1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What the **** happened to Dwyer?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 29, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Man, I haven't heard that kids name mentioned in forever! Weeks before the combine everybody (including myself at some points) was on his bandwagon and now he's barely getting a third round grade... Talk about a major turn of events. I'll be happy for him if he becomes a starter in the NFL, just not as a Charger please.. But it's gonna be really interesting come April 23 to see who takes him

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Why 'not as a Charger'?. Cos nobody is talking about him or cos he is just not that good?. Would he be worth one of our 3rd rounders?.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly what should have happened.

4. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Dwyer makes a glacier look fast. :icon_shrug:

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    :yes: I've been on the the Dwyer BashWagon for months. The reality is he has no lateral quickness, and he's never run the ball from a pro style offense, so unless we're planning to run the triple option with Rivers I don't see him being a fit.

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Because he isn't that good. And yes, he would be worth our late 3rd round pick, it's just we'll probably have a better RB by then

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Dwyers makes a really decent spumoni...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Disagree.

NOBODY makes *decent* Spumoni, because by its very nature, there's nothing *decent* about Spumoni. That stuff is just plain NASTY! :icon_evil:

You might as well be saying "That frat boy makes really decent vomit".

9. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Dwyer can't catch worth **** either.

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    That's just what we need, an ice cream snob...
    Anyway, the Mocha Almond Fudge is excellent. But Thrifty's brand is better...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

11. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    He can't catch, he's slow, he lined up as a FB in a funky *** O in College and I am stronger than him. I'd take him at 91 but NO earlier.

I was NEVER on his bandwagon.

12. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    If disliking vomit flavored things makes me a *snob*... so be it! :icon_banana:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I bet you don't like escargot either.

14. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
  15. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    He Sucks. :lol:

I love how fans build up these guys, and then tear them down, and build up someone new long before the draft even starts.

I admit it, I do it too.

Listen, Dwyer may be the guy, and he may not, but he's an interesting prospect.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Go to 10 different scouting sites & you'll get 10 different flavors of opinion on the guy, from sack-licking to tea-bagging. :lol:

Hell, the scouts can't even agree on each other, much less player evals. Although, I must say that I personally feel this one nails McShay.

Todd McShay backlash builds
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 12:56 PM ET

Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

"McShay does not have any good connections," the source opined. "Higher-ups in the league think he is an arrogant *******. A know-it-all. And he really knows nothing. Whatever he says about a quarterback, take it to the bank, it will be the opposite. Remember, last August he stated that Jevan Snead was better than Colt McCoy and would get drafted in the top five. He has yet to publicly retract that statement.

"One of the reasons the kid came out was because of what McShay said. The family thought McShay knew and everyone else was wrong. . . . He has problems with game management, accuracy and leadership among other things, but pretty boy Todd thought he was great because of one good game (the Cotton Bowl) a year ago. McShay is a pretty face who comes across like he knows what he is talking about. He does have good presence, but knows nothing."

A common name we've heard when it comes to McShay is Andre Woodson. McShay championed Woodson during the 2007 season. Woodson ended up being a sixth-round pick, and he's now out of the league.

The teams knew that Woodson wasn't as good as McShay was saying. The problem is that the player and his family don't have access to what the teams are thinking. The player and his family see and hear the stuff that gets played on television, and they tend to believe it when ESPN attaches to the talking head the phony, official-sounding title of "director of college scouting."

But not all draft experts fall into that category.

"The best guy in the amateur scouting/draftnik business in Mike Mayock," the source said. "Mike does more film work then any of those other guys put together. He is the only one who has access to the NFL dub center where all the college tapes go before they get distributed to the teams. He watches hours and hours of tape. You might not always agree with his evaluations but he works hard at it and you have to respect that."

The source ended with a prediction regarding Clausen's prospects.

"On draft day McShay will look like a fool because whether or not you like Clausen as a person he is very talented," the source said. "He has more training and game time in a pro system than any quarterback in the draft. His improvement from '08 to '09 was tremendous. If Notre Dame had a defense, Charlie Weis would still be there coaching. Offense was not the problem. I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented. He has a strong arm and is very accurate. Plus he has played a lot in a pro system."

In our view, McShay does present well on television, where the requirement isn't to know what you're talking about but to seem like you know what you're talking about. But we've heard from more than a few people who work as NFL scouts that McShay doesn't know what he's talking about. Right or wrong, those voices will only get louder in their criticism as McShay gets more air time -- and as he becomes more pointed with criticisms of players that NFL scouts regard as erroneous.

McShay lives to crap in Kiper's punch bowl. 'Nuf said. :lol:

17. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Mike Mayock is a good scout. I trust him

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Another guy who has plugged Jonathan Dwyer with a 3rd round grade.:yes:

19. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I normally do too, but he also has McCluster in his top 5 backs.

That's a head scratcher to me, as well.