1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of Dungy...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigcarson50, Dec 30, 2007.

1. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    not calling that last time out. If I was a Browns fan, I'd be pretted pissed even if a win would still be highly unlikely.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Dungy doesn't care about the Browns, nor should he

The Browns should have beaten the Bengals if they wanted in the playoffs.

3. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    You're right! The Browns pissed away a good chance against Cincy last week.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Correct.

Even though I hate the way alot of teams did not bother showing up sunday. Those guilty as charged = Colts, Steelers, Jax, and Tampa Bay.

I guess it's just a fact of life that we will have to deal with though.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    They only care about their own teams....and they should only care about their own teams.

They'd rather have their starters healthy and rested come playoff time.

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    If the bolts were in the same position, I'd like them to do the same thing, ie rest key players... Although, I have to give some props to the Giants for going toe to toe with the Patriots, they had key players who needed rest, but they brawled... :icon_tease:

7. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    that's all well and good to say, but the fact is.... the browns won or lost against teams playing full strength and Titans won a key game against a team playing less than that. The NFL needs to address this topic. When there are teams playing in late season games with playoff implications, the teams should be required to play starters for half the game at least. Maybe into the 3rd quarter.

8. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    The difference there is that the Chargers won their game, the Steelers only screwed themselves and Jax and Tampa Bay games had nothing on the line as far as other teams making the playoffs.

The Giants earn a ton of respect for playing hard. Hate them or love them, they earn credit for having the nuts to play it like it meant something. Although, having said that, I wonder if that was an NFL front office mandate. After all, they had just opened this "historic game" up to all the networks. You think maybe they wanted a guarantee that viewers wouldn't be bailing out after the first quarter?

I wouldn't put it past the NFL or the networks to do such a thing.

Still, it was a good game because they played it hard.

9. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    The Browns win any other game earlier in the season, this is a non issue. In the last weeks of the season, if a team has earned a bye or home field advantage ... they have no obligation to play their players.

If Peyton Manning gets hurt, do the Browns offer to bench the equivalent player(s) on their team to compensate?

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I would expect they would just list those players they wanted to protect as out wuth injury then.:icon_shrug:

and respect to the G-Men for playing it hard against the c*cks*cking patriots even though they didn't have to.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    No way to do this, what if Payton Manning gets hurt? would the NFL "address" that also? take out Rivers also (the guy at the same position of the opposing team)? :no:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    He has a purdy mouth. :icon_eek:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Resting injured or hurting players for the playoffs is one thing, hiding healthy players in games that have playoff implications for other teams is bush league and lacks integrity. Fans and sponsors spend money on tickets and advertising and if a team is going into the tank, more or less, to sandbag the playoffs they ought to be fined. I'm fully behind sheltering people on the injury reports, but healthy players should be playing, unless there is a good reason for blooding players you made need to use in the post season. Jyles Tucker is a prime example. Using Whitehurst Sunday would have been another, since we'd get a read on who best to activate. Volek has made me really uneasy, considering Rivers is still a bit gimped. That said, I can't wait to see what's in store for Tennessee.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd rep ya, but I'm all out. :icon_sad:

Does anyone else hear banjos? :icon_eek:

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    As a coach you should do what's best for your team. Who cares about the Browns, they had plenty of opportunities and blew it themselves. Why should the Colts be forced to risk injury when they don't have to?

The Browns had a shot against a team that really had nothing to play for (Bengals) they blew it, then you add the loss to the Raiders and Cardinals.

I could just imagine the backlash that would happen if Peyton got hurt in one of these games.

The only time teams shouldn't bench guys or tank is when they're trying to get a higher draft pick, now that I think is bush league.