1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What was Reich and Co thinking during the slide?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by tito, Dec 1, 2014.

1. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    The difference between Philip Rivers when this team is running a quick up tempo no-huddle offense, with short drops and the mess of the 3 game losing streak is night and day. I was expecting Reich to push what worked last year in the no-huddle further, instead we seemed to add back in parts of Norv's offense with the same results.

What the hell was going on? I don't have a problem shifting what you do for a game or a drive if it's working, but to abandon your bread and butter which is clearly were Rivers excels, still baffles me. Allen seems to play better in it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Although seemingly back on track now, it has been frustrating to watch. I can't imagine how PR coped with it. It's hard to play with a clothespin on your nose...what with it sticking out of the face mask and everything.

3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I'm not sure Rivers wasn't involved to some degree. Would make sense that he might be pushing for more downfield stuff given all his time with Norv. Maybe Reich didn't reign him soon enough. The thing is for me, to see a QB complete 80% of his passes and dissect a defense in an up-tempo offense like Rivers did yesterday, if far more entertaining than the Norv scheme of the big play and little else.

4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I'm leaning the opposite direction, that McCoy and PR reined in Reich. We'll never likely know, but if McCoy and PR could be considered constants, Reich is the variable.
    That conjecture aside, any scheme that does not involve PR running an up-tempo offense should immediately be filed in the nearest trash can.

5. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Possible or McCoy let the two of them do their thing and he stepped in alone to stop it. Would be an interesting scoop for one the writers to get.

6. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Either way, glad someone finally grew a brain.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    I'm guessing he's thinking "please just don't get hurt" whenever Rivers slides.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +405
    Yeah...it's Frank Reich's fault and not the 4 centers that we have started since the season started. Lets not go down the Norv triade where we ONLY give blame to OC and never credit.

9. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +527
    Watching Philip run....wow....just kinda weird....every time I see it. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,235
    If only Philip could run half as gracefully as that 3-legged dog!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,920
    At least Rivers moves forward, I think........

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +5,069
    Chargers fans gnash teeth and shake their fists in the air because the offense is too 'predictable'.
    Chargers fans gnash teeth and shake their fists in the air because the offense doesn't do the same things week in a week out.

Could it be that the injuries to the team, the fluctuation at OL, and perhaps just a bit of bruised ribs on the part of the QB had a bigger impact on what was called, and what was game planned than some coach suddenly forgetting how to think football?

Sometimes the personnel available and what they can do from week to week changes the bread, if not the butter... Perhaps Rivers was feeling a bit rye those three weeks and now he is back to super nut...

13. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    They were calling deeper throws and longer developing plays. The tempo was also different. What was going on was putting Rivers in greater danger and putting more pressure on the Oline.

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    I don't see the point in complaining about it if they already fixed the issue.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,591
    This is where I mention Ryan Mathews averaging 5.1 yards per carry over the last 3 games. I know few fans like to admit it, but Mathews changes this offense for the better. Now that we have a shred of a run game defense actually have to take the time to GUESS what we're going to do again.

Also I'm glade to see the screen to Royal make a comeback.

16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,846
    Maybe someone should ask Reich what he was thinking...