I'm driving down the road, but Josh needs to work on painting us a better picture. Hank said he knows, and is always trying to remind Josh about "down and distance" and so forth ....

[​IMG]

Saturday night, DefenseWins, ftwbolt and I spent almost three hours talking with Chargers minority owner George Pernicano. He'll be 90 years old this week. Sharp !!! What a man, and great stories!

[​IMG]

We met George at the team hotel, after meeting up with Joelbolt from Chargers.com. After Joel left, George just made himself at home at our table and we talked and talked. Then Dean Spanos and AJ Smith sat at the booth behind us. It's a long story, but I couldn't get a pic with AJ because George threatened to leave if I went over to say "Hi" to Dean and AJ. I think George likes AJ, but didn't seem to fond of Mr. Spanos. Oh well.

We watched the Mayweather fight in the team bar at the table, and Marlon McCree sat right next to me with him family/friends. Osgood was with them. D-Flo came in with Buster Davis. Wilhelm was around the corner. Dobbins in and out. Just a blast, and the players were all nice. None were drinking alcohol, just juice and such, but they had a blast in the real casual environment that was a packed team hotel bar.

At the bar, o-line protag and me.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    We met Jeromey Clary's parents, and they had real bad seats. We had the bottom row of the upper deck, which were better than their tickets, and we had two available seats so we asked them to join us. Great people !!!

Left to right:

Mrs. Clary, Mr. Clary, Silly (seated), sdbound, ftwbolt
    [​IMG]

I've got a bunch of action shots ... some good, some not so good. You can see the ball in the air just past the 25 yard line.

[​IMG]

Before the snap on the play (or two) before we tied the game .....

[​IMG]

I think this was the play we tied the game on ....

[​IMG]

After the game .... sdbound and DefenseWins with Jeromey Clary.
    [​IMG]

DefenseWins, Big Brother, Shamrock, ftwbolt, sdbound
    [​IMG]

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sounds like you had a blast Shammy! Thanks for sharing with us. Great pics.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sweet pics!!!

What a great game!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    WOW, I am jealous! You look like you had a great time. Getting to enjoy watching the boxing match with all of the players, sounds like a lot of fun. The Chargers record with Shamrock in attendance continues to impress, good job!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I can't even begin to tell all of you how much fun it was. Seriously, I never thought anything would top the SF trip last year, but this did.

The SF trip was all about us, the fans enjoying the heck out of ourselves, and on this trip I got "up close" with the team. It was different than anything I've done before .....

I didn't get to go meet the players after the game, but sdbound and DefenseWins should have some great stories on that. I had to bogie to the airport, and as it turns out both ftwbolt and my flights got delayed. We would have had the time to meet the team. Damn. Oh well. Kind of like not getting AJ's picture. How the hell can I be picky after meeting so many players and great people AND getting a win?

:bolt:

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Fantastic pix, thanks so much for sharing!. Jeromey looked happy and I know why!.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    What a great trip it sounds like you had, great come from behind win to boot.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn, Shammy, what a great weekend for you!! Can't say I'm not jealous! :icon_tease:

Thanks for sharing the pics & stories. And for bringing your share of good luck to the Chargers!!! :tup: :bolt:

10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    DefenseWins - Shamrock
    [​IMG]

DefenseWins - ftwbolt - sdbound
    [​IMG]

George Pernicano's 1963 AFL Championship ring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joelbolt - ftwbolt
    [​IMG]

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

SHAMMY!! WHAT SMALL FRICKING WORLD!!!

I MET CLARY'S IN-LAWS AT THE BAR YESTERDAY!!!

I saw there were a few fans huddled around one of two TVs that kept the game on. After we won I went over and gave high fives. One guy is one his phone and asks if I'm from SD. I said yes, he says his daughter is married to one of the players! I says which one!!!

He says Jeromey Clary!!!

:icon_toast::icon_toast::icon_toast:

12. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Thanks for sharing the great pics and stories Shammy! Glad the boys didn't send you home disappointed.

:abq2:

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I can't believe you didn't get a pic of Leslie!! :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

Meeting the players musta been a real kick, but I would really have likedta met George Pernicano...man, what a legend!! :yes:

Wish I coulda been there with y'all!! :icon_toast:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Shammy... great trip! Nice work.

Noticed that you didn't mention seeing Hart. Do ya' think he was busy trying to catch up with the Defensive Linemen who were ditching him?:icon_shrug::lol:

15. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Priceless!!! :tup:

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Very nice Shammy! i would love to put this in the next Bugle if you are ok with that!

17. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

No he wouldn't mind... for a small fee :yes:

:lol:

18. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Looks like you had a lot of fun...:abq2:

Great pics... :flag:

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Way to go in style man!

Great Pics! :icon_toast:

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Awesome, looks like ya'll had a great time! :icon_toast:

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Yeah thank you very much .. I would have liked to come to Nashville

after my week in Kansas City, because of the music city too

... but the best thing of a road game is the WIN :icon_banana:

nobody makes jokes of your team

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Well, 'cept somma our own "fans" :icon_evil:

23. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

24. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    I took the picture of the boys in front of the stadium -- why else do you think BB looked so happy? :icon_rofl:

Actually, Shammie was going to take the pic with me and the boys but I switched with him at the last minute!

:icon_banana:

25. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    :icon_sad:

26. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    BB took plenty of pictures of me!! :icon_tease:

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I figgered :lol:

28. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    thats some good stuff!

29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Thanks for sharing shammy. Great picks. And what a weekend. That signed Lo Neal jersey is gonna be a priceless family heirloom. :tup: