1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What should the Chargers realistic goal be?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 3, 2014.

?

Set a realistic goal for the 2014 Chargers

1. Super Bowl or bust

25.0%
  2. AFC Championship Game Appearance

35.7%
  3. Win 1 playoff game

17.9%
  4. Make the playoffs

21.4%
  5. I just like to tailgate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Eric Weddle and Dwight Freeney think we could win it all (they're supposed to say things like that), personally Id be happy with another playoff win, and ecstatic to get an AFC Championship appearance only 2 years after a complete organizational overhaul, when some people were trying to pave the way for Philip Rivers out of town. I consider 2013 a major success despite losing a handful of cupcake games and how truly ungraceful our playoff push was, because it turned the page on the AJ/Norv era and pushed it out of our mind.

What is the threshold for success this year? If we won the division but lost our first playoff game, would you be disappointed? Or just happy we beat the Broncos for the division?
    Do we need to make it to the Super Bowl?
    Do we just need to win another playoff game?

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    I don't think the current staff is under any pressure this year. So yeah there are higher expectations this year but the end goal is the same for every season. AFC only has two teams that imo are either slightly ahead or at eye level with the Chargers and that's the Patriots and Broncos. One of those two will knock each other out and we just have to hold fast and beat the remaining team and claim AFC supremacy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Like the old coach once said, one play at a time, one game at a time...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The realistic goal for every competitive team should be to make the POs. A new season starts at that stage and thereafter the goal to be a SB berth and ultimately winning it all. Of course always best to win one's Divi to earn a PO berth. I'm not a huge believer in having a home field advantage throughout for a team like Chargers. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to attend a festive atmosphere at the Q, but a team like the Chargers can be quite a scrappy team when they play away as an underdog with a chip on their shoulders ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    This team still is not very deep at a lot of positions. Injuries is the intangible factor. Other teams losing... (as it was last year)... is another. All considered we are not a huge threat at winning a Super Bowl. The Seahawks would crush us much like they did the Donks.

6. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The best which we can hope for is for the O to fire on all cylinders right from the outset and then for the D to bond and to gel together by the Bye week ;) Not to say that I expect the D to play loosey goosey before the Bye, but as we have some new faces on that D, I expect them to tighten up, barring any significant injuries, sometime in Nov.

As for the S-Hawks, their first three games are against prolific Os so it will be a great gauge for their D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Actually, unless we win the division, we will more than likely have to beat out both the Pats and the Broncos to get through the AFC.

• Like Like x 1
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I really don't think the Chargers can be content with anything other than a SB championship this season. They are good enough to be in the conversation. All it takes is getting hot at the right time and having a few bounces go their way.

9. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Philip Rivers is about to embark on the greatest streak of NFL history.
    Four Super Bowl Championships in a row and MVP in all four of them.
    Greatest quarterback of all time?...will not ever be a question for the remainder of my lifetime.
    It will just be a statement.
    I will die peacefully.

Reality is subjective.

• Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    With the exception of d-line and receiver, I think the depth is pretty good, certainly better than it's been for several years.

Seattle should certainly be the favorites at this point, but they are beatable, especially away from home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah it depends on who goes down. If Flowers, Butler, Floyd, Gates, or Mathews miss a few games we can survive with what we have. If Liuget, Dunlap, or Weddle goes down....yikes.

Our biggest weak spot among the starters right now is either Kendall Reyes, who continues to play like dog ****. Or the RG position because we just don't know what Troutman and/or Watt will bring to the table, but luckily we have our secret weapon, Joe D.

Also Attaochu is not quite ready to play at the moment, but not for the reasons we would think, he actually looked better as a run defender than a pass rusher in the pre-season. I guess it was all that talking to Jarrett Johnson we saw in camp. But if Ingram or Freeney goes down I think we have a solid backup.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    HELLO EVERYONE! It's been quite a long time since I've posted.

Realistically? I think this team can at least make it to the AFC Championship game given that the defense improves to at least league average, and this seems to be a popular opinion amongst many writers. I like our chances honestly, I feel like we're the only team in the AFC that has deciphered the code to beating Denver and are truly unafraid of Peyton. Denver is going to take a step back, I think their defense is going to quite possibly be worse, and Kansas City will likely crash back down to Earth.

The real questions to ask are: Can we stay healthy? Can the defense be competent? Can Rivers carry us the distance?

13. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    World Championship......at this point I won't accept anything else.......we've got the tools in place to make it happen as long as nobody gets hurt....
    I've been waiting 44 years for this......I don't think it's too much to ask really.

GO BOLTS!!!!!:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Considering I still don't think this team is ready to compete at a high level (though they're a big step from where they were last year), I'd consider a successful season if they made it to the playoffs and won another game. Big roadblock in their way in the form of Peyton Manning. Still, considering there's no real runaway heavyweights in the AFC (Denver/NE being the closest approximation) there's no reason the Chargers couldn't go deep with a few good breaks.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Bolt defense must come out of their corner blazing from the opening bell. They will have to be at the minimum equal to where they left of last season and hopefully start off a tinge better than that. The Bolts schedule will not afford time for this defense to "GEL" it's on from the git-go.

Takeaways, 3 & outs not to mention stops on third and whatever must be a part of this D. Having a top scoring defense will go a long way in the drive for a Lombardi and will pave the highway to the Super Bowl.

I'm just not sure the second line of defense is up for the task of taking up the slack from the D-line. The ILB's have shown no punch or trip you mama toughness necessary in the NFL. If teams can run up the gut on the Bolts it will make for some long and slow afternoons garnering losses if they can't fill the gaps.

It can be done. I have no magic feeling spawning false confidence as they have shown very little through training camp and exhibition games. We do know they have added some player's of promise along with regaining others who were injured last year. If all these new parts work together the sky truly is the limit. Super Bowl or Bust, there is no other prize.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So, winning a playoff game and playing the AFC champs tough in three games last season doesn't equate to playing at a "high level?" I'm pretty sure they achieved that last year.

17. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    I say a realistic expectation is for us to make the playoffs and win another game. I don't expect for us to really make it to the Superbowl. But next year after more improvements to the offensive line and defensive line and maybe adding another weapon for Philip to play with, then I'll expect a Superbowl appearance.

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,409
    I think you picked the wrong thread title.

The Chargers' goal should always and forever be a Super Bowl victory.

I think, perhaps, you're asking what our realistic expectations as fans should be for this year.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think they got some breaks and played above their talent level. I think they're better but they're not a dominant or a top flight team. Maybe high middle of the pack at this point. They were absolutely successful but they aren't ready to compete for a world title yet IMHO

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Damn, I'd love it if you were right.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Perhaps indeed.

I'm just wondering what people think this team is capable of, and I'm glad to see we've come a long way from the people who said 4-12 last year.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    For the players it should be Super Bowl or bust.
    For the fans, an AFC Championship game is realistic. 2 playoffs wins, and I hope one is against New England!

23. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    As a fan I would be happy if we reached the afc championship game. Obviously i want to see a superbowl but if we lost in afc championship game i would consider that a successful season

24. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Beat the Patriots in their stadium for the AFC Championship and have Nick Hardwick do the "lights out" dance in the middle of the field?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I think they're absolutely capable of making the play-offs. If they do, I think they can give other teams a run for their money. The Oline and Dline are my biggest concerns - health of Oline and production of Dline - will make or break us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Two playoff wins is a reasonable expectation. That's one better than last year. The goal is always to win the Super Bowl.

27. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I agree with this to an extent. Oline health and Dline production for sure. However I think what makes or breaks us this year is our production in the pass rush. We added Verrett, and Flowers, and with the Freeney and Ingram healthy, it could be something special. If we however can't generate a pass rush, look for it to be a long year for this defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    This is why I feel like Dline production is so critical, without it our pass rush will suffer. Everything starts in the trenches, we get pushed around on the line it makes it much more difficult to hassle the QB.

29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Home field, our place, and beat the Patsies again twice this season for the championship would be a better scenario...

30. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    We've got some very talented teams on our schedule, but I feel like we could play competitively with any of them.

I think we'll beat some teams that we're not expected to just like last season - if we can only avoid the embarrassing losses to inferior teams like the ones we suffered against the likes of Houston, Tennessee, Oakland & Washington last year, this could be a real special season!