1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

what good is hatin marty gonna do

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reef shark, Oct 6, 2006.

1. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    ive had reservations about the offensive gameplanning in the past. but after reading vic caruccis article, of all ppl, i kinda agree with the guy. chill on marty. i would think that hes aware of the situation around him. i mean, hes not a victim of a nuclear fallout. so i had to start a pro marty thread... hahhahahha don wurry sd will be 3-1 after sunday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9707604

chill n hav faith

2. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Ask Vic: 'Martyball' correct strategy vs. Ravens

I'm a diehard Chargers fan, and I can't help but notice that the coaching staff, at least on the offensive side of the ball, is the reason the Chargers lost to Baltimore last Sunday and a big reason why they lost so many close games last season. Don't you think it's time that San Diego gets a new head coach? I mean, this "Marty Ball" is old and outdated. Marty Schottenheimer lets his offense play hard for the first two quarters of football and if he has a lead, he sits on the ball and lets the game slip away in the second half. I think it is unfair to Philip Rivers to be virtually eliminated from the football game in the second half and then be expected to rally his team back with 30 seconds left and only one timeout. I believe Rivers is the real deal in San Diego even though I was upset to see Drew Brees go. What do you think?
    -- Big Rich

I don't agree that a coaching change is in order after only three games (even though I do understand you are judging Schottenheimer's body of work in your assessment and not merely the first three games of this season).

I am all for aggressive coaching, for teams playing to win rather than playing not to lose. But not every circumstance is right for aggressiveness. The second half of the Baltimore game, with a young quarterback running the offense, was the wrong circumstance.

The Ravens defense is far too strong to risk asking Rivers to carry the bulk of the offensive load. Their linebackers and defensive backs were having a fairly easy time reading his eyes and anticipating where he was going to throw.

Although the result was a loss, it still made more sense for Schottenheimer to trust his sturdy defense to try and prevent the Ravens from marching for the winning touchdown in the final minute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I call BULLCRAP !

What was he watching? One underthrown ball that was intercepted by Bart Scott. It wasn't a bad read by Rivers, or a great play by Scott for the pick, it was an underthrown pass.

Rivers missed one long one to VJ when the DB was draped all over VJ's back. That's PI most of the time. Rivers missed a couple other passes by a yard or so, but it wasn't anything to do with the Ravens "reading his eyes and anticipating where he was going to throw."

The Ravens stacked the box in the 2nd half to stop SD's run. The only way to effectively move the ball was to have Rivers pass, but Marty chose not to do that.

The Chargers didn't need to be aggressive, just balanced. A balanced attack in the 2nd half would have killed the Ravens.

Vic either didn't watch the game, or is just a Marty apologist. Pathetic.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Has hell frozen over? I am in agreement with Adam Schein.

Nine Nuggets Previewing Week 5

1.) If the Chargers want to beat the Steelers, and I believe they can, Marty Schottenheimer is going to have the take the handcuffs off of offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and quarterback Philip Rivers.

San Diego ran the ball on five of nine third downs against the Ravens in a loss last week. That's unacceptable. Plus, on one key drive, started at their own 40, Schottenheimer ran the ball three straight times. And Rivers was playing pretty good football in the first half against the outstanding Ravens defense ... on the road, no less.

Even with a dominant running game, highlighted by one of the game's elite backs in LaDainian Tomlinson, you can not be successful against great defenses by being one dimensional.

In a game where you figure both the Steelers and Chargers defenses will neutralize the run, Rivers has to throw on some early downs to be unpredictable. Keenan McCardell, who was shut out last week, needs to be involved. And the coaches need to draw up more pass plays built for the best tight end in football, Antonio Gates, who has been relegated to bystander status this season. I am not saying air the ball out, but at least throw some receiver screens or slants to Gates on running downs.

If Gates and McCardell are involved, and consequently Tomlinson is given room to run, San Diego will win at home.

• Like Like x 1
  3. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    isnt mccardell hurt? idk if he can be a factor. hopefully theyll put LT out wide or in the slot at some point. but neways, i still think we can run over ne1 if we tried. and martys aight.

-reef shark

4. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Marty's gameplaning against good teams LIMITS our opportunity to WIN!!!!!

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    No sh*t. Rivers wasn't rattled in the slightest, the O-line was handling the pass rush, there really wasn't anything to "protect" Rivers from.

This has very little to do with Marty's concern for a young quarterback. This is about our head coach going into a shell as his nards shrink down to the size of a couple of raisins.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    There's not really any good in complaining about Marty, but, who else is going to do it? It's not like other fans are going to voice their problems with our team or coaching staff. Fans are getting sick of some of Martys calls. And we can see the talent on our team. So fans get frustrated. But what are you gonna do?:icon_shrug:

:icon_party:

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    It is not hate. It is pointing out the flaws in his coaching ability that impact this team’s ability to win football games.

The more he continues to "hand cuff" this offense after obtaining a lead, he is going to be criticized.

This is not personal for me. I don't hate the man, I just question his ability to coach this team to a win vs strong competition.

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    A strongly dislike the dude. It will morph into true hatred after the next "Martyball" loss.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Sure glad there's not alotta b1tchin and whinin here like that POS UT forum.

10. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yo alls im sayn is, it wasnt marty out there fn up snaps and missin tackles. his gameplan, bogus as it was, really should have been enough for us. i can name quite a few players that either missed big tackles or picks that noone even talks about. when it gets to a pressure situation, it falls on the players. most ppl would credit mcnair for the win, so our players should be treated the same.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,827
    People are mad and want to vent. Marty is conservative and that makes him a big target for the frustration.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    Dude, the bottom line is where goin 15-1, and aint no one gonna stop us. Not even our own coach.:icon_toast:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Prevents me from having an ulcer that's what

14. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I wonder what all the threads would be about if Martyball actually worked and we were 4-0 right now? His haircut? Wardrobe? Maybe the color of his Jag?

15. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288

No, the threads would be about : "so where are you staying at the Super Bowl" :nana_dance:

16. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    marty has a jag? what kind?

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Well, as long as its not personal...BTW, nice av :tup: :icon_toast:

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    When he actually shows some agressive coaching I will take it down. Right now he is coaching scared.
    Let's see how he plays it vs Pitt on Sunday night. He needs to trust Rivers to make the throws. He can't just shut him down for 2 Qs and then expect him to flip the switch and start slinging it around in desperation mode when the whole world knows he has to pass.

He wants to bring him along slow, fine, but make it consistant pace during the game. 1 pass in a Q is just dumb coaching. That is not how you get a young QB up to NFL speed. Trust Rivers. That is all I want him to do.

19. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    well man, i c ur point, they should trust rivers, but after a qb throws a pick, especially a young Q on the road, his confidence is kinda shook up, and thatll affect him for the rest of the game. i dont blame marty for not wanting to find out if rivers would f up even more. yea i know, rivers should be given the chance to overcome adversity, bc thats what good QBs do, but the circumstances just didnt favor this.

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Again, y'all don't need my approval to have stooopid avs.

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    :tup: :tup:
    That's right - let Rivers work in the air and Tomlinson on the ground
    and they'll succeed. We have to bring all of our personell into top speed - then Martybal will be forgotten.l