1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

What was everyone's first computer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chargerpower, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    My first pc was a Packard Bell 386sx 16Mhz PC with 1MB of RAM and a 40 MB HDD!

Smokin!!! :pcsmash:

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    My first computer ws a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    I bought a Commodore 64 back in th early 80's. It's the best computer of all time and I still use mine. :thumbsup1

4. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    I think, if you want to truly consider it a computer, it was the Atari 600XL. All I remember about it was it had built in Basic and had about 16M or so of RAM. Sad stuff, but fun.

Now I have the Dell Inspiron 5100. What a difference 15+ years makes!

5. ChargersFan

ChargersFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    :lol2: Wow..what memories!!!

I got that beat by a about a year. I had the Atari 400. It had that flat membrane keyboard. I actually bought a replacement keyboard that was more like a typewriter style. The keys actually moved (for about a month until the springs broke).

Also had the trs-80 from Tandy (Radio Shack). I remember playing a game called Kingdom or something on that. I guess it was one of the first Role playing games.

Actually my first computer was a coleco pong game that hooked up to a t.v. to play. I took it apart to try and figure out how it worked. I then went to super pong (4 players and a variety of pong-type games).

Then of course came Atari 2600 (where I actually bought a game cartridge called "BASIC" and programed little things like making my name fill the screen in all different directions using if-then and goto commands) Then came the Atari 400 mentioned above.

After that I had the Commodore 64. I actually ran a BBS from that computer and a 1200 baud modem. Before we could get a floppy drive (paid $300 for an INDUS GT disk drive) for that one, we had to us an audio cassette tape to load programs. I remember that you had to be absolutely still or it would not load. We also found that if we put a humidifier in the room, we had better success. The game was called Shamus. I would also buy some compute magazine that had a bunch of programs written out in basic that you could type yourself and supposedly get a working game. However, they were so bloody long you inevitably made typos and could never find them, so I never got one of them working.

Things sure have changed. Imagine what our kids will be saying about Windows XP or OSX when they get older.

6. ChargersFan

ChargersFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Amiga

Oh yeah...almost forgot...sometime in there I had an Amiga too.

7. Raiderssuckass

Raiderssuckass BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Amiga

I had an Amiga 500! It was an awesome computer for it's time.

8. BengalFan

BengalFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Texas Instruments

I had a TI80, with a Tape loading drive. My dad used to make us program in Basic on Sat. mornings instead of watching Sat morning cartoons. Dude im scarred for life!!!

Now im an IT professional. DAYUM DAD!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Talk about being spoiled in some ways. Too much has improved including television programming and entertainment. They may never know what a vinal album, cassette or VHS tape is. They may very well fall asleep playing Sega Genesis or even the PS1.

10. BigJim

BigJim New Member

Ratings:
    +203
    Commodore 64 was a great computer. You know there is a Comodore 64 emulator for the PC that you can download.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Or an 8-track for that matter!!

My first computer was a Tandy 1000 HT. I was ahead of my time, cuz I bought an external B drive!!:lol:

And in the 70s, I bought Intellivision. I thot the "graphics" were mo betta than Atari!!:icon_mrgreen:

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    My second was a Texas Intruments TI99-4A

Third was a Comodore 64 (I was stoked with the comodore!!! Great machine for the time)