1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What positions do we need to upgrade

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MtlBoltsFan, Sep 25, 2007.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Hanestly everyone thinks there is a load of talent on this team everywhere and yet I see gaping holes. Now I don't like Olivea and yet AJ locked this guy up for six years. I think Goff needs to get the hell out of here because he is playing like **** and always has. Anyone who has praised his play is out of their minds. He is a penalty machine and a wildly inconsistent blocker. So do we move Olivea to RG where he wouldn't be as vulnerable in pass protection and see what happens with Clary or do we leave him at right tackle and bring in a RG. The guards hold the line together. I am sick of Goff whiffing on assignments and Olivea looks like **** because of Goff. I think that if we solidified the RG spot Olivea would perform better at RT not being worried about a defender busting right throug the RG-RT gap which Goff has failed to help protect so often. An upgrade at RG is what I'm looking at as a HIGH priority for this team.

Then we have AJ's "gems" in Cooper Wilhelm and Dobbins at ILB when the reality is that none of them are good players. If we want to keep one of them to start and one as a backup that will be ok but we need to play that individual alongside a very good ILB. When we play two of these guys at the same time they get exposed. Neither has much on the power/speed scale and neither has the balls to blow up offensive linemen. Waters may step up next year but we need a great ILB regardless. Upgrade at ILB is a high priority.

Again do you notice what's going on here so far? Guards hold the offensive line together and the ILBs hold the front seven together. We are vulnerable in the worst possible places to be vulnerable... right in the gut of the offense and defense.

Finally we have two guys AJ and Nix have said are interchangeable #1 receivers which is bullshit in my opinion. Vincent Jackson and Craig Davis are not #1 receivers in todays NFL and I don't see either of them filling that role. They are #2 receivers. So AJ will continue to neglect WR and we will never have a true pass catching threat that can get open at will and eff up defenses. Finding a #1 receiver is a priority.

Finally safety is still a high priority. Weddle can man one spot but we still don't have a gazelle who can defend up top in coverage. McCree sucks in coverage and Hart has the natural skills to be successful but is extremely inconsistent. We need a tall lanky coverage safety with a 40 inch verticle and 4.4 speed. I don't care if he has good hands or not or if he can tackle, as long as he can stay step for step and challenge for the ball in the air.

Of course we could also upgrade a certain DE spot as well :yes:

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Congratulations on finding yet another reason to announce how you know so much more than AJ.

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    I didn't read it that way.

What he said was truth. We are weak at the positions he pointed out. Our ILBs playing badly and I almost would bring back the Ankle Biter because he can cover better then anything we have at ILB and the middle of the field pass coverage has been fertile ground for opposing QBs.

Our WRs are scaring no one and Goff has sucked the past few games getting blown up on the line. When LT is making cuts in the backfield to avoid a DL, then there is a problem.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Olivea at guard will not work. You know the guy is for **** with his feet in space to pass protect and he is too damn slow on the pulling plays. Olivea thinks too slowly and is always beat by the speed rush and inside jukes. That dude is HISTORY. Clary is a work in progress but no where ready to lockdown the RT spot. That dude scares me right now and I hold my breathe watching his play. We need another long armed gorilla to lockdown the right side and a guard who can block, scrape and kill LB or CB before the next play. The fat boys have to run close to 5.0 40's or get them the fuc off my field. Our Center can get traded as well. Hardwick is just too small and not powerful enough not to watch his **** get pushed in by the nose tackles around the league. Keep McNeill and Dielman and clean house.

WR's. We need a burner who scares the **** out of defenses and we do not have this player. We need someone to take mo-fo's deep to open up the running lanes underneath or the box will stay stacked. Fuc'ing coaches need to think VERTICAL and that has not even been flashed this year.

ILB's = ****. Dobbins, Wilhelm (I would keep Cooper).

Safeties - Leave them alone. Their play goes up exponentially when the brothers up front do their jobs.

Corners - Cro is a borderline bust. Flo still gets toasted and Jammer still can tackle and cover barely because anything outside football and the dude is starving to death. Move Flo to I am going to trade your *** list (of course he just walks) and get us another lockdown corner.

D-Line - Goodbye Igor and hello the next fatboy plus another fat boy for the line. I love the fat boys and the more the merrier. You and I can play DB with BEEF kicking serious *** up front. Remember you can bling your *** out all you want but if you do not have the trenches - forget it.

Coaching - fuc em all and if we are .500 or worse at the BYE, then fuc em all to death. :icon_evil:

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I was kind of going to say the same thing, but I didn't want some smart *** to quote me and use that ******* smiley.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not pull any punches and AJ got us in this fuc-king mess :icon_evil: :icon_eek:

I am not happy when my hard earned moolah is circling down the toilet. He promised LT's career would not be wasted in San Diego and now what? LT just about cried on stage in his epic...sniff...sniff....sniff... "I have no clue" interview. :icon_evil:

I would call Jim Brown in and have him show some videos of him beating up his wives to get these guys fired up or better yet some Mike Vick HollyWood Videos of "The Best of Fido Body Slamming" matches starring Lassie and PacMan....anything to light a fire.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    So, he's no longer GAWD and the "Prophet" ?

[​IMG]

Get him on the phone and tell him off:

[​IMG]

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Trumpie, in all hanesty, this team is easily the most-talented in the division. If we had a coaching staff that is better-suited to get the most out of young players, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. reads EVERYTHING he can get his hands on.

EVERYTHING.

My boy is in the hot seat right now where Rivers was last week.

If **** does not get straightened out by the BYE - Rome burning and Mt. Vesuvius/John Holmes eruptions will pale in comparison. The Big Bang Theory will get to be witnessed LIVE and in forum technicolor with all the BLOOD and GORE you have all grown accustomed to over the seasons. :yes:

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    AJ usually has all has i's dotted and t's crossed so I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Norv (who I was ambivalent on as a hire). Fuc. I still have faith AJ will get his pimp cane out and whack some PP's to get the troops goose stepping to the same cadence and if not, god save the queen because the biitches panties are mine.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

:tup:

My boy also needs to get his shiat straightened out as well. :yes:

3 fackups versus Green Bay cost the team 3 points (his PF headhit kept the Packers drive alive for a FG) and possibly another TD as well. I ain't defending his azz against those obvious crappers.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    LSD is bad.

T does not endorse the use of Window pane, purple microdot, blotter, schrooms or anything else out there in that genre. Weed is different. Get you some of that mind expanding pain killing stuff in the Indica lines and rock and roll. :nana_rasta:

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We need to upgrade the posters here. Some are like the French Army. They believe 'attack to the rear' is different from 'retreat'.

14. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    The players just aren't that different than last year.
    It's sad to read all the GM's in here talk about how, all of the sudden all these players are crap, and gotta go. Forbid LT can't get going this year...the GM's in here will have him strung up and gone before you know it.
    There's a thread that was started last week, that might be worth bringing up as the season goes on. (having to do with the previous coaching staff)
    This team just doesn't have it, last year this group could run on 8 in the box...this year, so far, they can't even get out of their own way, and since the offensive personal hasn't really changed, there's only one group to point to...the coaches.
    The D has what three real changes, the two ILB's and a safety...well so far the problem with this D really has more to do with the pass than anything. Yes the ILB's are getting torched on the short crossing patterns, yes the DB's are screwing up, however, realize, when in the nickel package (and we're in it allot) there are two new starters back there, Hart and Weddle. SO there is going to be a period of adjustment. Yes the passrush seems to have dropped off, yet the five guys that do most of the pushing/rushing are still the same.
    However, knowing how this all works, I think the staff still has a couple more weeks to get this working.
    I realize there's only about two of us that think that way, but I've been a fan of this game (not just the Chargers) long enough to know that many times, these things take a few weeks under game conditions to get working.
    So for now, any changes made will just compound the problems. If the season were to somehow become lost, then it's time to change the coaching staff...we've still got to many starters from last year's team to start blowing this team apart. I just don't see it as the players, it's the coaches. In fact if last year's head coach is here, we are 2-1 and this thread isn't even here.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Both safeties suck ****.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Especially Trumpies boi.

If it wasn't for Hart's honey visiting Trumpies tailgater, he would admit such.

If Brees' wife had visited the tailgater he would have been up in Brees' colon rather than throwing him under the bus...:yes:

17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bingo. :yes:

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

How much *** kissing can one person do in a day? :icon_shrug:

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Dude, you're talking about leisure. He has lip-locking sweet cheeks dreams.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The crux of the biscuit. 14-2 was not some mirage last year. This coaching staff is not working these guys right. We could use another rt tackle, we could use a replacement for Goff, but they were there last year and the line was ranked as one of the best. I wasn't one of Donnie Edwards critics, but I didn't see him as a dominant player, either, but he apparently made some kind of positive contribution. We have linebackers with sufficient talent now, but they suffer from the same problems as everyone else. I have been a Dobbins fan from what I saw last year, so his problem is covered above. The DB's aren't tackling especially well, but that appears to be a lost art. I haven't been to practises lately, but if someone will confirm that no one is performing classic one on one tackling drills anymore, or working with tackling dumbies, three guesses what the cure is and the first two don't count. It is also time to revive the Oklahoma drill. It is also time to exploit the talents of this team properly. Rivers was on a roll Sunday, the game was in his hands and we emptied them. There is nothing wrong with most of the talent on this team, but there is little evidence of the innovations on either offense or defense that we were led to expect. The players are being held by the reins instead of being given their heads to just go out and play. I have been able to guess fairly well what's coming on either side of the ball, and nobody just watching the game on TV should be able to do that with any consistency.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    For sure

1. Cornerback - I'm really losing faith not only in Jammer but Cromartie
    2. Safety - Weddle gets a pass

Unsure
    1. RT - Clary had a solid game, let's see what happens
    2. RG - Could be solved if Clary performs up to snuff
    3. Backup NT - Haven't been able to tell
    4. WR - They are signs of improvement

22. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Jammer played a good game vs. the Packers.

Hart and McCree suck ***.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah yeah yeah. I guess you missed Rod Bernsteins cousin take a sucker shot at one of our tailgaters (Jim) after we told him they sucked.

Same old excuses. Just because anyone attends you and other savants think they get immunity. :icon_rofl: