1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What was/is you favorite alternative football league...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EsDee_in_RI, Mar 19, 2008.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Another one bites the dust.....

I was always pretty fond of the XFL....hard hits! Arena Football is king now! What happened to the San Diego Riptide of AFL2?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    XFL was kind of sort of alright, but those numbnuts should have realized that their Xtreme style rules like allowing bump and run coverage all the way down the field would result in Xtreme single digit scoring. In the end though, every spinoff league is gonna suck. I think it would be awesome if the college and NFL seasons overlapped less.

3. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    I liked the college style overtime, and the weekly incentive salaries. Plus they brought the sky cam to the game which made it to the NFL. I got to see Vegas play, it was a pretty good time.

I agree with the overlapping...from August to Jan its like football overload...and then there is nothing else. Well theres baseball....

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    XFL was the only one i was around for, but it was cool and I did enjoy good chunks of it until it got just too gimmicky

Arena Football was fun, saw the LA Avengers when I was at UCI and it was kinda like a real live madden game :lol:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I was living in Sacramento @ the time and a few of my friends and I went and saw the SF Demon play.

XLF was fun while it lasted. As for arena ball, no matter how hard I try I just cannot get into it.

6. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    Arena football can get pretty decent...i would say going to a live game is more exciting than watching it on TV.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    The USFL was alright and produced many NFL players. XFL was ok, kinda lame with some of the stuff they did. Arena Football sux.

I dont mind alternative leagues and would watch this new one if it is ever a go ust to check it out.

Here in Vegas the XFL team drew the largest crowds in the league.

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The USFL, the league introduced many great players, too many to name and also farmed some excellent front office potential, A. J. Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  9. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    The USFL did have some great talent. I think it could have been an even more successful league if it didn't try and beat the NFL. They had a good thing going with spring games and then they tried to compete directly by moving to a fall schedule. That cost them.

10. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm an old AFL guy. The league had a flair that none of the other leagues that followed developed and was a hot house for innovations like sophisticated passing schemes on offense, putting massive defensive tackles to control the middle of the field. It had alot of influence on the modern game. The USFL, on the other hand, can only be credited with the run and shoot which is used in 3rd and long situations.

The other league that might be of interest to the historians out there is the All-America Football Conference which gave us the Cleveland Browns who dominated the NFL when the two leagues merged. Some regard Otto Graham, the Browns' quarterback, the greatest of all time.

If a new league ever starts, hopefully they'll bring in innovators, people with a different approach to the game, rather than clowns like Pepper Rogers. I think a guy like Martz can flourish in that context.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    CFL is cool. I was a huge "Baltimore Stallions" fan!!!

At the time I was living in Baltimore, the city was convinced that they would never seen NFL again so they got a CFL team. They played at the Memorial Stadium where the Orioles and Colts used to play.

They were originally called the "Baltimore CFL COLTS" but Satan Tagliabue and Jim "The Drunk" Irsay threatened to sue them if they used that name.

[​IMG]

So they became the "Baltimore Stallions."

[​IMG]

They only lasted for two season.
    94 - Made it to the Grey Cup
    95 - Won the Grey Cup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a very bitter/sweet time. The move of NFL from Cleveland to Baltimore was announced during the playoffs.
    The Stallions brought the Grey Cup home to Baltimore and they was told to pack up and head back to Canada. Today they are that "Montreal Alouettes."

But those were some great times. Tickets were only $15-$25.
    They set an attendance record in the playoffs at 53,000.
    I had free season ticket through my work.

They will remain the only CFL team in America ever to win the Grey Cup.
    Because there are no more CLF teams in America today.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    One thing I liked about XFL was how instead of a coin toss, two players would rush to grab the ball and whoever could maintain possession had the option to either kick or receive.
    I thought that was really cool!!!

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Abso100%lutely. The merger brought the NFL into the modern age. This was and still is the most exciting football I have ever seen.

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    XFL was pretty fun. I think the strippers were the best...I remember watching the world league or something when I was a kid. I don't think I've ever been tempted to watch CFL. But I don't even really watch college. We have the Sabercats up here and I'll throw it on every once in a while, but it's not like I'm really looking forward to it or anything.

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    How do you know about the AFL? Arent you like 17?

16. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

LOL, yeah, i thought you meant the american footbal league :lol:

Arena league i cant watch. Its just too ridiculous imo

17. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Beat me to it!

USFL:tup:

18. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    I was not aware that there was an american team in the CFL. Thats nice. I watch a few games every now and then, the 110 yard field and the posts throw me off. But other than that its good football.

I liked that too. I think the first ever XFL 'cointoss' someone got hurt and was out for the rest of the season.

19. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah....the world league. I forgot about that. I think that was bought the NFL and turned into NFL Europe.

20. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Seperated shoulder.
    I was there. :tup:

I had season tickets to the Las Vegas Outlaws. It was a blast.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Was watching that game on tv right before my school's winter formal - it was alot of fun and I did regularly watch the games. You know who was one of the announcers for the XFL? Matt Vasgerian - Padres' own Matty V. Called the SF Demons/LA Xtreme game I watched the next day

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Baltimore Stallions
    Birmingham Barracudas
    Las Vegas Posse
    Memphis Mad Dogs
    Sacramento Gold Miners
    San Antonio Texans
    Shreveport Pirates

Stallions were the original CFL team in America. They began in 94. Several new teams evolved in 95.
    There was a plan to put a lot of new CFL teams in America but after the Browns moves to Baltimore and became the Ravens, that ended the Stallions time. So the whole plan flopped.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/cflinamerica/

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

How did the "Las Vegas Posse" do?
    Did you attend any of their games?

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Did you attend any "Las Vegas Posse" games?

25. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I was still in San Diego when the Posse played here. :no: