1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What is VJ looking at ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhilipRivers#1, Oct 1, 2007.

1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
  2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Cheerleaders? Why did he come back to the huddle smiling after the drop? I'm really tired of him....

3. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

I think he is using his sixth sense. :no: what a *** whipe

4. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    That was a perfect pass, unbelievable!!! :tdown:

5. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    You'd think he would be looking at the ball. :icon_evil:

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    SOB
    He's killing Rivers numbers too.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    He's busy admiring the lack of discipline plaguing every aspect of our play right now.

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Great pic.

What bothers me is the guy really didn't look that upset he dropped it. Oh well, just another drop trying to catch a pass with my body. An enviable trait in a WR is that they can actually catch.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Obviously he's looking right at the "You Can't Run" guys over in the corner sections. Duh.

This picture makes me want to puke. 2 perfectly catchable TD passes completely muffed going into the same endzone in 2 home games. Maybe VJ is allergic to the grass on that side of the field or sumthin?

10. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I could've caught that! maybe...

11. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I hate to make excuses for the guy because that was just a drop, but it did get to him just has he ran out of the sunlight and into the shade of the stadium. It went from intensely bright to sudden shade right when the ball got to him. That's why I thought he was smiling...like a "what the hell else can go wrong" type deal.

You will more often than not see pictures that show any WR not looking directly at the ball at that point. Their instincts say the catch as been made so they are looking down field. Their hands have to make the play at that point. The hands know exactly where the ball is without looking. This hands didn't make the play. Possibly the ball might have been in a slightly different spot than he expected because of the transition from sun to shade.

He did make a couple of other big catches. He did get open deep here. Davis did get open deep. It's almost like a team that needs to shake the rust off when there is no reason for them to look rusty at this point.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Sure as fuk wasn't the damn ball..

Don't WR coaches teach kids to catch with their GOD DAMN HANDS!!! NOT YOUR FUKING BODY!!!

WR coaching 101.... :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  13. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    He did try to catch that ball with his hands. It was coming over his shoulder. Almost impossible to even attempt to catch with your body. What happened was the ball was in a slightly different spot than he thought. It ended up being between his hands and his body so he tried to trap it in to make the catch anyway.

Watch the replay. You will see the sunlight to shadow effect I'm talking about. No way his eyes adjusted to that change as the ball came in. He had to take a stab at it where he thought the ball would be and it turned out to be inside of that. That's about as bad luck as you can get, but on par for us since the NE game last year.

That said it is a drop, plain and simple. I'm just trying to explain a possible factor that it appears everyone else missed.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Maybe he's looking at the phucking push cart that almost killed him last year in that one preseason game. All I know is he isn't looking at the most important thing. THE FOOTBALL. Man, that was a SURE TD VJ. PHUCKING CATCH THE DAMN FOOTBALL!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I think he is enjoying the view from last place.

16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Rivers is doing a good job all by himself.

17. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    LMAO :icon_rofl:

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    We need your boy back parker88fan. We need him NOW!

19. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Can't buy that. Look at the people in the stands. The sun is coming from the end-zone where he was running to. He should have been looking back at where the ball was coming from. Thus the sun should have been a non issue. As for the ball coming over his shoulder, I don't have the luxury to look at it again but I thought his body was turn and the ball hit him right in the gut. Kind of hard to hit someone in the gut when the ball is coming over your shoulder.

Just my 2 cents!

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Reminds me of that picture of Tony Martin back in 1994 where he had his eyes closed trying to catch the ball.

21. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I have faith EP would have caught that bytch.

22. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    VJ's YAC = 1.3

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

23. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    VJ is looking at his Charger career going down the *******. :tdown:

24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I'm tired of him, I really am. He hasn't learned anything from his "forward fumble" last year. He seems unable to keep his head in the game, and does the stupidest things at the most inopportune times. False starts, and wide open drops aren't things that number 1 receivers should do. I say that, and he'll probably go to another team and become an all star.

Either the wideouts we get aren't very good, or the scheme that we run isn't wide receiver friendly, or the coaches aren't doing their job. I love James Lofton, but maybe he's part of the problem?

I say that Floyd should get a shot at the starting job.

25. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

I didn't say the sun was in his eyes. I'm saying the ball is going from intense sunlight to immediate shade right when it gets to him for him to make the catch. The sun doesn't have to be in your eyes for the contrast to be an issue. Check out a major league baseball game when the shadow line is between the pitcher and home plate and tel me the batter doesn't have a tougher time. Your eyes have to adjust from Bright sun to no sun in a split second. That's exactly what happened to VJ on this play. I saw it coming and said oh **** before the ball even made it to him. It was just a bad break for the ball to come right at that time at that place.

He made a one other great catch that got the offense going, but fans are fickle. Hell there are few things to be happy about with the Chargers and VJ dropping a TD pass sure doesn't help. There were a lot of guys that played worse.

26. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I wish you were wrong.

27. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Been saying that for a while, but he's a Buffalo boy so he's probably locked into the AJ puppet show for as long as AJ is here.

Our WRs don't play up to their physical ability and they are developing super slow. That screams coaching.

Wes Chandler is coaching the Browns WRs now and seems to be doing well. Too bad we didn't pick him up. It's sad I'm envious of the raiders and browns coaching staffs compared to ours. Actually there aren't too many in the league I wouldn't swap straight across right now if it were possible.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

You're right, he's wrong. Hit him in stride and in his hands, should have been a TD. VJ fawked up like many times before.:bolt:

29. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

Why do you say he's right when he says it hit him in the gut? You say it hit him in the hands. You aren't saying the same thing as him.

I say it went between his hands and his body. He was trying to catch it with his hands. Then when he realized where the ball was it was too late. He adjusted to try to pull it into his body and get his hands on it, but it slipped through.

No doubt it should have been a TD. He should have caught it. I'm just saying it wasn't as easy as it looked because of the sun/shadow effect.

30. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I've never been on the Lofton bandwagon. His position is one of the few that we haven't seen a quality player develop. Some guys have gotten better, but nothing above average by NFL standards.