1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What is not acceptable?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LightEmUp, Sep 28, 2010.

1. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I'd just like to hear from the homers what they think is not acceptable from a team that was super bowl ready in 2006. A team that "builds through the draft" and "stacks them 3 deep to compete". A team that has lead its division for 5 years in a row. A team with a tested QB and the best GM in football who has had 5 years to bring the missing pieces to get us to a SB appearance.

Since we all know what is acceptable -
    Slow starts
    Pissing away veterans
    Just making the playoffs
    Constant injuries followed by unmotivated players.
    Talent walking

I'd just like to know what it is that will finally make you upset if it happens?
    Not making the playoffs?
    Not owning the division?

What is not acceptable from this 2010 Chargers team?

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    your posting? :icon_shrug: BTW I have you on ignore so I don't even know (nor care) what you posted

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Dead troll walking...

Pointy

4. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Congrats. and I'm sure you know I dont care. and your not on ignore... I just dont care. grow up

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    It seems to be that the only thing that is not acceptable is "Mediocrity". Thats all well and good if you want to be an above 50%-win team conisitently or maybe "The winningst team in football the last 3 years" or any other bullsh*t title we wanna pin our ideals too...but if we dont get to the superbowl after being dominent for so long...what is it all for?

Hell some teams get to a superbowl and then never make it back...weve been in the top 5 teams for years and not cracked it! Fustrating to asy the least

• Like Like x 1
  6. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Um... **** you?

7. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Couldnt agree more man.

There is a reason "fans" of this team are content with whatever success comes their way. Odd with our history of always playing second fiddle.

Did you ever think Tampa Bay and New Orleans would get a Super Bowl victory before us? How about Eli Manning?

Did you ever think Drew Brees would lead any team to a super bowl victory?

Seams so many teams can get it done without a guru GM. hmmmmmm

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    *sigh* I understand the 'no ring **** season' mentality. But winning is contagious, confidence is crucial. That is why being the 4th team in wins since 2004 is important. If you followed Chargers teams of the past you would know that those teams did not have confidence that they could win. Heck the fans had no confidence. Football is at least 25% mental on the part of the players. Jim Steeg recently reminded me in e-mail that these players are young people. They get up, they get down.

Winning instills confidence. Why did fans feel we had a chance to win the 2 games this season when the offense had the ball for the last drive. Because they did it before. This team expects to win, knows they can win, and wont give up in the face of adversity.

That is why the bullsh*t of how many games won over what period of time is important. It builds a culture of winning.

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Maybe because a good GM means stuff all when it comes to performing on the field

10. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    hmmmmm - can you explain the success of the 95 Chargers then. Since you giving history lessons.

Did that team need AJ to stack em 3 deep and build through the draft? Thats right... we made the playoffs from 90-95 with an allstar talented team. *rolls eyes*

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Does your jukebox play any other records? All A.J. Smith can do is assemble the best team he can within the current system in place, and within the constraints of what his bosses set forth for him. Once they get on the field, he doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of control over who misses tackles, drops balls, kicks penalty flags, headbutts people, fumbles an intercepted ball, whatever. ALL I ask of my team is that they have a plan and compete for the championship as often as possible. Once you get to the playoffs, you need to be playing well AND have things go your way. So A.J. didn't bend over for Vincent Jackson and his agents, or keep L.T. beyond when the team thought he was still worth the contract he thought he deserved. Get the f*ck over it. A.J. Smith isn't going anywhere, and I guarantee that if he did, he would be out of a job for about five minutes.

The dudes on the field now are our players, for better or worse. You can sit here and bitch week after week, or just buy in and go along for the ride and hope to get some enjoyment out of the season. I guarantee you that Dean Spanos and A.J. Smith don't give a flying f*ck what you think, your opinions don't factor into any of their decisions.

12. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I can understand that theory...sure, but maintaining a winning mentality is difficult and it is usually maintained by the veteran players...and know any player thats been in the league more than 2 years is usually called a veteran...but for me a veteran player is one who has been a consistent performer in the league for 5-6+ years...how many players are like that on the Chargers out of interest? Its not many is it?

We all know AJ likes to build through the draft...he also doesn't like Free Agency much. He prefers to have a younger skewed team which means less mature players.

If you look at the past 10 superbowl teams I'm sure you'll see alot of mature, senior veterans with a sprinkling of youth through out. Do the Chargers look like that kind of team on paper? I havn't looked at this theory closely, so I dont know the answer yet. lol

13. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You say that as if your on your Iphone 4G texting Dean at this moment.

LOL.

Some of you need to get over yourselves and quit trying to sensor the content on this site. It really speaks to the agenda.

Buy in? - Now I'm not a Charger fan. LOL

Does your jukebox play anything else?

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    IMO he didn't even do that...he left two great players out on their asses.

...and before you answer back...the reason he left them out is irrelevant

15. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Am I wrong? Do you think for even a millisecond that they are holed up at Chargers Park reading this forum and discussing what LightEmUp thinks about what they are doing? Get real.

What am I trying to censor? I am just saying that your non-stop whining is tiresome.

Your words not mine. Nowhere did I say you aren't a Charger fan.

16. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    It is? So the GM of the team should just sit around and do whatever is necessary to placate all of the players on the team? Daniel Snyder and Al Davis have written a lot of big checks over the past 10 years, where has that gotten them?

17. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Not a fair comparison IMO. Snyder just bought in whichever big name was out there at the time without considering how that player fitted into the team...Al Davis only considers how fast a player is!! THATS why they have failed.

VJ and MM are proven commodites that grew-up on this team...thats worth throwing money at them...dont you thnk?

18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I don't work in the front office, I don't know what reservations they have about throwing money at those two guys. But they both had to have a pretty good idea based on past dealings with other players that their approach would not work.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So you do not feel that the 3+ million dollar tender that these veterans were offered was fair, even though it was a pay increas over what they made last season?

I dont feel you are being fair here as you appear to want to place all accountability on AJ to get the players in, and none on the players. We will ahve to agree to disagree on this one I am afraid...

20. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes and no. MM yes and VJ no. VJ can not keep himself off the juice while driving.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Anything less than a Lombardi is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Anything LESS IS DAWGSHITT

22. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This situation is so crazy. Vj is the better athlete but MM has a clean nose.

I think what scratch said is huge "VJ and MM are proven commodites that grew-up on this team...thats worth throwing money at them...dont you thnk?"

Both drafted by AJ, both homegrown, and both proven.

Heres a 1 year rental contract.

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I admit that my feelings for AJ may slightly weight my arguement one way...To answer your question...Yes I personally believe that $3m a year is a pretty good offer...I do also believe that VJ and MM deserved (VJ to a lesser extent of course) a long contract extension. They are loyal players, that wanted to be here by saying they wanted long-term contracts.

Its easy to look at it from the position of they just want more money...but I have heard no-one here look at the point of view that these two players actually wanted to commit there long-term futures at this club! AJ should have happy as hell they didn't want to chase a payday somewhere else...instead he as alienated them.

Don't be surprised if MM actually leaves via a trade a the end of the day.

24. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Totally different positions that can not be compared. It is like putting a batter at plate. One with two strikes or one with no strikes. It is all a part of the NFL that has to be considered with the whole personal conduct policy.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I contend that as shown with Gates, they stood a much better chance at getting their long term contract in camp. The Titans star left tackle is holding out as well. Teams are not throwing contracts at players right now. CBA and work stoppage are two of the biggest reasons why. I also point out we dont know what type of locker room guys these players are.

I think MM deserves a long term contract no doubt. I believe Floyd does as well. VJ I dont care about. Sorry. But I realize the NFL is a business. MM came back with the understanding that he MIGHT get a long term deal. I am not sure with his off the field problems that VJ ever would have.

26. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    At the end of the day you might be right about VJ.

MM is WELL-KNOWN as a great locker room guy. PR has said many times that he is a hardcase (funny) in the locker room.

There are plenty of players that DID get long-term contracts also Conc

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    FAILURE is not acceptable.

So OP is pretty much screwed.

28. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This type of hit and run is the status quo here. Pretty weak.

My OP is totally legit, pro Chargers and yet guys that have never debated with me here post crap like that instead of argue a point.

29. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Conc,

The problem with your camp argument is that deals would have already been worked out if it was that easy. Did Aj tell VJ and MM to report to camp and a deal would get done or did he say "here is 3.2, it's more than you made last year, take it or I'll reduce it even further and put a deadline on it"?

These guys wanted contracts. They wanted long term money. They wanted what they deserved (through negotiations). Aj gave them what he wanted and nothing more. There were no negotiations.

And 56 did report to camp. He busted his *** in camp. "NO DEAL".

30. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    V.J. comes with DUI baggage, and McNeill has the stenosis issue. My theory has always been that the club wanted to take another year with both players, and during that year a decision would be made with both of them. Signing their tender and showing up would obviously be a "positive" in the player's favor. I think if VJ would have showed up, played well, stayed out of trouble, at some point during the season contract discussions would have begun. Of course that's just my opinion based on nothing other than what I have observed from A.J. Smith previously. VJ and his representatives obviously didn't like the thought of having to prove it for another season, they wanted to cash in now. McNeill, I think they might have been trying to get him on the cheap for another year, and maybe they didn't plan to sign him long term. Now he's in, so maybe I'll be wrong about that one and he will get a deal.