1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done for me lately

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    (posted at UT by ickyray)

So lets hear all the nay sayers talk about how this is nothing, crap, just stuff rolled up against chump teams (while usign the excuse that we lost to said chump vikings team)...

this should clearly show that the Chargers, and their Coaching staff are doing things right!

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    That's certainly some impressive stuff right there.

Some people are nervous about this game. While I can't blame them, I personally am not. This game isn't going to be pretty. Notice how the Chargers have been saying jack all week while the Titans have been chirping like baby birds?

This team's got the Terminator look to them right now. They've got a chip on their shoulder the size of New England.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I understand being nervos. i am a bit, simply because this is the playoffs. I cant see throwing the team of coach under the bus as some have. But as I have been told that is their right...

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    nice, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves... one more stat: what was the combined win-loss record of those 6 teams/victories (37-59)...

is it Sunday yet...

• Like Like x 1
  5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    For some reason, I'm not as nervous as I was last year. Maybe it's not having Marty's curse to worry about.

6. Charger Chick

Charger Chick Queen of LOL

Ratings:
    +124
    lmaooo.. Same here.

0 2 days
    0 4 hours
    4 8 minutes
    5 6 seconds
    5 8 0 milliseconds

dang this week is slowwwwwwwwww lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    The turnover stat is huge, and that's no accident, either. Rivera's obviously brought the turnover-centric mentality from last year's Bears defense with him, and the emergence of Cro has helped big time. Not to mention that his linebacking corps is just freakin' terrific.

I don't miss Manusky at all, and I didn't believe I'd be saying that.

If the defense looked like this all year, we'd be getting "best ever" mentions like the Bears did last year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Here's an excerpt from a UT article that lays it all out:

"Meanwhile, the Chargers lost at Green Bay (13-3), Jacksonville (11-5), New England (but who didn't) and there was the brutal defeat at home to Kansas City (4-12). Since Nov. 25, when they went on this run, they've beaten one winning team (Tennessee, 10-6), their other wins coming over Baltimore (5-11), K.C., Detroit (7-9), Denver (7-9) and Oakland (4-12)."

Combined win-loss record of our last six opponents = 37-59.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

Yes it is 37-59.

But includes wins over the 11th ranked O, and the 5th and 6th ranked Ds.

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    "clearly",
    stats can be deceiving... :lol:

speaking of clear, weather.com has upgraded the projection to "Chance of Showers" with 40% precip... upper 50's...:icon_banana:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Which way? So are you contending that the Chargers are not on an upswing?

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The reason I'm nervous is simple

We had every reason to beat the Jets in 2004 and we were clearly the superior team, so I was confident. We lost

We had every reason to beat the Patriots in 2006, we were clearly superior and I was confident. We lost again

At this point I'm not taking anything for granted even though I know in my heart that the chargers are better especially with all the injuries the titans have had

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I like that we made to playoffs. I'm ready for the new season

PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!

:abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What was the Vikings record? Didnt Baltimore lose to the Dolphins? What is the point of this? Should we all start wearing paper bags over our heads because of what other teams records are.

The fact is we faced 3 defenses in the top half of the league in those last 6 games, including the 5th and 6th ranked D. Guess that doesnt count because of the combined win total? River's production doenst count against them?

Our Defenses production against the 11th ranked offense in the league durring that time doesnt count?

So how does that wokr again?

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I share your lack of nervousness, last year I had butterflies the entire week along with the Jet's game in 04', guess it's a good sign.:tup:

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I know, if these experts are gonna use stats then use ALL of them!!!

otherwise, ANY GIVEN SUNDAY BABY!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

TK continues to hit the head of the nail!!!!! :tup:

BTW... this does not make him, myself, or anybody else who has realized this pessimistic!! It's just plain facts!!!!
    We ALL are rooting for our Chargers and for most part, feel good about going into the playoffs!!!
    BUT, we have yet to see a solid win over a winning team!!!
    This Sunday would be a great start!!!!!! :bolt:

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Now it's down to 30%. :tup:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The Vikings are in the playoffs and the Ravens suck!!!

Again... The point is that we have yet to get a solid win over a winning team. What is that so hard to understand? :confused:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Not pesimistic huh? Sunday is a start? Hmmm. that must mean the Titans are a winning team, too bead we didnt beat them in week 14 i guess...:unsure::tdown:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Wow really?

We did not beat the Titans?

We did not beat the Colts?

Maybe you should try and get on the scheduling commity so you can give us a schedule you would respect since you think so lowly of who we beat...:tdown:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am no expert, I am a fan just like you, and all the stats were used. Sorry some of yall cant take the good without looking for the dark cloud.:tdown:

23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

uhhhh

I was agreeing with you

:icon_huh::icon_huh::icon_huh:

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Thanks for the props, but for what it's worth, I was only answering Ron's question. Nowhere in my post did I opine regarding the "legitimacy" of our season-ending winning streak.

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Of course, 8 of those losses were courtesy of the Chargers. The Chargers can hardly be knocked for worsening the won/loss record of the teams they've beaten.

Let's look at the six wins in a little more detail:

The Chargers beat Baltimore convincingly 32-14. They harassed Kyle Boller all day and Philip Rivers had perhaps his best game of the season. The next week, the Ravens battled NE to the wire before losing by 3.

The Chargers went into KC and beat the Chiefs 24-10, avenging their only home loss of the season. The defense posted nine sacks and Cro had a couple picks. LT was his dominant self.

They beat Tennessee in a game where the Chargers were banged up and Rivers and the O line playing less than their best. Despite going up against one of the league's top rated run defenses, LT rushed for 140 yards and Rivers played clutch at the end of the game to bring the Chargers back. The defense played well. The Titans only TDs were the result of them having a short field. Vince Young struggled and the Chargers run defense allowed the Titans less than 4 yards per carry despite playing much of the 2nd half without Jamal, Merriman and Igor.

The next week the Chargers just absolutely annihlated the Lions. Merriman did not play, but it hardly mattered as the Bolts rolled out to a 27-0 lead and the Chargers cruised to a 51-14 win. You can say the Lions are a bad team, but the week before being blown out by the Bolts, the Lions came within a point of beating the 13-3 Cowboys.

Against Denver the following week, the defense was dominant and the offense was solid as the Bolts blew out the Donks 23-3. Denver may have finished 7-9, but they played a few playoff teams pretty tough this year, beating Pittsburgh and Tennesse and losing to the Packers in overtime.

The Chargers beat Chokeland yet again to finish the season. Not a pretty performance, but they got the job done even though it would have been easy for them to look past the Turds with the playoffs only a week away.

During this six week stretch, Rivers has compiled a passer rating of 93.0, LT has rushed for 6+ yards per carry and the defense has allowed the fewest points in the league. Sure, the Chargers might not have been playing the cream of the crop over this span, but the team is playing at a very high level, and it would take an incredibly pessimistic fan not to acknowledge that.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

As I said "we have yet to see a solid win over a winning team!!!"
    Winning because the opponent missed a field goal is NOT a solid win in my book!!! They weren't blocked either.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Excellent post BSBB! Thank you.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Perhaps you should define for us what you consider solid since you dont appear to be happy with anything Boomman...

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So then respond to the 14th post in this thread. If you ae not opining, perhaps you would care to discuss?

Or continue to shadow B4L, which ever you prefer.:lol:

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I am happy but not quite yet convinced.

I think everybody knows what a solid win is.
    Ponies was an ugly win (though I'll take that over a good looking loss.)
    If Titans made the field goal, there would have been no over time.
    Both attempts were in the red zone and were not blocked.
    That very rarely happens!!

How about a win (against a winning team) that was not a result of a lucky break? That is a solid win!!!