1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What do the decision makers think about the great WR Lance Alworth?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 29, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    ESPN put together a list of the top 10 WRs in history, which obviously sparked alot of debate. I mean they had Rice #1, and Randy Moss #2 (once again shoving their lips right up Bill Bellichek's ***). They also had Terrell Owens #9, Michael Irvin #5 and Marvin Harrison #10. So of course lots of questions about other receivers who should've been included; Andre Reed, Fred Biletnikoff (one of only two raiders I like, the other being Marcus Allen), Tim Brown, Lynn Swann and Art Monk.

The writer, Michael Sando, discusses almost all these and his picks. However, here's his opinion of Lance Alworth:

Comment No. 725: Lance Alworth was the best at his time and set many receiving records when rules allowed defensive backs to hit receivers downfield. He belongs in the Top 10.

Alworth's decision to play in the American Football League undoubtedly hurt his standing on the list. Some panelists raised serious questions about the defensive talent Alworth faced in the early days of the upstart league.

Its nice to know that in a list where you have MICHAEL IRVIN, RANDY MOSS AND TERELL OWENS, all of whom couldn't carry Lance Alworth's jock, the ONE hall-of-famer you question about competition is the Charger great Lance Alworth.

That's pathetic and piss poor research by Sando and by ESPN.

Another lovely appetizer of Hate to tide you over

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    It just goes to show this jack holes don't care about the past. They only care about today, last week, last year.

I'll bet a paycheck that ballsack doesn't know that Bambi caught a TD pass for Dallas in Super Bowl VI.

ESPN CAN KMA AND SMD ALL DAMN DAY LONG!!

EMBRACE THE HATE BABY!!!

PS. Fred Biletnikoff absoultly belongs in the top ten (STICKUM WAS LEGAL BACK THEN!!!) :lol:

PSS. Randy Moss is a cheater. He made his money pushing off defenders for years. Total Poser and quality jerkoff :tdown:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    link for the list?

Any list without Alworth in the top 5 is null and void.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Honestly, there is Jerry Rice and the rest is wide open for debate until the end of time.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The list has to start with Alworth and Rice. The putz also failed to mention Danny Abramowitz, the guy who essentially invented the modern position. There's three of the top five right there. Somewhere in here there should be some mention of Charley Taylor and Lenny Moore. DB's now risk a flag if they blow too hard on the receiver. Belitnikof used so much stickum the refs used to have to keep solvent handy to clean the balls he caught or the center couldn't exchange the ball with the QB without it sticking and the QB could properly throw it. That alone should put him in the top 10 of something.

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Randy Moss probably wouldn't catch 50 passes if he was playing under the rules of the old AFL. The guy can barely handle press coverage as it is... what would he do if DB's were allowed to maul him at any point in the route? And there are a lot of current NFL receivers who have never been subjected to the true litmus-test of those times--- can you play in a league where DB's are allowed to be head-hunters? Getting back up after a DB jammed the crown of his helmet into your rib-cage at full speed was one of the marks of whether you could play receiver in the NFL in those times.

I have no doubt that the current crop of guys are better athletes, but I also think guys like Alworth would have been better athletes if they played today because of modern nutrition and supplements.

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Yeah, when I saw that list, the first thing I thought of was that Alworth should've been the top white guy on there.

Lance definitely deserved better.

:no:

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree 100%

In my opinion Jerry Rice is the standard on top of every other WR to be judged upon.

It is how EC said about Jerry Rice.

Jerry Rice No.1 and then the rest.

Just my opinion.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
  10. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133

I was thinking the same thing.....The first AFL WR in the hall and he is not on that list.

I can't believe we have to embrace the old school hate now too! Bastards.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Absolute crap. Alworth is easily top five of all time. How Owens, Irvin, or Harrison made it is beyond me.....

12. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think Owens is extremely overrated. The stupid catch with the 9ers and his drama is the only thing I will remember him for.

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    It would be interesting to how Rice, Alworth, Abramowitz and Hutson, Lenny Moore and Charely Taylor would stack up against one another if they all played under the current rules and how Rice, T.O., Irvin and Toomer would stack up against them under the old bumper car rules. I think Toomer would do well and probably Rice. T.O. and Irvin would need attitude adjustments.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Toomer??

Many of the WRs of the old AFL deserve consideration; Charlie Hennigan, Lionel Taylor, Gino Cappeletti, Art Powell, et al. They won't cuz by and large, they were NFL castoffs, as were the QBs throwing to them; George Blanda, Babe Parilli, Al Darrow, Len Dawson.

Alworth is easily a top five of all time WR.

BTW, I think Lenny Moore was more of a RB then a WR; back then guys like he, Ollie Matson, Jon Arnette and to some extent Frank Gifford were referred to as scatbacks, but their position was halfback.

15. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I wonder how old this guy is. A lot of times, the guys making 'lists' and voting for hall of famers never saw the guys play.

Alworth was fast, he could leap and he had great hands. He also played, as some have mentioned, in an era when the defense could do whatever they wanted to a WR. And he didn't make all his yards by catching 5 yard passes and running. He went deep.

oh, why do we even bother with jerks like this?

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Sounds like the got their list from playing Madden....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Oops. I meant Raymond Berry. Old Timer's disease rears is ugly head. I mention Toomer not so much as himself but as a generic type of larger bodied Wide Receivers you see much more now than you saw back then. Interchange names as you will. Toomer was mentioned by some posters in their list of faves. I left out David Boston for obvious reasons. Off hand, I can't remember many wide receivers from back then who were much taller than six even or six one tops. Lot's of them were of plain average height and weight, like Alworth, who actually a bit tall at six feet. He weighed 180 eventually, but came into the league lighter. Berry was six two, but only on his long leg, since the other leg was shorter. These guys were the tallest, the bulk of the rest were just above or below six even and under 200 pounds, many well under. Charley Taylor was 6'3", but I don't remember any off hand of the 6'4'' and taller variety like the three we have on our roster. Harold Carmichael was a freak at 6'7" back then, but he was a hybrid TE-WR and weighed less than 230.

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Yep, articl 34442 section 7, I guess ESPN doesn't know the rules.

19. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Further proof that ESPN is being run by a bunch know-nothing ****tards.

In another article today the ESPN dipshits had Cutler ranked higher than Rivers by half a dozen QBs.

ESPN has lowered themselves to the point where they have Woody Page eating dogfood out of a can on live TV.