1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What is Parker’s Impact?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers wide receiver Eric Parker underwent toe surgery on Friday and could miss up to 10 weeks. Parker was set to return as the number one receiver, though he was being pushed by the younger receivers such as Jackson, Davis and Floyd. This brings up two main questions in my mind.

Fist; who does this help?

Second; What does this mean for Parker?

First a bit of history on the receiver who became one of the most sure handed receivers of the team. Parker initially signed withHouston as undrafted rookie, in 2002. He was then waived before the season began. He then signed with San Diego Chargers, before the 2002 season. The Chargers the waived him in September of 2002 and then signed to practice squad.

Typically that is where he would have remained, but he was signed to active roster, Sept. 26, 2002. His rollercoaster ’02 ride did not end there as he was yet again waived on Oct. 12, 2002 to be resigned three days later by the Chargers. He then began working his way up the roster until in 2005 he had taken the role of primary receiver over veteran Keenan McCardell.

Back to the first question: who does this help?

Simply put there are about four people this helps. Floyd and Jackson are the primary recipients of the ‘break’. They were in direct competition with each other for a starting position. Neither had to look over their shoulders for the Turk, but they each wanted to star, and each made a strong case for that in the second half of the ’06 season.

But there are others that this helps as well. Camarillo, and Naanee also get a ‘break’ from Parker’s toe. Camarillo has been holding on with the Chargers for the last few seasons. He has earned praises from the coaches for being sure handed, running precise routes and having a great work ethic. That said he has always had the knock of not being overly ‘fast’.

Naanee is an enigma, he may dodge the Turk simply because he has been talked about in about five positions. He is fast, strong, and has shown great work ethics in camp. But will he really be a receiver? He will probably be the San Diego Slash. A player who is capable of playing several different positions as Kordell Stewart was used in Pittsburgh. But Parker’s toe makes it easier for the Chargers to keep Naanee on the active roster as depth and Special Teams.

So Parker’s absence gives the young talents the ability to get more playing time in camp and in the preseason games, thus demonstrating through their abilities why they should remain Chargers.

But what does this mean for Parker?

Parker could find himself on the Physically Unable to Perform list. This is a rule in the NFL which allows teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP" and thus keep them eligible for the active roster but not count against the roster count. Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

Parker’s injury occurred in the team’s minicamp in June so he is still eligible for the PUP list. He caught 48 passes for 659 yards and no touchdowns last season. He has 152 receptions during the past three seasons. If the team does not feel he is healing properly they can also chose to at a later time place Parker on the IR list.

IR, Injured Reserve is a special NFL reserve list for teams to use if a player is injured and unable to play for a period of time. It is used so that that player does not take up a roster spot. When an NFL player is placed on injured reserve, he can not play for the remainder of the season.

So Parker’s toe has opened the door just a little bit wider for the young players. They must now step through and show the coaches that they have the skills the Chargers need. Be in the receiving corps, as a special team gunner, or as a returner. The opportunity is now theirs, and in the next four weeks we will see who has risen to the challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    do we go out and try to get a veteran wr in F/A for the short term

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I have a couple of questions that may clarify EP's impact:

How many times did Parker get in the endzone last year?

How many career TDs does he have?

-----------------------------------------------------

Now my answers to your questions (in reverse order):
    1. What it means for Parker is that he'd better heal up quick or he'll be out of a job.

2. I think it helps Craig Davis the most. He appears to have the quickness and hands that are most similar to EP. But he also has size that will enable him to power his way into the endzone.

:bolt:

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    This could be the death nail for EP, he has overcome some great odds to be where he is at but this one may be bigger than he. The young guys, Floyd, and Davis may just be the catalyst this team needs to elevate to the next step. Brining home the Lombardi, thats what it's all about.

I hate to see him go out like this, but somehow I feel he's done. :bolt:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure that th TD total is a good measure ment for Parker, especailly given that we have a little known running back who broke the TD record last season.

Give me soemthing beter. How many drives did EP keep alive. That to me is MUCH more important the the glory shots of TDs.

If Parker is not a Charger he will not be out of a job long. He will land with another team. I just hope he diesnt land in New England should that occur.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    A few thoughts.

Does anyone know how this is enforced? Do teams cheat, emm, work around this prohibition?

IMO it benefits Floyd, barring injury he’ll move into the starting line up opposite VJ with Davis in the slot.

The other receivers benefit of course but the 54th player also benefits, whom that is we’ll never know.

The one that is hurt is Parker. Toe injuries are tough to overcome and If the WR corps are doing well will the coaching staff mess with the chemistry?

7. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Camirillo benefits from this but I think that the most benefit goes to the guys that get his reps with the first squad. Whos that, Floyd and Davis? Everyone moves forward but these guys will get the chance to show how they can step up. I don't really believe that Floyd and Jackson were in direct competition so the impact on VJ is minimal...

This might also help sproles keep a spot if he can keep the handle on his punt returns...

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I always liked Caldwell but he never panned out, like Osgood will never be a great Bolt receiver. Parker has contributed to this team and has laid it on the line, but I just don't think this is good for his career as a Bolt.:bolt:

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    For those celebrating the death of Parker, think again. Even if all of our top 3 receivers perform at a high level, Parker is still at least the 4th best receiver on our roster. He's also under contract for a couple more years. Parker is a selfless guy, a model teammate and a leader. There'd be absolutely no point in getting rid of him.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    There have been fines levied against a few teams lately, but it also involes the shuffling od people on and off the PUP list to the Practice Squad to try and hide 9 players on the PS.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Agreed. The only time that becomes an option is if the young players step up to a point that the Coaches feel losing Parker wouldnt have that big of an impact.

I dont see we are there yet.

12. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    How many key 3rd down first option catches has he made since he has been here...?

When a team has a RB that breaks the all time single season TD record, I would expect that the WR would have less on average then other teams WR's. Also, we have a goto TE in the redzone.

EP's presence will be missed...IMO this is not a good thing at all...For the past three days, I have seen posters almost dismiss this injury. To me, it's a big deal.

TBF

13. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    he was a guy that picked up some big 3rd downs but i dont think this is really much of a impact

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Schaweet sigi Boltmanbz!

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers first-round wideout Craig Davis is likely to start while Eric Parker recovers from toe surgery.

Davis himself is recovering from a knee injury, but is only day-to-day. Parker could be out as far as Week 6, so the rookie Bolt has quite an opportunity. With a strong start, the sure-handed Davis may not relinquish the role. He is well worth a late-round selection in all leagues.

Link

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rookie receiver impresses at FanFest

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- Craig Davis picked a pretty good time to display his wealth of athletic skills.

One day after the Chargers learned starting receiver Eric Parker will be sidelined up to 10 weeks following toe surgery, Davis was a showstopper at the Chargers' FanFest practice on Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium.

The first-round draft pick from LSU punctuated a fine day by making a highlight-reel leaping catch over two defenders for a touchdown on the final play of a two-minute drill session near the end of a two-hour-plus practice.

"I'm not trying to be the guy who comes in and just takes over," Davis said afterward. "I'm just trying to come in and help the team out best I can.

"We know Eric's going to be down and I'm just trying to do my best to get better."

With Parker and Vincent Jackson (lower leg injury) sidelined Saturday, Davis and Malcom Floyd were the first-team receivers. Davis showed no effects of the knee tendinitis that has slowed him in recent practices.

"He's had a couple nicks and he's missed a day or two, but when he's come back, he has responded and made big plays," coach Norv Turner said. "Regardless of Eric's situation, Craig has come in here and been impressive.

"We want to get Eric back as soon as we can, but Craig is going to be a factor on our football team."

On his leaping touchdown grab over safety Marlon McCree and linebacker Matt Wilhelm, Davis showed off an impressive vertical leap as he grabbed the pass from quarterback Philip Rivers. Davis says his best measured vertical leap is 38 inches and guessed that Saturday's leap easily topped that.

"That was a 42 right there," Davis said.

High praise

Link

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Jay Posner

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 5, 2007
    Surely there will be many days over the next 10 weeks when the Chargers miss Eric Parker, but yesterday offered a glimpse of what his replacement might be capable of doing.
    Craig Davis, the club's No. 1 draft choice out of LSU, could not have been more impressive in his first practice since the Chargers announced their leading wide receiver from last year would miss as many as six regular-season games following toe surgery.

Of course it was only practice, but it did take place at Qualcomm Stadium during the Chargers' annual FanFest, which drew a record crowd club officials estimated might have reached 20,000.
    “Craig Davis made a couple big plays,” coach Norv Turner said. “He's had a couple nicks and he's missed a day or two, but when he's come back he's responded and made big plays.

“Regardless of Eric's situation, Craig's come in here and been impressive from the start. We want to get Eric back as quick as we can, but Craig's going to be a factor on our football team.”

Davis made a 32-yard reception early in 11-on-11 scrimmage work, but he saved his best for the final play of a 2-minute drill. Philip Rivers threw the ball up for grabs in the end zone and Davis leaped to make the catch over several defenders.

Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell immediately called for a check of Davis' shoes. Defensive end Luis Castillo thought it was Antonio Gates making the catch.

Link

18. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    aj akbar muhammad jihad :bow: :bow: :bow:

19. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    =============

I don't mean to be nit picky, but this may be of some help.

knell |nel| poetic/literary noun the sound of a bell, esp. when rung solemnly for a death or funeral. • figurative used with reference to an announcement, event, or sound that is regarded as a solemn warning of the end of something : the decision will probably toll the knell for the facility.

20. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33

Except if Camarillo plays as well at WR. Camarillo can also play special teams, if I'm not mistaken, and EP doesn't. That will send him packing.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't think that EP is gone because of this, but he may have a tough time breaking back into the starting lineup if others step up & perform well. He's a clutch guy, but I believe we'll have someone else (Camarillo?) step into the tough guy, clutch role.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

Thanks for the tip, but I really wanted to use the word "NAIL" as in the final nail in his lid.:bolt:

23. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    It could help accelerate the progression of the WR corps by giving Davis lots of reps with the first team and other WRs reps with the second team.

EP was 2nd in line for the 07-08 season and would have recieved the majority of the time. Giving an unproven commodity (Davis) that time would have been risky proposition. Maybe it would have been a risk that paid off but that's not how NFL teams opperate. Fate has taken that risk for the Chargers.

24. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I think one day soon we will look back on Eric Parker in much the same way we did Charlie Jones.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I don't know. How many did he have?

I'm not saying the guy didn't bring value, because he was a nice little player. And he's a great teammate, excellent professional and all of that. I'm saying that there are enough WRs on this current roster who can duplicate or surpass EPs production when given the opportunity to replace him in his role.

Again, I like the dude overall. And I hope he makes it back soon. But if he doesn't it ain't gonna be that hard to replace him. But that's just my opinion.

The Chargers will be in the top 5 in scoring again this season and that's all that matters.

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't hvae a direct number but I know he had alot and frankly over the last two years if it was third down, the ball was often going straight to parker. If you watched the games or listened to hte radio, you had to agree with me on that.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I watched every game, Ant. I have no choice but to watch every game. I'm an addict.

Again, I didn't present an argument to the contrary. But when someone asks "how many?" and I don't know the answer... I have to throw the question back to them. I'm sure someone in here has every game recorded and can go back to retrieve such a meaningful start.

Really, I just want someone to work really, really hard on this so that the rest of us don't have to. I'm sure EP would appreciate it too. :lol:

(BTW - if "points scored" is the measure of a successful offense, then I don't believe Parker's absence will be felt)

28. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Well, as always, he would have to go through Miami first. By the time he got to NE, he would be way better just because, and he would be "the prototypical Belichick player."

29. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think this is almost kind of a mixed blessing. I sorta feel like we all know what we are going to get from EP. This is his sixth year in the league and would have been his fourth as a starter. He probably would have been good for another 600-700 yards and a couple touchdowns. By getting him out of the way on the depth chart these other high-potential guys are going to have a chance to develop and show us what they have. I'm sure we'll miss EP on at least a couple third downs this year. But in terms of allowing us to evaluate the other talent we have at the WR position this might work out well. The more playing time our younger guys get the more experience they'll accumulate and the more data we'll have with which to judge them. I love EP and I hope he gets well soon. But I think we've seen his ceiling and we may be better off throwing some of our young talent into the fire.

30. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm not a Parker hater, but I feel like Malcolm Floyd will help us get over the loss of EP, if it were to happen.