1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What made you a Chargers fan?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Scout200, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    What made you a Chargers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Is scout a real person?

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Born and raised in San Diego. Followed on a very superficial level as a kid, then around 1975 (I remember that draft) I started paying a little more attention. When Coryell arrived it was cemented.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    [​IMG]

;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'm from the northeast. I have no idea who the nearest fan was when I was growing up. Probably Jammer up in Montreal. Actually, there was another kid in my town who liked the Chargers too. For the same reason I did:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    In short LT and a NFL educated Chiefs fan who made me aware of this bane of KCs existence 2 times a year, made me HAVE to watch as much Football as possible. (which didnt include College EUFL/AFL/CFL originally) I have always not liked the Chiefs because everyone in Mid Mo appears to be a KC fan with damn red and yellow attire. Which isnt a surprise as I realize now shopping in thrift stores KC stuff is 3.00 for a Tshirt. Still lookin for that SD native thriftstore shopper that can net me like 5 Charger Ts for $10 would be nice.

Wont quit and wont change my team since 2004. Still debating how I would get a Charger bolt Tat. Logo or something with lightning and spheres.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well, I grew up in SD but never really got into pro ball more than the occasional monday night game at a family friends house until the off season between the 2000 and 2001 season when some friends of mine from the Navy asked if I wanted to get season tickets. I had just come back from deployment and had money in the bank, so I thought that it was worth $490 to get out of the house every Sunday.

After a season of football and awesome tailgating, I was hooked, even as bad as the Chargers were. So although I haven't been a monster fan for all that long, I got hooked when they were a terrible team, and have never (and will never) turned back

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When speedy Duncan came to my school when I was in the second grade. Hooked,line and sinker from that day on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Since i was about 7....1979?
    To answer the question... I'm pretty sure it was a game against the Raiders that did it for me.
    Good vs. Bad
    Lightning vs. Dark

BTW this thread has been done b4....just' sayin...

12. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I seem to fall in between everyone. I grew up in a Niners household, but grew up in SoCal. Watching Junior Seau destroy people made me love this team and I haven't looked back since.

• Like Like x 1
  13. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Ralph Macchio wearing his Chargers jersey in The Karate Kid while snogging the face off some bird. After that I wanted to be like Ralph. 25 years later I have The Chargers jersey, but I cant do Karate and still havent pulled a bird of note.

14. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Growing up in a "Fouts era" houshold as a kid.

15. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Born in Maryland (which is why I root for the Ravens if they outlast the Bolts) but my family relocated to Texas when I was 3. Before I really even knew what football was I was going to TCU games screaming myself hoarse for some guy in a number 5 jersey. Thanks to my uncle, who was a classmate and friend of LT's, I got tomeet him and he autographed a jersey. Really nice guy.

Then, when I was 9 he was drafted by some team out in California. I didn't know who they were, but I knew I was a fan.
    The first professional football game that I ever watched, be it on TV or in real life, was on September 23, 2001 when the San Diego Chargers came to Dallas and beat the Cowboys. It was great.

Over time, I grew to love the Bolts for the whole organization, not just for LT. It saddened me when he left, but I still loved the Bolts, and I resolved to root for LT wherever he ended up just like I do with Brees.

Then he joined the Jets.

I really hope he retires a Charger.

Anyways, that's my story.

16. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    since i was 7 in 2000, madden 2000 got me to be a fan

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Seriously - Stan the Man & local guy Bobby Ross (I live in VA). That & I like the bolt as a DeadHead. :)

18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yep, that about sums it up for me too.....I've been around Chargers football since '69 when my parents bought their first set of season tickets, but really got into it in the mid-'70s and of course been a rabid fan since then.

You and I must really be old, SL. LOL

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Born and raised in San Diego and Junior Seau

20. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Sam reason.

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I'm going to my 30th high school reunion next week, so kinda.

22. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I grew up in a Chargers fan family, but nobody ever pressed me into being a football fan. My stupid adhd made it so I couldn't even learn an instrument and barely able to learn riding a bike without taking Ritalin, so paying attention to what was going in professional sports was nearly impossible. That ritalin stuff really did work. I didn't even know the Chargers played in the Super Bowl or what that was until I was 12...

...which is when I was living in San Diego again, watching Stan Humphries give his retirement speech. The emotion he showed, the pure sadness he had regarding leaving the game he loved for his health locked me in as a Chargers fan. I asked my parents about him and they told me how he dedicated himself to the team through injury after injury. I remember when we drafted Ryan Leaf, hoping he would show the same love and dedication.

I really wish I had been able to focus and pay attention to the Chargers during Stan's career, he was my inspiration for becoming a fan.

23. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I went to my first game in 1970, a season ticket holder since 1980

24. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm going to mine in 3 weeks.

25. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Was 9 years old in 1981. Liked football, but not too much of a fan of any one team except maybe the mid 70's Steelers. My best friend took me to a Charger game. That was it. Getting to see Fouts and Winslow and Chandler and Muncie all live. Sold. Charger fan for life.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I was 2

27. Scout200

Scout200 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Awesome history! That's great!

28. Shabba

Shabba BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I'm from Manchester, England and in around '94 a kids soccer team came over touring. The San Diego Surf linked up with my soccer team and some of the players housed the kids for a couple of weeks. I was one of the kids who housed a guy. I made the return trip the following year, staying with the same family who's son stayed with us, I stayed in Rancho Santa Fe. The family introduced me to all things San Diego - Chargers, Padres, Mexican food and hot girls on the beaches!

I always looked out for the Chargers when we had games on over here but it was mainly on one channel (channel 4) and only SNF or MNF. I loosely followed the NFL through a magazine show which had no set time. As coverage in the UK improved improved my love affair with American Football and the Chargers really began.

Im 30 next August and the plan is to come over mid - late September, send the family straight to SD, I go to Vegas for a few days meeting up with the guys i know over there (still in touch with some guys off the soccer team from '94!!) then head to meet the family for a couple of weeks in the US's most beautiful city and take my daughter to see my beloved Chargers!

29. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    You sure that's not 31 year reunion for having to repeat the 12th grade? :D

30. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    220,221......whatever it takes.