1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT ARE THE BEST CHARGER GAMES OF THE 00'S????

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 7, 2009.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Since we are coming up on the end of hte year and as well the end of the first decade of the 21st century, I thought now would be a good time to break out a question to the Bolttalk brothers and sisters; what were the best games of the last decade? We went from 1-15 with Ryan Leaf and Bryan Still to one of the best teams in the league with PR, Jackson, Cooper, Jammer and went from a team with Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison to being the team with half a dozen potential hall of fame candidates.

So in these ten years (anytime from 2000-the Tennessee game this year), what were some of your favorites? I'll put together a list of the most popular and we will count down on the podcast the best games of the decade as well as put together a poll on the forums.

So here are a few options to get you thinking (in no particular order)

1. 9/9/2001 - Redskins @ Chargers
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200109090sdg.htm
    I just remember this one as finally seeing some light after that disastrous 1-15 season. Our new running back showed why John Butler wanted him so badly, our new corners got an interception each, Tim Dwight took the first punt on the redskins' first drive and went for an 84 yard td and the Chargers beat the schottenheimer led Redskins

2. 9/29/2002 - Patriots @ Chargers
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200209290sdg.htm
    Before the Pats and Chargers REALLLY started hating each other, the Patriots at 3-0 took on the Chargers at 3-0 and Ladainian Tomlinson announced himself as one of the best RBs in the league. LT ran all over the Patriots with Brees and the defense providing the needed plays to slam the door on the opposition and send us to 4-0.

3. 11/9/2003 - Vikings @ Chargers
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200311090sdg.htm
    In a year where everything sucked, this was good at least. LT ran for almost two hundred yards, Doug Flutie started and ran for two TDs and passed for two more, and the defense did just enough to send the vikings to one of their worst spirals ever. Btw interesting note; first TD in this game for Antonio Gates.

4. 12/18/2005 - Chargers @ Colts
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200512180clt.htm
    How can this game not be included? Michael Turner's run to end the Colts bid for immortality, Merriman getting in Peyton Manning's face all game long, the bomb from Brees to McCardell to set up a go ahead field goal, the sack by Castillo to force the colts to punt setting up Turner's run. What a game!

5. 10/31/2004 - Raiders @ Chargers
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200410310sdg.htm
    The game that truly proved that the Chargers were on the ascendency and the Raiders were falling off the cliff. The Chargers dominated all game long sending the crying pouting cursing Raider fans away for good. This was #2 in our current streak of victories against the Raiders and, with the exception of the monday night massacre, the most complete *** kicking we gave them.

6. 12/5/2004 - Broncos @ Chargers
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200412050sdg.htm
    On a wet muddy field with four turnovers in hte first quarter from both teams, the Chargers secured their first winning season since 1994 and (though they claimed it two weeks later) their first AFC West title in that long. Also possibly the first time I've ever given thanks for Jerry Wilson on a football field.

7. 11/12/2006 - Chargers @ Bengals
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611120cin.htm
    The Paul Brown Relays and one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever personally seen. Down by 21 at halftime the Chargers rallied to score 42 points in the second half and beat out the Bengals. Philip Rivers led the team up and down the field all that half, LT got four touchdowns and Charger fans knew this year would be special.

8. 12/10/2006 - Broncos @ Chargers
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200612100sdg.htm
    I more love this game for its history - LT set the single season rushing TD record here. But the Chargers, for the first and not the last, brutalized Jay Cutler and dismantled the Broncos from top to bottom.

9. 1/6/08 - Titans @ Chargers
    The first Chargers playoff win in 13 years had the Chargers overcome their initial missteps to turn up the heat and steamroll the team that brutalized them just a few weeks prior.

10. 1/3/09 - Colts @ Chargers
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200901030sdg.htm
    The best playoff game at the Q EVAH! Darren Sproles run and the eruption from that was one of the greatest feelings and times I've ever seen. I can't think of a time when teh crowd was more fired up then that.

There's some ideas, let's hear some more!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The Chargers-Bengals game was my favorite game EVER for about a month. I flew to Kentucky to hang with a friend and go to that game. We went, the Chargers stunk early on and I was saying "I flew all the way here for this?" Bengals fans around me were talking a lot of **** (though they were pretty bad at it), and I kept having to listen to their gay post TD song. They even put the words on the jumbotron with a bouncing ball over the words so all of the hillbillies could keep up. Then things got interesting. We put up 42 in the second half to steal the game. Walking out of that place happy as could be among a sea of very pissed and unhappy Bengals fan was awesome!

That game was my favorite game ever for about a month. Then I took my daughter to her very first Chargers game. The Chargers beat Denver, and LT broke the single season TD record. The Murph was electric that day, it was just so damned cool. And how cool was it for my daughter that her very first game was that game? :tup:

3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Chargers-Bengals game from 2006. Living here in Southern Ohio I got to see it on tv, and after being down by so much at halftime then coming back and winning it was incredible. I have never been more fired up during a game in my life.
    A guy I worked with went to the game, and said Rivers was taunting the crowd during and after the comeback. Wish I had went.

Playoff win against the Colts in 2007 is 2nd, and winning the division title beating Denver on the last game of the season in 2008 is 3rd.

4. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    For me a personal favourite was the game in Fedex in Nov 05. I travelled over from the homeland for the weekend to see the game. After 3 quarters The Redskins led 17-7. From what I recall it was to that point an pretty uneventful game.
    Then LT took over. With about 3 mins or so left on the clock, he scored on a 30 yard (or thereabouts) run. We were tied 17-17. The Redskins got the ball and left their kicker with something like a fifty yarder to win it. But he put it wide. I was right behind the goal he was kicking into and I was never more pleased to see a FG sail wide. Overtime it was, we won the toss and after a decent KO return, Brees hit Gates for about 25 yards or so, and I thought grand, we are at least within FG range. Handoff to LT on the next play, he went between the centre and the left guard, then the safety, possibly Sean Taylor came to tackle him and LT just steamrolled him , he ran right through the guy and sprinted the 35 yards or so for the win, 23-17. I drank DC dry that night.:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Those are all good ones but you forgot GIANTS @ CHARGERS 2005.
    CHARGERS @ TITANS 2007 was one of the most physical games I've ever seen.

2004 was a fun season cause you saw the stadium gradually filling up more and more every week. Eventually, all those empty seats were filled with Chargers jerseys.

6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    I was at that one! I remember sitting in the upper bowl up there. After Brees threw a pick with about a minute left I started taking a bunch of heat from the natives and responded "The ball hasn't gone through the uprights yet." First play, offensive holding, next two plays do nothing. 53 yard FG short and wide.

Then comes the OT as you laid it out. Silence is golden... :icon_toast:

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Dude, you forgot the AFC divisional game in Indy in '07. That certainly belongs on the list. Any playoff win in the last decade belongs on that list. I think the Eli-hate from '05 game has to be on there, too. I'd also include the game in '06 where we beat the Donks at the Q and LT broke the rushing TD record.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    ABOVE ALL.... CHARGERS @ COLTS 2007 PLAYOFFS!!!!

When (Michael) Turner filled in for LT and Volek filled in for Rivers and got the job done, that was amazing.
    I also loved how the refs tried very hard to help the Ponies win but were unable to pull it off. Manning's last throw was dropped. The receiver was looking for a flag but there was no way the refs could pull it off without making it blantily obvious!!!

That was a great big middle finger to the NFL and we were the Party Crashers!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That was a fun game just because all the common hatred for ECry. Lots of really clever signs that night too, most of which probably didn't get on TV.

10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Lost my voive @ that game, it wasn't shawn taylor, and L.T sure as hell owned him, stiff armed the guy by the throat and dashed 42 yards for the win in ot.

Just before overtime I had these obnoxious little a-holes yelling "Chargers suck", then we won the toss, milligan waved to the skins and said "see ya" few minutes later I was scaring the elderly around us.

Prior to the game Hardwick was telling fans "you'll be cryin on your way home with your tail between your legs cuz your redskins just aint no good anymore".

Definitely one of my favorites of the decade!

11. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I have to say yes! That was a huge middle finger to the NFL. The favoritism that was given to Manning was so obvious cause they were trying to make Brady vs Manning happen. We straight out beat them even with the refs trying their best to spoil us.
    After that game I would say the Cincinnati game was all time. What a comeback. Rivers went nuts!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    shutting out oakland in their house on monday night, just cuz I hate them so much.

Tennesee vs San Diego 1st playoff win since 94 orr something and I waas there!!:abq1:

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I was there. :abq2:

[​IMG]

(That's my brother on the left)

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I started wondering why they have an owl in that song.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    You live in southern Ohio and you didn't go?!

I flew to Cincinnati from San Diego. :abq2:

16. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    For me it has to be the Bengals game. It was live here in the UK and by half-time, i had thrown my tv remote at the wall. I was so frustrated and angry. I calmed myself down and watched the second half and well the rest is history

• Like Like x 1
  17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    The best playoff game at the Q EVAH! Darren Sproles run and the eruption from that was one of the greatest feelings and times I've ever seen. I can't think of a time when teh crowd was more fired up then that.

I dont think you can say this was the best Playoff for Ever, the playoff game in 1992 where we beat the KC Chiefs 17-0 was pretty special.

There was no mention of the Eli Manning Game, that place was rocking from the opening kickoff.

18. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Last year 2008 Week 15 against the Chiefs, where we saved our season with a 4th quarter comeback thanks to an onside kick recovery by the Special Teams Demon Kassim Osgood. It was just cool because I knew we still had a chance to make the playoffs when we won... 2008 COLTS BOLTS OT playoff game is my favorite Chargers game. First time to the stadium :):tup:

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I've never had a better feeling after a game I personally attended than the one after the Bengals game.

And I couldn't even share that with many of the fans around me....

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    did your brother enjoy it?

21. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The back-to-back 17+ point come-from-behind road victories in Cincy and Denver in 2006 rank up there as in the top 3, or 5 at the very least.

Rivers and the Chargers that year did something that NO OTHER NFL TEAM IN HISTORY had done.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    He enjoyed the first half. :lol:

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    was he getting all giddy and all that

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    let's see... my personal faves --

xmas eve 06, comeback with 24 seconds to go against seattle, after that game i knew that vjax and rivers were somethin realllll special.

bengals 06, that doesnt even need to be said, its been repeated. :)

17 unanswered points IN TENNESSEE!! LT in OT, yeahhhh buddy!!

colts playoffs at the Q.

25. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Most of the 06 season haha. Knocking off the 13-0 Colts. The Colts games were Cro picked off Manning like 2 million times. Every time they've played the Colts for the most part actually. Christmas Eve 07 I believe when we absolutely pwn3d the Broncos. There's quite a few actually.

EDIT: Being in Canada and all it's hard to get Chargers games sometimes so I never actually saw the Bengals-Chargers game.

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    that was actually one of the worst wins I've seen, the offense did nothing, only special teams and the missed chippie field goal saved them

• Like Like x 1
  27. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I just remembered Cro and that incredible one-hander. I guess it's more just his play and being able to take Manning down a peg or two than the actual performance. That's just something memorable from a personal standpoint, just like the Denver game on Christmas Eve was just awesome chilling with the family watching the Chargers **** Denver. Maybe not the best, but one of my most memorable.

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Toss up for me...

the complete beat-down we gave the Donkey's last year, final regular season game was quite possibly the most fun I have EVER had attending a Charger game. Singing "nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye" each time a Donkey fan left as the 2nd half went on... seeing Hester and Sproles tear it up at the end... chanting "we want 52!" and getting it :lol:

the two playoff wins vs. Indy are tied for #1 tho - in their house, with our back-ups was bittersweet b/c it showed how stacked our team was beating the odds - but it also cost us the following week and a shot at the super bowl :(

last years playoff win at home... man, that was just... that was magic. i was at home and we totally lost it when timmy sacked peyton and then "game over" when jamal said that I knew it was true and when sproles scored the TD i was (in that moment) certain we'd be super bowl champs.

I guess Indy in Indy would be #1 b/c no one gave us a chance and it was such a 100% team effort from coaching to our biggest stars to the guys on the bench. Added bonus? Just ask an Indy fan what the name Billy Volek means to them :lol:

29. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I can answer that, I was there..... :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I have to agree. I loved seeing Manning get intercepted 6 times, especially that one handed grab by Cromarti... but it was an ugly win!