1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What Percentage.......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Jan 24, 2008.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Will LT be used next year? With the emergence of Rivers and Jackson, signing Chambers & drafting Davis not to mention Gates & Nanee coming on. Just how much can LT be a part of plays directly?:icon_huh: This is going to be an interesting year coming up. I still believe he can be a bigger part of the game then in past with longer runs and fewer touches. The possibilities are endless.:icon_banana: Thank heavens Rivers showed the guts and leadership he did to end the year, makes teams think twice when they play us next year.:icon_toast:

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Get ready to see LT turn into Marshal Faulk 2.0 in the next 2-3 years. Which I think is a good thing, it worked out for the rams

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I really think LT wouldn't mind getting less touches. He has most of the individual records he needs. HE JUST WANTS SOME RINGS! He wouldn't mind being Faulk 2.0. Hey, what the Faulk right? We're going to be flat out DEADLY on offense next year with Parker returning. LT Chambers, VJ, Parker, Davis, Naanee, Gates. OH MY! :yes: (Lions, Tigers and Bears, Oh My!)

4. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

Tell me about it.

(Sorry ...couldn't resist):icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah but after those 2-3 years,,....he will be about done if they use him like Faulk got used.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I have used all my powers of the internets and I have come to the conclusion that LT will be used approximately 37.5634% of the time on offense.

You're all welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I dont care if we only use him in the last eigth games of the season if it get us a ring

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    LT will still be used quite often in Norv's offense, even with Joiner teaching the precise running routes that are required as part of the Coryell-Zampese-Gibbs-Turner offensive schemes.

Let's look at when Dallas won their Super Bowls in 1992 and 1993, with Norv as the OC.

In 1992, Emmitt Smith had 373 carries, for 1713 yards, and 18 rushing TD. Throw in 59 receptions for 373 yards and a TD.

In 1993, Emmitt Smith had a contract holdout that caused him to miss several games so he got only 283 carries, 1486 yards, and 9 rushing TD. However, his receptions were steady at 57 catches for 414 yards and a TD.

That's pretty much what LT has been getting now, so I don't think LT will suddenly become invisible or "the lost running back" over the next few seasons.

Expect LT to get his standard 370+ touches and 1800+ combined yards.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree. Our other weapons will open things up more for LT to get sprung for the big hitters. I would like to see him used more in space - screens, swing passes, pitches, sweeps. Anything to get him one-on-one with a defensive player.

Norv won't overlook LT any more than he did Emmitt.

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    :icon_eek: I came up with 37.5635%!!!

I guess great minds think almost alike...

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That should not matter.

LT will still run out of bounds to avoid "the hit" :lol:

So long as I get a Lombardi and if it burns LT out in one season or two seasons - DO IT. :yes:

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    in order to not start a useless thread, this falls inline with this thread. Can any of you stat guru's find out on average how much LT touched the ball last year as opposed to this year? LT had a lot of short dump offs last year and don't really remember seeing too many this year, Norv definitely like to go vertical and not horizontal.

Heck how many times did they run LT up the gut this year?:icon_rofl:

13. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Finding the actual percentage is tough...we have to find every play from scrimmage and find how many were attempts to LT. We have to take dropped passes into consideration.

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    In 2006:

Chargers ran 988 non-kicking offensive plays during the regular season.

466 of those were passing attempts.
    522 of those were rushing attempts

Of the 466 passing attempts, 287 were completed. Of the 287 completions, LT got 56 of them. Assuming that the percentage of attempts to LT very closely matches the percentage completed to LT, thats 19.5% of all passes went to LT.

Of the 522 rushing attempts, LT had 348 of them. That's exactly two-thirds.

In 2007:

Chargers ran 955 non-kicking offensive plays.

470 of those were passing attempts.
    485 of those were rushing attempts.

Of those 470 passing attempts, 282 were completed. Of those completions, 60 were to LT. Assuming once again attempt and completion percentage very closely match, that's 21.2% that passes went to LT.

Of the 485 rushing attempts, LT had 315 of them. That's 64.9%.

Thus,

in 2006, 19.5% of the passing went to LT
    in 2007, 21.2% of the passing went to LT

in 2006, 66.7% of the rushing went to LT
    in 2007, 64.9% of the rushing went to LT

Pretty much the same, percentage-wise.

15. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The first play of every game.

16. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ....I would love to see this offense more closely resemble the Coryell/Zampese years. They could run or throw..the backs both could catch. I don't think LT is built to just pound the ball on the ground, over nad over. They should still maintain a very strong presence on the ground but open up the passing game more.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    and so it begins .....

Welcome to offseason. :unsure:

18. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Check your knives and guns at the security points.

This is gonna be ugly.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :lol: It always is. We all have our ways to win the big one. It starts off outrageous, then gets a bit more reasonable, then disintegrates into a nearly complete meltdown. Like we have any effing control.

It's confirmed, AJ is God and his piss cures cancer.

Next year we're golden. :tup: