1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think? Michael Turner for Michael Griffin straight up?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BeTheHammerNotTheNail, May 8, 2007.

1. BeTheHammerNotTheNail

BeTheHammerNotTheNail BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the deal. McCree is still having problems with his knee, having it swell like a grapefruit in his first practice after not playing a game in five months and looks like he may miss some time. Other players (e.g.- Domanick Davis/Williams) have missed a lot of time over knee inflammation issues which don't always seem to go away completely. Also, our depth at safety is not great- McCree is not a star and Jue and Hart are only average. Weddle is an unknown but should be solid. Why not offer Turner for Griffin? I know, we need Turner for this year and the SB run. However, what makes for a stronger team: an excellent backup running back and a leaky secondary which is sure to be repeatedly victimized, or a strong secondary (with two very good safeties for the next 10 years) and an average backup running back? Tennessee may still bite. I'd make the trade. AJ was supposed to really like Griffin anyways, so he is unlikely to be a bust. Pinnock, Sproles and Gross wouldn't make the worst backups in the world, either (Fargas).

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What do I think? I think you're hammered! :icon_tease:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Aint gonna happen.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I love trade threads that have absolutely no chance of happening.

5. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    If I was AJ, I'd at least call and ask for a 2008 3rd along with Turner, they need Turner more than we need another rookie safety to go along with Weddle. It would mean he "lied" to the public, and AJ doesn't strike me as someone who takes his reputation lightly.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think AJ and Norv will wait until the July/Aug TC to see how McCree's knee has progressed before doing any safety deals.

Besides, they might also conclude that, if McCree isn't ready by then, Hart and Jue are better in the secondary scheme than what can be gotten in FA or trade.

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :yes: :yes:

8. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Don't mean to hijack the thread...BUT....who else hates Todd McShay. That guy seems to always throw jabs when assessing the Bolts. Has AJ not done enough to prove himself as a talent evaluator? :icon_shrug:

San Diego Chargers
    Work to do: The Chargers' inflated assessment of WR Craig Davis and DS Eric Weddle is surprising. Nevertheless, they did address their top two positions of need with those two selections. While third-round pick Anthony Waters is coming off a season-ending injury in 2006, he does possess enough potential to emerge as a future starter at inside linebacker, which was San Diego's third-most pressing area of need prior to the draft.

Assuming those three picks pan out, San Diego has almost no glaring weaknesses on its roster. The Chargers could use some additional depth at cornerback behind Quentin Jammer, Drayton Florence and Antonio Cromartie, and they also are a bit thin at offensive guard and along the defensive line.

9. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Clinton Hart has hands like waffle irons.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Why panic and pull the triggrer now? Other teams may have injury problems that will force them to give away more than they should for someone like Michael Turner. Training camp is two months away. McCree is a veteran without a need for a full camp or a bunch of exhibition appearances anyway. Even if he is light duty until mid August it's not a huge problem. If a couple of teams lose a key running back down the line and McCree is still iffy, then AJ can put on his Joaquin Murietta mask and rob the stage.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    he had quite a few interceptions

and I'd give some serious thought to this now

maybe Weddle at FS, Griffin at SS with Hart and Jue backing them up?

12. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Tennessee would look pretty stupid to make that trade after taking an RB in the second round.

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I do not believe that starting two rookies at safety is a recipe for success. :no:

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Me too!! :icon_rofl:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    fuq'im

17. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    If Todd Mcshay was actually as good at evaluating as he thinks he is, he would be working in a front office somewhere. Not working for scouts inc., where he simply gets to report on the positive and negative attributes of a player at a given time. I can do that.

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It wouldn't surprise me if AJ traded for some vet safety, but I don't think he'll trade for Griffin or trade Turner.