1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What FA's would you take a chance on

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Jan 8, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    So far i only see 2 that would make a huge impact

Mario Williams
    LaRon Landry

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Vincent Jackson

• Like Like x 3
  3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Your deffinatly takin a BIG chance there.

4. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Lol i meant from the other teams, the ones on our team are obvious on who needs to be kept

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    LaRon Landry is 50:50 as to whether he'll ever be able to play the 2012 season. People really need to stop going off of just name and high draft position without doing a little research first. He's in the early stages of recovery from an Achilles rupture that was worse than Butler's - mostly because it was an initial tear that he was told by the Redskins medical staff to get surgery to repair LAST YEAR and he still didn't - which resulted in him making it even worse this season (Merriman-esque) and landing him on IR again.

Mario Williams won't even hit full unrestricted free agency. It's just not happening.

As to guys I'd look to, who may or may not be reasonable given AJ's previous FA-signing track record:
    - [/b]Shaun Rogers, NT (currently New Orleans, formerly of the Browns and Lions)[/b]
    - Carl Nicks, OG (New Orleans)
    Notes: He'll be out of AJ's price range unless AJ drastically changes his approach, but he's arguably as good if not better than Grubbs and more likely to leave his current team than Grubbs is.
    - Tom Zbikowski, S (Baltimore)
    Notes: I don't view him as an every week starter, but he's an upgrade over Gregs as the 3rd/swing safety, he's a quality ST'er, and he's got a literal fighter's mentality (he's a former Golden Gloves boxer). I just can't see him as lock-down starter material because anyone who loses their starting spot to in camp to Bernard Pollard can't be trusted as an every-down guy.
    - Mark Anderson, OLB (Currently New England, formerly Houston and Chicago)
    Notes: I'm not convinced that the Pats won't make a serious play to bring him back, but he's certainly an upgrade over LaBoy and was someone I was advocating we bring in last year because his triangle numbers suggested he ought to be able to transition from Cover-2 DE to 3-4 OLB fairly well.
    - Larry Grant, ILB (San Francisco, formerly St. Louis)
    Notes: I've been following this guy since the combine his draft year; just always someone that was on my radar. He's a speculative Burnett-type pickup to hedge the odds against Mouton. Plays exceedingly well for the Niners in injury-fill for Patrick Willis this season.
    - Chris Hope, S (Currently Tennessee, formerly Pittsburgh)
    Notes: I'm not really a big fan because his play has slipped in recent years, though Michael Griffin who he's been paired with has also turned to hot garbage so he hasn't had much to work with either. If his contract demands don't get severe, he could be a decent stop-gap pairing with Weddle to let sit over top and play more of the deep(er) safety role while we either continue to try and get something out of Stuckey or groom someone new.
    - Cliff Avril, OLB (Detroit)
    Notes: He won't come cheap, but if we drop coin on anyone this offseason I'd pray it's him (yes, possibly even more so than VJ - or rather I'd be willing to pay him more $ than I would VJ). The guy has phenomenal flexibility and dip-and-rip capability and is a ball of fire turning the corner. We saw first hand that he's got potential to drop into zone in coverage too, considering we witness firsthand him getting a pick-6 off Rivers. Honestly the best, and IMO only, legitimate starting caliber OLB in this FA class.

• Like Like x 2
  6. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i knew laron landry had an Achilles injury but i was unaware that it was worse than butlers, i wanted him for his ability to lay the wood , and mario williams would be unlikely but i really hope we could land him

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Ben Grubbs
    Cortland Finnegan
    Robert Meachem

8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    how did i miss Grubbs, thanks man, he would be a awesome sign

9. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    I like LBC's list but i'll add to it. I was one of the first people vying for us to grab Avril going back to last year too. But are you sure Mark Anderson is a free agent? I haven't seen anything that would suggest so.

But here are my guys...

Martellus Bennett TE, Dallas
    Young, and a great compliment to Gates. He's a guy who's athletic, but not necessarily fast or quick. Good hands, great blocker and is a big redzone threat. He will get more of a chance to play here over Dallas because Gates is more one dimensional than Witten.
    Ahmad Brooks OLB, San Fransisco
    Did a very good job starting this year over Aldon Smith. Very good strongside OLB for a very good D this year. He wont get a starting gig next year with Aldon Smith playing lights out this year. So he moves to a team where he can do something similar.
    Quentin Groves OLB, Oakland
    Similar to Brooks, he will get uprooted as a starter IMO, and honestly he's just a bad fit in any 4-3, which is the only scheme he's played in. He's at his best rushing the passer, and thats something that he hasn't done much of for Oakland. He's never gotten a fair try on that. If nothing else, he's a guy who can play the run well, plays out of a 2 pt stance well, and is already a LB and is proven he can play there, and has good explosion out of his stance to cause some disturbance there.
    Eddie Royal WR, Denver
    I mean, lets be honest, He's not staying in Denver with Tebow throwing him the ball... He's a great speed WR and return threat. Really fast, Really quick and good hands. Isn't just a slot receiver. Could be a really good #2/3 with us.
    Justin Forestt RB, Seattle
    Really a good 3rd down back. He's somewhat of a homerun threat, but also will stick his nose in there in Pass pro, and will help give us a better option in 3rd down.
    Paul Soliai NT, Miami
    He's a beast and a physical freak. If we do in fact lose Garay, i would LOVE to scoop either Soliai, Rodgers (yah yah i know) or Pouha up and stick them at NT splitting time with Cam Thomas. He's one of those classic space eater NT's, but also has some quickness to him and can push the pocket.
    Phillip Wheeler ILB, Indianapolis
    LBC actually brought this guy up on FF last year, but he's a guy who we could bring in just to compete for a spot as a backup LB with us. Not a terrible option, and got screwed this year with a terrible colts team with ZERO talent around him.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Of all the names mentioned so far... Nicks, Mario Williams and Avril. That's it.

12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No Tyvon Branch guys? You think the Raiders are going to hold on to him?

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Sounds like a guy they would usually overpay to keep, but unfortunantly Al Davis is dead.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Robert Mathis, LaRon Landry, Carlos Rogers just to name a few of the big money guys........and maybe some interest in putting some on Nicks or Grubbs if Dielman retires. Otherwise I'd like to see it spent on defense.

Mario Manningham is a guy I really like too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Or it might be fortunate in this case if they don't pay him enough...

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4178/player?r=1

Mind you, this is a player that has been on IR for well over a month, who was "expected" to get surgery to repair the Achilles injury back in mid-December after going on IR, and who is now opting for "rest" over surgery. Sorry, but I've been snakebitten by this "rest will fix all" approach in the past with Merriman and his Achilles. The guy sounds like he's trying to milk a short-term contract and signing bonus out of a team just in case he's not able to continue playing. If nothing else, this doesn't bode well for him being able to make an impact for 2012 if he does end up having to have the surgery (which typically takes a bare minimum of 9 mos to recover from).

I get that LaRon Landry is a sexy name for folks, but you're really got to do some research into these things, guys. Google is your friend.

18. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Google isn't your friend......... Google is the devil. ;)

19. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Do folks here forget about Sanders when they mention Landry? To big of a risk IMO

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    In a word... yes, they do. People become too enamored with the "We could sign a guy who was a Top 10 pick (therefore he MUST be great)" notion.

Personally, I question how much some folks understand our defensive scheme (and I bring this up because it really hasn't changed a whole lot going back to when Wade was here in terms of the personnel we used). I mean, I get the desire for another Rodney - but folks forget that Rodney could also play deep center and, to some degree, cover guys (he'd have had hell with the modern athletic TE's like Gates, Graham, and Finley, given how much the league has limited contact to receivers past 5 yards from the LOS and hitting receivers in the act of catching). Where Hart was failing us was because he was too much of a pure SS and couldn't cover TE's. That's the same kind of player that guys like Mark Barron, to some degree Landry, and Tyvon Branch (at least that was the role he played in Oakland - far more an in-the-box safety; being he's a converted CB he likely could play dual-function I'm just being thorough).

Our scheme calls for a do-everything/dual-function safety; we don't run a pure FS and SS, but rather a 1A and 1B or Left-Safety/Right-Safety. Realistically we need someone who does everything that Weddle does (can do), just ideally with a bit better size so that he's capable of being a bit more of an enforcer (though that's really not as needed so long as the guy's a reliable jump-ball defender and a sure-tackler, because today's league penalizes secondary enforcers far too much by the rulebook). This is why I'm somewhat shocked that Gilchrist hasn't gotten more of a look as a safety, though part of that may have been because first injuries to and later performance by Cason created more of a need for him at CB.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Do we need a long snapper? I heard that David Binn may want to play football again...

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Binn always had an eye for the snapper....... #imjustsaying ;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I go with Robert Mathis and Tyvon Branch, and possibly Michael Bush if Tolbert walks. This fills our SS, RB and pass rusher needs. then we can concentrate on DL and OL in the draft

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'd also add Ben Grubbs to that list - no more Vasquez please. Branch I'd be intrigued by and he'd be a great compliment to Weddle in the backfield. I'd also consider someone like Tracy Porter as a replacement for Antonie Cason

25. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    At my age I'm not picky about snappers!:laugh:

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    [​IMG]

27. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378

Did Whiffy hand that over on his departure Blew ???

[​IMG]

28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Positive ?

[​IMG]

I hope you own a Coalminers hard hat and a compass at least !

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    It's a time honored Chargers tradition..... the Keeper of the Pylon. ;)

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Its passed through a few hands then of late ...... kinda like our Corners attempting INT's !!!