1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What?!?... Ryan Mathews not in shape?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Way to miss the point. Probably on purpose no? I know why you supported Rivers. He is not the issue.

The question is, why did you support him tooth and nail when he was not demonstrating what you felt he could, but you refuse to do the same for Ryan? Is that clearer for you?

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    For all those defending Mathews; its ridiculous, there is NO reason he should be out of shape.

Essentially what he is saying is his 'cardio' is good, but he didn't work on 'speed drills'. SO he basically stepped on the treadmill and ran a few miles at a slow pace, last time I checked football was played in sprints. If he isn't smart enough to figure out how to train then he should have bucked and and PAYED a professional to train him. There is NO excuse for his actions. Sure, he may be in perfectly fine shape for week 1, but I think this shows you lack of maturity and/or brains/work ethic and that isn't a good sign. Perhaps he can't stay healthy because he doesn't prepare right? Either way I hope he's feeling the pressure and he can deliver results.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Unlike most of you, I knew nothing of Ryan's career during his college year. On the other side of that coin, I followed River's complete college career at NC State here in Raleigh. What I did know of Ryan was written on this very site, and what stuck out is, he was injury prone and was going to quit football at one point. If me giving this guy a hard time is wrong then so be it, for what he's getting paid there is no excuse for not coming to work ready.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Please allow me to disagree with your position 909.

5. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Why, of course.

All I can say is he hasn't impressed me whatsoever. I was bitter about trading up for him and he's not helping the cause whatsoever. How is it that he's the ONLY one not suiting up because he's "sore"? Mouton is out there laying HAT and not taking any time off..

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
    He is as ready to work as many pros when THEY START CAMP. Many pros have to come up to 'game condition'. That is normal. Look at the pictures, he is not in bad conditioning. For those who want to take it to the next level and question his intelligence, maturity or what have you, I just have to shake my head... More predictions they hope will come true, rather than hoping for the player be the best...

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    I ******* quit.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Ok, he hasnt impressed you. He is the only one not suiting up? Please go educate yourself on that. Tell me what Gates, English, Weddle and Sanders are doing right now just to name a few...

Its the start of camp for pittys sakes. Seriously, its not week 4. He may continue to not impress you, but do you hope for that, or hope he will turn it around?

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    LOL WUT

So you hated Ryan before he even signed his contract because AJ traded up to get him?

I totally get people being mad he is having trouble, but this isn't just people being disappointed. This is the same vitriol we see whenever anyone doesn't live up to the unrealistic expectations of fans. It's pretty ridiculous.

Same people who wanted to cut VJ a few years ago. Where are those people now?

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Show me where I said he should be in game shape, he's not even in practice shape and that's my point. You mention English and Gates and both those guys had major issues with injury last season. Wed's and sanders along with VJ can't participate do to NFL rules, big difference Conc, those guys are ready to go Ryan isn't. What's so hard to understand about that?

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Correct me if I am wrong, isnt high ankle sprains that were considered for surgery a 'major issue'? Seems to me you are ignoring the facts to pad your case. Thats beneath you Hex...

12. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Really? You had to of known I was referring to the others that have already suited. Sanders, Weddle, Laboy, Spikes etc aren't suiting up because they CAN'T. Gates and English are on the PUP, they aren't SORE.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    I have never heard of surgery for and ankle sprain. I had surgery for dislocation and detached ligaments not straind or sprained. Then again I am not a professional athlete either, and I don't see surgery as necessary for a high ankle sprain. I do know it hurts like hell but does heal with time and rest.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Gates and English are not sore? Gates even said he still had pain in his feet but would go at opening day. Again, its training camp, not the regular season. Arent you jumping the gun a bit by questioning everything from his intelligence to his morals?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Last season they were talking arthroscopic surgery on his ankle. Yes it takes time and rest. I would suggest that time and rest are probably the leading factors to Ryan being winded.

I also feel that it speaks to his desire to be ready to go when it counts that he is on the field 15-20 minutes after everyone else is in, getting extra running time.

But maybe I am just delusional.

16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,533

17. MetalZelda32

MetalZelda32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Haters gonna hate.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Larry had surgery and Gates has plantar fasciitis its expected for them to take some time off an heal up properly. there has been ZERO reports of Mathews ankle being jacked up again, the only things that have been reported is his conditioning and being "sore"..If reports were that he aggravated his ankle then I may have a different stance.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Sorry seems to me you are now making excuses to back your stance and statement. You seem to be assuming that they are not being cautious with Mathews the same way they are with the other two. Ryan is not on the PUP because he is working, he is improving his endurance, so why would they put him on PUP?

Please let me reiterate my question to you;

Do you hope he will continue to 'unimpress' you

or

Do you hope that he will be productive this season?

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    He had plenty of time for both. He could have just showed up ready to practice like the rest of them. No biggy in the end if he tears it up during the season. I'm sure his mama will be in his ear about this also, it's his job.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
  22. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Of course I want him to have a productive season, but honestly man I REALLY don't think the ankle sprain is still an issue. I surely could be wrong but that would be one HELL of a high ankle sprain if 7+ months later its hurting him enough to have to take time off. He said he golfed everyday, if he was nursing an injured ankle he sure as hell should not have been on the course daily.

He even said it himself that he didn't train properly (in regard to the speed drills). Its part of maturing, but all I can say is I didn't expect him to not have his legs (which he also admitted to not having right now) after this nice long break.

I have NEVER thought negatively of Ryan's work ethic until I read this stuff...Perhaps they are over blowing it a bit, but until they SAY its his ankle I can only assume he simply was not prepared. Will be be prepared for week 1? Probably, but there are guys that train their asses off during the off season so THIS type of spot light doesn't hit them...it seems that wasn't a concern of his. AGAIN I could be wrong, but this is how I see it from what I have read.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,249
  24. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    The bottom line is he is a NFL running back getting paid millions of dollars, he should have stayed in top shape, i didnt hear about our rookies and other returning vets struggling, if the Kid does not have the heart to want to practice it means he doesnt have the heart to win a championship, i say if he doesnt do anything this season we need to trade him, If ryan doesnt want to be committed then im not committed to him

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    we'll all see what happens come this Thursday when all the players get to participate, Ryanna should be all rested up by then.

26. MetalZelda32

MetalZelda32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    You know what I figured out while reading this? Animal crackers dipped in Ramen noodles are actually pretty tasty. Oh, we're still having this argument about Mathews? Okay, he had 158 carries in 12 games for 678 yards, averaging 4.3 YPC with 7 touchdowns. Do those stats look bad to you? No, he didn't have a spectacular start to his career, but there's no reason for all the hate going towards him. Maybe he's not in shape right now, but isn't that what this month is for? And, by the looks of it, he's working his *** off. I'll listen to the talk when I see him chilling on the sidelines eating a couple Big Macs, not running and getting in shape.

• Like Like x 3
  27. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    This.

An ankle sprain to a running back is a bit bigger of a deal than you all are making it out to be. I'm done arguing with you guys now. Later.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Good post, welcome to the forum!

• Like Like x 1
  29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    To atone, Mathews has been doing extra running after practices and said he will continue to do so as long as necessary.
    “It’s making sure I’m accountable for what I didn’t get done in the offseason,” Mathews said. “It’s my legs. If you want the ball 20-25 times a game, it’s about having the legs.”

I reckon Mathews himself knows he didn't get done what is expected of him. This just shouldn't be an issue and the ankle sprain was almost a year ago now, it's a non factor in today.

30. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,641
    It really is shameful on his part for not coming in in better condition, but IMO that's what camp is for, to get everyone up to game speed.

I'm honestly not surprised, as a young guy, that he didn't work hard enough. Let's hope this doesn't become a trend.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.