1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What Carolina Coach Fox thinks about the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    September 2, 2008

Panthers.com

On what he learned from playing the first two games of the 2005 season without wide receiver Steve Smith: It wasn't much fun. But I think, hopefully, we are a better team now. We've definitely got a tall order going out there against a team that was 7-1 at home last year and some people are picking to be the Super Bowl representative of the AFC.

On how he is better prepared to overcome not having Smith: Just a feel of a team. Time will tell.

On if he expects teams to load up to stop the run knowing the Panthers do not have a deep threat: You never really go into any game knowing. Again, that's why you play the game. It wouldn't surprise me if that's part of what they do. But those other guys playing are pros, too. They are all on our 53-man roster. They've all caught balls in the National Football League before. It will be like any game. It will be who executes.

On kick returner Mark Jones: He's returned (kicks) in the League and been successful at it. He hasn't played a whole lot of wide receiver. He's played a little bit. But I think, primarily, we are bringing him in as a return guy that's done both kickoffs and punts in the League.

On what the coaching staff can learn about the Chargers from Jones, who was released by San Diego in the final roster cutdown: Not much. Right now at this point we are worried about what we do. I think sometimes a lot more is made of that than really meets the eye.

On preparing for San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers: He's a good, young quarterback and he's surrounded by a pretty good cast. They've got arguably one of the better running backs (LaDainian Tomlinson) in the League, one of the better tight ends (Antonio Gates) in the League, and I think (Chris ) Chambers has performed as a wide out at a very high level. Not slighting anybody else on their football team, but he operates, doesn't make a lot mistakes and has won a lot of football games for them.

On the progress of the Panthers first-team defense through the preseason: I've seen positive strides. I think they enjoy playing. I think they enjoy each other. Really until you get into the preseason the jury is still out. It's how we go out there. It's a very capable offense. They are going to run the ball, play action (pass) you. (Head coach) Norv (Turner) does an outstanding job of protecting the quarterback. They've got a salty defense and they are very good in the kicking game. Again, I'm more interested in how we play as a team than just one side of the ball. But we're getting ready to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Fixed it for ya!

3. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I was going to do the same thing....beat me to it!!! :tup: