1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WHAT WE KNOW AFTER WEEK 3

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
    http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/what-we-know-after-week-3/

Chargers section snipit...
    Titans 20, Chargers 17 – Jake Locker has his breakout game

[​IMG]

In one of the day’s most thrilling finishes, Jake Locker connected with rookie Justin Hunter for a 34-yard touchdown with 15 seconds left and the Titans trailing by 4. The win lifted Tennessee to 2-1 and dropped the Chargers to 1-2. Now in his third season, Locker has had games with more yards and more TD passes, but it all finally came together for him on Sunday.

Locker completed at least one pass to seven different receivers and threw for 299 yards and a score. He also flashed his athleticism, running five times for 68 yards and another touchdown. Chris Johnson pounded his way to 90 yards on 19 carries behind an offensive line that got a consistent push.

San Diego was undermanned on offense, missing deep threat Malcom Floyd and rookie OT D.J. Fluker, a first-round pick, but Philip Rivers was sharp. The lack of a running game haunted the Chargers as they couldn’t convert on critical third downs.

But nothing was as spectacular as the way this game finished.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,170
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000249040/article/what-we-learned-week-3-troubling-trends
    Tennessee Titans 20, San Diego Chargers 17

1. It will be interesting to see if Jake Locker earns more responsibility with his masterful 10-play, two-minute drill to win the game. The Titans had been the run-heaviest team in the NFL going into this week. Kendall Wright should have a bigger role going forward as well, as he's a quicker and more dangerous receiver after the catch than he was last season.

2. It was no coincidence that Kenny Britt was benched for the game-winning drive while Justin Hunter,Damian Williams and even Michael Preston saw action in three-wide receiver sets. The mistake-prone Britt committed two more penalties, dropped two passes and was shut out on five targets. He's been one of the least effective starters in the NFL this season. The Titans are a better team with him on the bench.

3. Ronnie Brown's rushing touchdown was the Chargers' first in 358 carries since a Ryan Mathews score early last season. Mathews has been the primary goal-line back, but Brown was in the game because it was a third-down play. The coaching staff still has a lot more trust in Brown and Danny Woodhead than Mathews in passing situations.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,170
    I have rooted, hoped, cajoled and offered a bucket of original recipe KFC to Jobu for RM24 to become the start I think he has the talent for. I think this is going to be his last season in bolts unless he can step up and reach his talent potential. He shows flashes, but inconsistency. Lets not put it all on him, our OL hasn't been a run blocking unit since about a year before we lost LT21.

4. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I don't think the Titans will be playing the Chargers secondary every week...

I think the Titans will go back to being a "run first" team and will pass when the opportunity presents itself. The Chargers secondary isn't creating turnovers and can't cover even mediocre wr's putting even lesser skilled opposing qb's in a position to perform well. Something the Charger defense has had a tradition of doing...giving up career days to quarterbacks...even bad quarterbacks seem to thrive against the Chargers...

Some thought that the Chargers secondary was simply a victim from top notch wr's (Johnson in week 1 and Jackson week 2) exploiting them...but the truth is, at this point, the Chargers secondary is having difficulty covering any team's receivers, regardless of their quality.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,170
    Cant argue with your take SayOw.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    The secondary isn't great by any means, but I bet they'd play a whole hell of a lot better if the Dline could get some pressure (or at least not be consistently dominated at the LOS). Can't leave even the best db's on an island all the time, let alone an average squad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    The L-backers seemed to blend into the turf as if they were swallowed up and spit back out 8 yards down field. Locker was flushed several times, no one was able to lay a hit on him, very poor tackling by the Bolts didn't help matter much either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Lack of pass-rush is killing us. A team can get away with having middling corners when its able to produce consistent and effective pass-rush. When it can't, your corners look like ours do - largely outclassed. Schematically, Pagano's doing us no favors and I fear he may be one of those coaches who is a fine positional coach but in over his head as a play-caller/strategist. We keep operating on the "bend but don't break" philosophy, playing lots of Cover-1, and playing our corners with large cushions and in zone coverage. The thing is, BBDB (as well as most zone-coverage schemes) are predicated on being able to get consistent pass-rush without having to blitz coverage personnel. Wade ran BBDB here, but we also had prime Merriman, Phillips, even Steve Foley and Jyles Tucker (who I'd kill for right now, that's how sad it is) getting pressure off the edge. There's a limited amount of time you can ask a DB to cover a guy in a zone before a receiver eventually find a hole in the zone and is open for a reception.

Now granted, doing this in the state of injured disarray we were yesterday (starting 2 backup ILB's, the backup SS, and a 3rd and 4th string boundary corner... on top of the injuries we took into this season, like Ingram) is nigh impossible, but that's where the coordinator needs to adapt scheme and strategy and make adjustments. Just the series prior, Pagano was getting creative with his blitzes (sending Weddle on one, sending a corner on another). Then we get to 94 yards to go for a game-winner with no TO's, and he goes into turtle prevent - to "prevent" against the deep ball... on a QB who hadn't been able to beat us deep all day. Sometimes it seems like Pagano just can't get out of his own way.

What makes this more painful for me is that 1) Dean (and Telesco, though I'd make a safe guess that Dean influenced this stance) was effectively forcing retention of Pagano (a DC under whom we had a middling defense that blew how many gift-wrapped wins last season and who we fielded the 4th worst 3rd down defense in the league) on HC candidates and 2) That one of those DC's available on the market had this not been the case would have been Ray Horton (who worked with/for Whisenhunt in Arizona and both had Pittsburgh staff ties), who showed just last season he could use scheme and play-calling to make up for less-than-ideal personnel.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Largely this. None of our edge-rushers (Freeney or Johnson) are demanding more than single-assignments (i.e. they're not posing enough of a threat to command double-teams), so teams have been able to double both 2 out of 3 of our downed linemen every play, and typically chip the 3rd.

Suffice to say, OL isn't our biggest need - even if King Dunlap isn't an "elite" LOT, in Coach D's blocking scheme he's serviceable. If we can't get pressure off the edge to force an OL to spread out and create larger gaps for our front 3 to exploit, we're going to need shutdown corners (and a DC willing to let them play press-man) to on both sides to not get carved up by opposing passing offenses.

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    No inside backers to control the middle of the field makes it tough on the boys up front. Don't know how many times I seen the NT string out a running play along the LOS and "no one" was there. Locker was flushed from the pocket several times, again "no one" was there and if he was he only caught air.

This isn't a bend but don't break defense as there is absolutely no control at any level except on rare occasions when the front 7 click. Youth and inexperience is a real ball buster on any of the teams but on defense the cost is really high. One missed tackle causes 3-5 players unnecessary additional work, its hard to win like that.

There are no complaints from me about this team. They're young, playing and learning which I believe will start bearing fruit around game six. Playing man up front and any soft zone behind the CB's is a slow death (IMHO) I'd rather see a hard rotation with a nickle or safety cheating up and threatening blitz pre-snap. Waiting for them to come to you is a hard way to win a game.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    WHAT WE KNOW AFTER WEEK 3:

[​IMG]

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,124
    Time is time. It takes time to get to the end of the season. For others, there is time to play in the postseason. Once upon a time, a team had a tough time starting up, then went wild and closed out the season by winning most of it's games. Then they went into the postseason. They almost took it all.
    For this team, they need time to jell, to heal, to get better at what they do. I hope it doesn't take too much time...

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I like the Pink Floyd song "TIME"

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    To be fair, I'm not sure many of us expected to be having the TIME of our lives right now.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760

Original Floyd @ the Murph, I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Hopefully next year a Ron Rivera or Rex Ryan becomes available. Highly doubt we re-sign Pagano if this continues.

However, if he does adapt, starting this week against a pretty good Cowboys offense, we shall see. Pagano, unfortunately is apart of the Norv Turner coaching tree. The same tree that doesn't believe in making in game or half time adjustments. Which is so critical, as we saw against Houston and Tennessee.

There are good players on this defense. The scheme just has to be right. Like Cam Thomas, he cannot be a 2 gap player, he does not eat up blockers. Unfortunately he didn't learn or pay much attention to the clinic Aubrayo Franklin put on last year here. This causes our top players on defense, Reyes and Liuget to get doubled, and the run game opens up. There is absolutely no pressure on the QB, and Dwight Freeney is doing all he can.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,170
    Did they leave with a concussion in the 3rd too?

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I can't remember......

19. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Rex Ryan ???? OH BOY!!!!!!! Do you think Spanos will allow MR FIX come.... OR do you think Ron Rivera Would come back to SD >? Wasn't Ron Rivera part of STOP MANNING ERA of our Defense? 14-2 year? 10 - 6 Year(s)?/ I know it's a business..

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Been there, done that. Our defense really wasn't anything special when he was here, just statistically friendly (and how much of that was benefited by the fact that the Raiders, Chiefs, and the season we played the NFC West before any of the teams there were particularly good?). Rivera ran the same zone-heavy, soft-cushion stuff we're seeing from Pagano when he was here. Technically, he's still running it now in Carolina, the only difference is he has a front-seven that has all hit their stride, or at a few positions finally have quality personnel, and they're closing down QB's before they have a chance to find holes in the zone coverage to throw to.

Rex... probably isn't going anywhere. I know people will say, New York media this or that, but Rex and that organization actually get along tremendously well. Unless the locker room turns on him (and Rex is a players' coach) similar to how the Ravens' locker room in the past turned on Brian Billick, he'll get at least another year.

Nobody's going to pry Keith Butler out of Pittsburgh; he's already turned down other DC offers to stay there as the heir-apparent to Dick Lebeau. However, Carnell Lake has shown a lot of promise working with their DB's and has a number of year immersed in the Lebeau-style defense. That said, I'm a little tentative again of any coach with some previous play-calling experience.

Reggie Herring may be someone worth looking at, as he does have prior DC (not pro, but college) experience, and was the one called upon to fill in for Wade during health scares in both Houston and Dallas before that.

Among my top two hires possibilities - and if he fails to garner HC interviews this next year he may be more receptive to looking to bridge that gap with a DC position - is Jim Tomsula (Niners' DL coach), who has prior HC and DC experience, is a big player development guy with an infectious attitude, and is principally the guy responsible (in spite of title) for the uptick in pass-rush output by the Niners in the post-Nolan era.

The other two on that list for me are both guys without traditional play-calling experience, but whom have experience I believe bridges that gap. Ken Norton Jr. has been immersed in that Pete Carroll ultra-aggressive 4-3 Under scheme for years, knows it inside and out, and was one of the "coach on the field" type linebackers of his era. He' shown the capacity on the field to read offenses pre-snap and direct his teammates to make adjustments, so there's substantial evidence to think he could put that together from the booth (though I think part of the reason he's resisted a position such as that for some time is that he loves being down at field level with the players).

Meanwhile Rocky Seto has been Carroll's protege and righthand man for quite a while now. This is a guy that started with Carroll as a graduate assistant at USC and has progressed to currently (Defensive) Passing Game Coordinator for the Seahawks. He actually has play-calling experience - albeit everything passed through the filter that was Carroll that last year at USC - and he's a massive strategist.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I would love Rex Ryan as the DC, I still think Ron Rivera could do a better job than Pagano at this point. I know there both long shots, but we should definitely be shopping around because Pagano is wasting some talent on this defense. I have faith, but I do not have patience.

How about Winston Moss from the Packers? Or Sean McDermott from the Panthers if Ron Rivera is fired this up coming off season.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    We really don't know shite. If the wheels come off, run for cover!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    No.
    I mean...just: NO.

I acknowledge that Ryan has some skill on the defensive side of the ball...
    but he has been such a colossal *** and spectacle the last few years
    that I just can't believe that any minor benefits could possibly outweigh the
    circus of stupidity that seem to envelope him...

There isn't supposed to be an "I" in team, but there's Rexy, in the A-hole...

There's Rex in the A-hole.jpeg

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Head coach isn't for him. But he hasn't had the best of rosters the last few years. He has kept his mouth shut recently though, you have to love the mans confidence he instills in his team. As a DC, he is someone I'd want. As a HC, no thank you. But, Ryan doesn't fit that McCoy and Co. mold, at least to me.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I agree, but I do hope that with Te'o and Butler back, Weddle will be able to stay back and help the secondary rather than playing at the LOS all the time

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Winston Moss likely isn't leaving for a DC gig. It's possible, sure, but he's been drawing some consideration for HC gigs - though again that may have largely been as a Rooney Rule candidate and with Ray Horton being arguable as or more qualified in both those regards, Moss may have to up his resume some. McDermott's really not doing much of anything in Carolina. It's Rivera's defense - McDermott is running the practices and serving as Ron's second in command to overseeing it; McD was uttlery worthless and clueless in Philadelphia in his only other stint as a DC.

Looking over our personnel, I wouldn't fancy trying to turn us into a full-blown 4-3 anyway - which is what McDermott and ideally Rivera would want to do. We could function pretty darn well as a 4-3 Under (similar to what Seattle runs and what Jacksonville has been trying to implement), as that scheme effectively runs a 5-Tech DE, a 1-Tech, and a 3-Tech/Undertackle and then typically runs the weakside pass-rusher as an Elephant or "Joker" where they are starting from a two-point stance and rushing effectively every play, we just might need to do some juggling around of our LB's in order to make sure a 2nd round pick wasn't wasted in the investment in Te'o because of lacking athleticism not fitting into the scheme. It can be done - Te'o's honestly comparable to Rey Maualuga in terms of ability and athleticism and Rey flourished in this scheme in college (made him look a lot better than he actually is).

27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and you can remember that?

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Oh yeah, and it was an excellent show!!!!!!