1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What?!?... Ryan Mathews not in shape?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I am not saying don't criticize the guy. I am saying that the concern over a conditioning test, the same test that Jammer fails every single years, is unwarranted, especially when he retook the test and passed the same day.

Feel free to criticize his inability to hold onto the ball or to stay healthy, help your self.

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Did anyone else fail? I didn't read that ANYONE else failed the test... THAT'S the point, the kid shouldn't feel that his job is wrapped up and in the bag, he should have a chip on his shoulder and should have showed up to camp with something to prove... and clearly, he didnt. THAT'S what is troubling, not whether or not he will be in football shape by week 1.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    No idea. i would have to guess that Jammer also failed since he said himself that he has never passed the test. But the fact that he passed the test later the same day, tells me that he wasn't out of shape in any way(At least I heard he passed it later the same day).

from my understanding, the conditioning test is a set of 60 yard sprints that must be completed in a certain amount of time. he completed it, but not quite quick enough. Then the 2nd time, he passed. You don't instantly get in shape the same day and go from fat and out of shape to in shape and able to pass the test.

Why he failed the 1st time, who cares? He passed it the 2nd time on the same day.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Don't be thick, I'm not saying that because he hasen't been around his opinion may not be the right one.

I just find it curious that the guy who was so hardcore against us drafting RM last year dissapears for a full year, and then blitzes the board with posts as soon as he failed his conditioning test......which by the way LOTS of players do even in normal offseasons.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    I am not being thick I am being funny... Lightening the mood, Mr. Cranky Pants.

And that brings me to another point, please cease and desist all cranky activities. That is my job and it is protected per the by laws of the Crumudeon Union, Local 951... :roflmao:

I get why your were asking, I understand, I dont get why some people latch on to a player and others dont. I mean hell I am the only pro Castillo fan I know of right now... :unsure:

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    In english please? Be sure to make it complete sentances using the correct gramatical tenses...

Not that I would recognize that, but back off the BoltTalk.

7. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Well you are half right, I was hardcore against trading the house for an injury prone RB, if he was there at 28 my thoughts would have been different.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    Sorry... I really have to question this mentality. The fact that I haven’t had coffee yet today, and got about 2 hours of sleep makes me cranky, so please take this response in that light that I may be a d!ck, but do not mean to be...:sleep:

What f'in difference does it make what it took to get a player or where we got him?! We got him, that is all that matters. He is a Charger, that is all that matters. He will be on the field for us when he can, I choose to support him, just as I do anyone who wears the bolts once TC starts. What you choose to do is up to you, but to say your opinion would have been different if he were drafted elsewhere smacks of insincerity to me.:cry:

The whys and what’s of where we got him or how many picks it cost is water under the bridge. If you are giving him a colonoscopy because of that you are 1000% WRONG! :mad:

Where the team took him is not his fault! It speaks to how highly the team thought of him, and speaks to indications that they had reason to believe the trigger had to be pulled then and there.
    Jammer was reported to have said in an interview that players fail these tests all the time. That is a fact. I think there are two options. He is either lying to protect Ryan, at the risk of his credibility, or he knows what the hell he is talking about. Which is it to you? :cautious:

Now... Is that big enough balls for you? :roflmao:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I doubt anyone here really hates the guy, it's just that one would believe a running back would be able to do the most fundamental aspect of his job. I'm more worried that this will actually rob him of time learning the playbook, catching and knowing where to be on pass routes and especially picking up the blitz. None of those was he stellar in last season and weren't brought up, I'd like to know where he is on that instead how out of shape he is.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    Did you like Muncie?

I can tell you that players do not run from practice or walk throughs straight to the class room. They see the trainers, shower, run up to the corner starbucks or micky Ds... HE IS MISSING ZERO CLASS TIME!

In fact being on the sideline give him more time to get coaching on where he wants to go at what time in what play. He was also injured last season, if you want to judge him on that, have at it. Doesnt mean a damn thing.

Further, who said he was out of shape? Turner said he was 'SORE'. He did not pass his first speed test, yet passed it the second day, does that translate to 'out of shape' to you? Marty Caswell clarified that the team was taking a cautious approach with Mathew because he was very IMPORTANT to the team and they did not want to rush him when there was no need. Not that the team was worried he couldnt carry the load.

LT never played in the preseason, how much did that hold him back, he was not in every down of practice reps, in fact the camps I was personally at, he was not in on more than I would say 25% of them... So what is Ryan doing that is soo detrimental to the team in that light?

Moutains out of molehills anyone?

Hell all yall are 'worried' in the second week of training camp, jump the gun much?

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I liked Muncie and have said that Ryanna's running style reminds me of him, I just wish he'd not tun straight up like he does, Muncie did the same thing and fumbled a lot.

12. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Where we took him isn't his fault you are right, that was AJ's fault, but showing up outta shape and not partcipating in Rivers' off season workouts IS his fault. -- Not sure why you brouhght that up, but there's your answer.

Now, my point was we would have had a 2nd, and Dobbins (BIG time ST help) last year if we hadn't of traded up to 12 to get him. AJ did what he always does (a la Hester) and traded what he HAD to get HIS guy. He clearly didn't know what he had in Tolbert when he traded the house for 24.. I think last year proved that. This team needs OLmen that move people and a knock out D, this could have been done through the draft. Rb's are now a commodity in the NFL, Rivers run's that offense and will continue to do so for years to come, we could have grabbed a RB in the 3rd to pair up with Tolbert and been just fine. AJ fails to realize that the running game starts and ends with the O line, he refuses to draft a OLmen anytime before the 3rd and that's something our RBs will have to deal with.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    So you liked a RB that played only 51 games of his 80 with the Chargers, who was often on drugs? Dont get me wrong, his body of wirk is good, but perhaps you need to step back and gain some perspective on RM.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    Again, where did ANYONE, other than fanboys here say he was out of shape? Quite a few players did not show up to Rivers' trainings, where is the venom for them?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    My last thought on this dead horse topic...

All you who are bashing RM yet professing your support of him, might want to remember actions speak louder than words.

You are taking what little information you have and putting it in the worst light and embelishing it to paint him in a bad light. That is not support, and a tiger cant hide it's stripes.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183

All you who are bashing RM yet professing your support of him, might want to remember actions speak louder than words.

You are taking what little information you have and putting it in the worst light and embelishing it to paint him in a bad light. That is not support, and a tiget cant hide it's stripes.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Conc, that was a completely different era, hell the whole team probably know the guy was twisted up, including the coaches. Today's game is much different, the players are paid for year round conditioning and don't need to seek off-season employment to make ends meet.

18. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189
    I just heard a soundbite on 1090AM, Hacksaw says that SD fans are calling RM a bust because of his current condition.. Hacksaw said is not giving up on RM, and neither am I!:alien:!

19. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Anywho hopefully a little scrutiny will put some led in his pencil and he will get it done. The heat is on.

inb4 Maticakes throws out the scenario where RM actually lives up to his pre draft hype and he throws it in my face... I WANT the kid to succeed and will be happy to see him do so, just skeptical at this point.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183

You are taking what little information you have and putting it in the worst light and embelishing it to paint him in a bad light. That is not support, and a tiger cant hide it's stripes.

21. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I think you are being a little too "brady bunch eske" with this support stuff. I am pulling for the kid but I honestly thought he was a hard working good character kid so all this camp stuff has been a bit of a surprise. Sometimes tough love is what these guys need..

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Interesting, asking why he wasn't in shape is bashing the guy?? I never said he was a lazy piece of shite just collecting his paycheck. I have said nothing about this guy that even comes close to what y'all used to sling at River's and until I do, "get off of my cloud"

23. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Exactly, people are just getting so damn defensive its insane. Like I said, you would have thought someone was ragging on their handicapped kid the way they are firing back in his defense..

24. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +492
    Mathews showed up to some of this spring’s Philip Rivers-organized workouts, including the week in June that players considered to be like a minicamp. But he had to pull out of what many Chargers described as fairly easy conditioning drills on the first day of camp.

To atone, Mathews has been doing extra running after practices and said he will continue to do so as long as necessary.

“It’s making sure I’m accountable for what I didn’t get done in the offseason,” Mathews said. “It’s my legs. If you want the ball 20-25 times a game, it’s about having the legs.”
    This is just a small section of the original posted by Blue for this thread.
    So RM did go to some of the organized workouts. The rest he spent working
    out by himself. Running on the beach will work your calves into tree trunks,
    which it appears he has done. That is great for stamina, not getting leg-tired
    in the 4th quarter...but it does little for speed work...like, running a 60 yd. dash
    on the 1st day of camp.

The thing that gets me "defensive" isn't RM's current condition, of Fatass Warren Sapp's critical anaylsis, no.... it's the condition
    of my fellow fans, who want to strap a very young player to a pole and flog him
    for the way he goes about his business of making millions.

When Humphries was drinking beer every day for the complete offseason, people
    wheren't saying shite about it...except for how cool it was. Now we get the...those were different times excuses.

Okay I'm really done with this non-topic so I'm shelving it and diagnosing as
    extreme cases of PLFD (Post-Lockout-Football-Deprivation). The cure is only
    weeks away. Until then, I imagine those with this heinous disease will continue
    to show signs of aggression and general butthurtedness.

Good luck to all Chargers this season...I think this will be very interesting year.
    Go Bolts!

• Like Like x 1
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    I'm not gonna say I'm not dissapointed in him, but I'm not nearly as concerned as some people around here. In fact this could be one of those embarrassing moments in his career that changes his mentality for the better.

26. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Exxxxxxxxxxxactly.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,604
    Not exactly...I have no patience for armchair tough guys who bash a player for resting after doing what amounts to double conditioning. Sure its his fault he has to do it, but lets not be cavemen about this, the days of "no pain no gain" are long gone thanks to the combination of common sense and proven science.

28. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    You what you little coksucker, eat schitt. I was actually agreeing with you and I am tired of you're bullschit. I've got your armchair tough guy right here kiddy cat.

29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,398
  30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If we had drafted Cody & he flunked a conditioning test, matilack would have been right here to throw it in my face, you can bet your ***.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.