1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What will it take for Norv to return?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Oct 15, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    NO!!!
    This is not a "Norv Sucks" thread.
    But this is the way I see it.

The first two are givens...
    1.) Advancement in the Playoffs - Norv has a future in San Diego!!!
    2.) No Playoffs - Norv packs his bags.

If we finish the same way we did last season, does he return?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why dont you ask this after the 10th game when people can weight the results better?

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    OK. But do you agree that the first two are givens?

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Must get to the playoffs.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I want advancement.
    That's why we made the coaching change (I think)!!!

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Look, we're talking bare minimum. We have to make the playoffs or he could/should be fired. What happens in the playoffs is a different story. Depend on how we finish, who we draw, where we play, ect.

7. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I thought we made the change because Marty wanted to hire his brother and Spanos didn't like that.

At least thats what I read on this forum a week or so ago.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    a playoff win

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No. I dont see AJ letting his hand picked staff go after one season. Excuses will be made, if needed. I hope they are not needed.

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    /conspiracy_theory

Regardless of how this season goes, the deal is already done. In 2008, Norv moves to OC, Rivera moves to DC, and AJ introduces the Chargers new head coach, Bill Cowher.

/end conspiracy_theory

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    to be honest. Its the progress the coaching and players are making now that is important. They had to get to know each other via the game day war. Thats what builds camaraderie and learning how to use each other best.

Right now I'd say if they keep building on what they're developing now I'd say it would be a mistake to not bring back all these coaches next year. Even cottrell. He even seems to finally be getting it and attacking with the defense.

Lets hope for the best. I still want a championship this year. If they keep improving each game this chargers team can beat the patseys in the playoffs.

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    For him to put his car key in the ignition.:yes:

He isn't going anywhere. As much as everyone, including AJ & Spanos thought we wouldn't/shouldn't skip a beat, I think the reality of it is it did. The fact that we had so many coaching changes. It was unfortunate for the players but now that coaches & players alike are getting in sync with each other, I foresee good things happening and Norv & staff will all be back.

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    If we don't win a playoff game and it comes down to defense I think that Ron Rivera will be promoted to DC. He might be so anyways.

I don't see us firing Norv unless we can get a REALLY good HC our team can trust. The biggest reason our team has falltered is because of the coaching changes and he didn't know our team.

Teams like the Steelers improved because well they did horrible last year (I expect them to lose at least 4 games) and they had only minor coaching changes.

If we win the Colts I see that as dimming the blow to Norv and our coaching staff. Even if we lose a playoff game close to a good team that will go a long way in helping.

I must say I like our offense. If Rivers can get Parker back and start playing better we can beat most teams and might make the Pats run for their money.

14. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Are we goingi to go through this again!?

I think Norv will get a 2nd year if he just makes the playoffs regardless if he advances or not .. He'll need to improve the following year otherwise he is gone.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That will depend on how we stack up the last ten games and then how well we comport ourselves in the playoffs. Another early collapse and Norv is on the bubble. At a minimum we have to take the division. If we play New England in the playoffs, his fate may depend on how we aquit ourselves. Another route might pop the bubble. Win or lose, though, if we play well against the Pats, he probably gets another year. That's assuming they don't get upset before we meet them.