1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What do the Chargers need to get over the hump?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Ok now that the season is over, what is needed to take the next step?

My votes have always been for the lines - the trenches.

My first pick would be a defensive tackle or defensive end.

Next, I would pick an offensive tackle or guard.

What do you think we need to get over the hump?

Maybe nothing is needed? :icon_shrug:

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    They need to be healthy, and then need we need a RB to replace Michael Turner and BEEF.

Really, we just need to be healthy. If we were healthy, I think we probably would have won the SB this year.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I agree with the trenches. Then a replacement RB for Turner. It should be an interesting off season for our WR's. Parker coming back from injury should make it a crowded race. I of course would like to bring in a kicker.

4. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I agree.

I don't know, outside of Safety I think the defense is solid.

On offense we could use some line depth. We're set at QB, WR, and FB. Sproles is great for returns and situational use, but I don't think he could be a full-time back. We'll need another to replace Turner to back up LT.

5. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    One thing I think we need to fix is we aren't that stout against a power run team. Maybe Siler or Waters is the answer, maybe it's Jamal getting healthy.

That and fix our problems at safety.

Wouldn't change much on offense for next year.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I also have a feeling that we may lose a couple of assistant coaches this off season.

7. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    A REAL RT!!! then a NT someone who would require a double team. Hopefully AJ goes into the FA market this year for a RG :yes:

8. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Rumor out of Philly is Rivera is going to be Harbaughs DC in Balt.

9. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I don't think this team is hurting for anything...I'm sure we all believe that if this offense were healthy, the Bolts would be the team moving on. There's little doubt that our D started to wear out near the end of this game...Put a healthy Gates, LT and Rivers on the field and those first two FG are TD's, plus we move the ball more and keep their D on the field.
    BUT, we do have a draft coming up, I'd add a run blocking OL man, to many times this year we saw this offense not be able to move it on the ground. Perhaps a stronger ILB too, while Copper is fine, Wilhelm is at best a good back up. We aren't as strong in the middle as we used to be.

10. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Could be. The way I looked at it, Rivera is being groomed to take over for Teddy-C. From there it could be a potential head-coaching gig. I guess it just depends on whether he wants to wait that long.

The nice thing is we're not being gutted like last year. That's for Indy and Dallas:lol:.

11. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

ILB is fine Waters will be healthy next year and don't forget Siler

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Here's my list:

A legit safety to pair with Weddle and Hart. I like Hart much more than Mecree, and since Weddle plays all over the field on nickel and dime packages, Hart will still see a lot of playing time. We need someone who can smack guys and make plays in the deep zone.

A legitiment NT who can spell/eventually take over for Jamal. Jamal is old, and he is showing his age. He still makes plays, but he can't stay in for the whole game, and he tires out much quicker than he used to. Bingham is not a starter, and Mckinney is always inactive so I don't know what to think of him. Either way we need more depth at that position, and it will allow Bingham and Cesaire to play exclusively at DE where they are better suited.

Offensive line depth. I can see a couple of guys who would be battling for their starting job if we bring in some legitiment players from early in the draft. Line em up three deep and let them compete. Norv has shown that he is not afraid of benching guys who don't play well, and he does not show favorites, show AJ needs to bring in some Hogs.

Backup running back. Sproles is great, but he is not big enough to compliment LT like Turner does. We need that bruiser who can complement LT and Sproles. With turner gone, we don't currently have him on the roster. Maybe Gross?

Outside of that, we are set at all of the skill positions. Wide receiver looks to be a strength of the team next year, with Chambers, Jackson, Davis, Legs, and Parker. We can go deep, and substitute lots of packages on the field. Not to mention having a healthy Gates.

Rivers has shown that he is the future. He will win us many games in the years to come, and hopefully some championships. His fire and energy combine with his skills as a quarterback to make a great leader of this team. Norv has weened the team off of LT, and made Rivers the new leader of the Chargers. The second years is usually the hardest year for players, and Rivers has battled through it to become the leader of this team. The guys trust him, and he makes plays. Look for a great year from him next season.

On defense the corners are great. Florence will be gone, but I'm very excited to see Oliver in training camp, not to mention guys like Gorden and Gregory can step up. Shawne and Shaun are fine, and we've got some players to look forward to at ILB. Cooper and Wilhelm were solid in their first year, and they will be pushed by Siler and Waters for their starting roles. Great depth, and should be some good competition.

All in all it should be a fun offseason. Training camp and mini camp should be fun, with lots of competition at many positions. Wide receiver, offensive line, safety, and ILB to name a few. I'm also interested to see how AJ attacks free agency. He's got some players to resign, and I think he should look for a safety or runningback.

BTW, Norv is coaching the pro bowl right?

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Safety, DT to replace Jamal, right tackle and a small fast white dude! :lol:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    we need

Eric Weddle to take over at free safety
    Scott Mrzucowski to take over at RG (provide some beef and power)
    Legitimately look for a SS who can cover. I like Hart but I'd like to find someone better
    Shane Olivea to be traded for a third rounder
    Drayton Florence to get out of the city and not come back
    the team to go through some strengthening and conditioning programs to get tougher

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Healthy at the right time, thats it.

We have all the weapons, all the attitude, all the talent and leadership.

Not having LT and Gates in the redzone is the only reason we lost today. THE ONLY REASON.

16. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    1) Back-up RB to replace Turner.

2) Veteran back-up QB to replace Volek and battle it out with Whitehurst.

3) Back-up NT (no disrespect to McKinney) to rotate with Jamal and eventually take his place.

4) Pray that Waters is the real deal. We need another ILB to push Wilhelm.

5) Another Safety to push Hart / McCree.

6) Depth for the right side of the O-line.

17. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

Both lines, OL and DL and depth need to be improved, does Goff'er stay? what about RT is Clary the long term answer? even Hardwick is he enough of a mauler? Does Jamal's knees survivie one more year? is Olshansky enough of a pass rusher?

All games are won/lost in the trenches.

Stan 17

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I think our first pick should be a RT so we can move Clary or Olivea ro RG.

Then we need a safety ( but i prefer a vet)

and we need a DT and a RB since we will lose Turner.

19. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Safety...both safety spots need to be upgraded badly. I forgot about this. Maybe because I was in such denial about it. But mcCree and Hart are pitiful defenders.

Stan 17

20. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Fire Cotrell, let Baltimore hire Cotrell.

Stan 17

21. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

BTW, my one wish today is I wish I could be the rug under the chick on your photo. But I can guess Mrs Stan would not like it. Crazy sunday.

Stan 17

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We go in with a banged up offense and play them tough. just not tough enough.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Goff is a back up.

Clary is a back up.

Hardwick is too small.

Jamal is old.

Olshansky is a slug.

The starting talent needs to get better.

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Goff does need to be a backup
    Clary should be the starter
    Hardwick proved his weight in gold this year
    Jamal isn't old but he does need a real backup
    Olshansky had his best year

Dude, seriously

25. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I would suggesting not over reacting.

I didn't read all of the lists, but some of them were longer the the ones posted by Dolphin fans.

Chargers are solid team, some tweaking on the off-season not an overhaul. They beat last years SB winner, won 8 in a row and played the AFCCG very close.

At the risk of sounding more arrogant than I intend, losing to the Patriots doesn't mean you suck. Patriots are one of the greatest team ever.

26. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    agree on everything but Igor. He does his job and does it well.

27. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    With our first rounder this year, I'd say take the best overall nose tackle, guard, safety, or running back.