1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a Championship Franchise?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I keep wondering what it is that makes a 49'ers (Montana/Young era), a Patriots (Belicheat era) or a Steelers (70' and 2000s') franchises so successful. Is it just the players?

I remember speaking with a retired football player who played for the Chargers and Browns. This was on a flight so he was kind of trapped next to me. He said that the Browns were the better organization, when you join the Browns (per his experience, wish I could remember his name) you were family. They did reunions, and paid the players way to come out. He said with the Chargers they did reunions as well ever now and again, but it was up to the players to pay for it.

Now clearly pampering players past and present does not make a team a championship team. You need players. One could argue that it is the QB who creates the franchise, thus the term 'Franchise QB' but I think Manning, (Peyton, not Eli or their Paa) shows that they might get you there but you need a supporting cast.

Is it the Coaches, the GMs, luck?

I wish I could put my finger on it, so I would like to ask you all what you think the most important things are to building a Championship Franchise?

Thanks

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Well for one thing, the ones you mentioned weren't only championship level teams. They were probably the best teams in history. You don't follow the outliers for success, you follow the avg like Giants, Bucs, Saints etc. You win a championship by continuing to built on talent and cutting losess. I know it's difficult to see, but we actually have the step up on possibly winning a championship precisely because we have Rivers and Great QB's make you title hopes alot more realistic. I think we are in good hands with Tom Telesco, imo he looks to build the best possible Charger team.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    The big 4 IMO...

1. Competent GM - College scouting and cap management.
    2. Strong HC - Mainly from the talent development and leadership perspective.
    3. Franchise QB - Self explanatory.
    4. Innovative play callers - Doesn't matter how much talent you have on the field, if the men calling the plays don't understand the talent they have on the field. A big issue with Norv Turner IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    William Barron Hilton I.

5. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Whatever the Browns are doing I'd recommend the exact opposite.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Well, since you asked:

1. Lightning Storm Offense
    2. Thunderhammer Defense

p.s., this is all Top Secret stuff,
    so don't bother Googling it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    What Mati said.

8. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Wow, I guess football really does cause head trauma :(.

9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    In terms of team ownership, I like that they've given John Spanos a greater role since he became Executive Vice President of Football Operations in 2013. He's the first and only Spanos family member with any real foundation in the sport. He's young, smart, very well trained, and seems to know football inside and out. If winning a Lombardi has anything to do with the culture of the FO and coaching staff, I trust him to build and maintain it.

10. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    The best model I can use is Vince Lombardi. Strong on both side of the line, solid running, and a good QB. Control the line of scrimmage and run the ball!

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It starts with ownership and as they say "All is fair in love and war and pro football" It's only cheating if you get caught should be the rule rather than the exception.

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Successful organizations start from the top and work their way down to the bottom.

1. Owner
    2. GM+Front Office
    3. Coaches+Players

Now, if your fan base is split or very negative about the owner and his intentions with the team, then you won't have a successful, Super Bowl winning organization like the ones you mentioned.

13. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Meh. Lot of chicken and egg here. The Raiders were a first class championship organization until they weren't.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    So..

Patriots (2001-Present) with Kraft and Belicheck, 49ers (80's-90's) with the Yorks and Walsh, Steelers (70's) with the Rooney's and Noll, Cowboys (90's) with Jones and Johnson/Switzer?

15. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    You realize Jerry Jones is still the Cowboys owner right?

Everyone will say there is a great owner after the team wins. Then people will hate on Jerry Jones and talk about how you need a great owner to win a championship. Seems kind of absurd no?

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Yes? I was just combining the years Ownership/Front Office/Head Coaches were together and won Super Bowls.

We're talking Championship Dynasties and Franchises here. Ownership, Front Office and the Head Coaching staff have to all be on the same page. I don't think there is one Dynasty or Franchise who've won 1 or more Super Bowls and haven't had a great Owner, Front Office or Head Coach. Just doesn't happen. A successful organization is all 3 of those departments being in sync.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  17. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I guess I just don't understand how these folks who win championships can go from being great owners, GM's or head coaches to being ****** ones like they sometimes do. The way you're presenting it makes it seem like there is some inherent, immutable quality to the whole thing. But maybe this stuff is much more volatile than I realize and at one point it was agreed before they ever won a championship that Al Davis and Brian Billick were the masters of their sport and then got a lot worse. Who knows.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    An offensive line that is NOT ranked 29th out of 32 teams.

Rivers is a ghod for producing the way he did behind that wall of Swiss cheese.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Winning championships.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Squabbling about which way is best is fruitless when more than one way works.

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm kind of shocked that you would share such a worthless anecdote. Some random ex-player thinks the Browns are a better organization? The Browns? The last time the Browns won a title my grandparents were in middle school.

As someone said, winning championships makes a championship franchise. There is not any one philosophy or approach that works. And it's not static. The "best approach" changes all the time. What worked for Bill Walsh or Joe Gibbs in the 80's might not work today. The question is never "what worked last year?" It's "what will work next year?"

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Billick won because he had one of the best personnel men in modern NFL history stacking his defense with playmakers.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Frankly I am not surprised that you would be shocked at my sharing the anecdote. But then again I just don't care if you think it is worthless or not.

Sure you can be glib and say 'wining a championship' yada yada yada. But I think everyone understands that it takes more to put W's in the final column than what happens on Sundays. If you fail to understand that, well I will be slightly surprised but not overly so.

23. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Because when they win there great as soon as they stop winning their s**t it really is that simple

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd say it's starts with the ownership of the team buying into and letting those who know the game run the show without hindrance. Gene Klink traded away the foundation of a top notch defense and his best chance at winning a Super Bowl. Alex Spanos didn't have a clue of how to run a football team, Deano is learning, although, coming along very slowly into the fold and hopefully the young Spanos clan can bring this club to a world championship.