1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What will Ron Rivera bring to the Bolts in 2007?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    This is something I've been curious about. Ron Rivera was very well-regarded as a DC. So how big of an impact will he have as our linebacker coach? What does a LB coach do during the week? How much input will Rivera have in game-planning? What is Rivera’s defensive philosophy, and how well will it mesh with Cottrell’s?

If there are other pertinent aspects of the Rivera hire, please add to the discussion.. Hopefully you guys can help me out, because I’d really like to know what we can expect out of Rivera from an X’s and O’s standpoint.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    One thing Rivera will teach is an emphasis on stripping the football. The Bears were as aggressive as any team I've ever seen at going after the football. I think Rivera will refine the technique used by players, and he will act as an asst. D coordinator, helping Cottrell design defensive gameplans.

3. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Lovie Smith was the DC in Chicago acting as HC, much the same way we're thinking Norv will be the OC here acting as HC.

Smith and Rivera didn't see eye to eye on some things so judging Rivera by Chicago's production might not be the brightest idea. Smith didn't want Rivera back.

I hope he makes Cottrell get out of his conservative ways.

4. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

Smith kicked Rivera out? Why? Personality conflict? Did he just not want to give him a raise?

I'm interested in all the new people as well, and not just the ones in pads. I really don't know anything much about all of them. Mostly what I've heard is about Norv from Bolts forum-folk.

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Hopefully, a Bill Cowher-like "in your face" 'tude...

[​IMG]

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Isn't there a history of Bear HC's and DC's being unable to get along...

I'm down with him getting us some more turnovers. Shawnes gonna have like 25 sacks with 20 fumbles. Except for those crap calls when they take it away from him IN THE GRASP = WTF!!!

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    It wasn't about money. Lovie didn't want him back. They didn't see eye to eye on some things.

No one around here knows what Rivera will bring to the table because judging him as a DC while working under Lovie is kinda like judging Cottrell as a DC while working under Wade Phillips. You know the HC ran the show on defense and you don't know what the DC agreed with or was overruled about.

We'll just have to hope he's a good motivator and I personally hope he's aggressive to get Cottrell out of his ultra-conservative ways.

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    there's a boatload of Rivera articles out there... google is your friend...

apparently, from those I read, Rivera loves to blitz from every direction, Lovie prefers the Cover-2 LB's in coverage...

sounds like a good fit here... :lol:

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think you are making alot of assumptions. You call cottrell "conservative" but you offer no basis for this claim.

I think Rivera wanted more control in Chicago than Lovie was willing to give him. Rivera is a highly respected defensive coach, and not just because of the performance of the Bears' defense. Rivera is highly thought of by players he's coached and coaches he's worked with.

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    hmmm, he called the defensive signals for two years, it's documented... what more control does a DC get???

11. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Riveria was a highly regarded LB coach even before he went to Chicago. He coached for the Eagles LB under jim Johson, who is very aggressive. He was also LB under both Tobin and Buddy Ryan in chicago, so he is fimilar with several different types of schemes, not just the cover 2 Lovie Smith liked.

His biggest impact will be working with the ILB this season. I think Wilhelma nd Cooper are ready to start, but it is nice to know they have their own coach to help them along. Also, Cottrell has coached under Buddy Ryan as well as Wade, so all 3 have some common ground with the players to help them relate to each other.

The thing about Shuan and Shawne is that we have a seperate OLB and ILB coach. So Rivera is not going to be spending that much time with them. Pagno who was the players choice to be promoted to DC coaches the OLB. That is really the way to go since OLB and ILB are really nothing alike in our D. THe OLB are DE and initiate action by attacking upfield. The ILB are like the MLB and WOLB in the 43, reading and reacting to things in front of them, and then running to the ball. Rivera has a lot of experience with that, as a player and coach.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    If there's one thing I'd like Rivera and Cottrell to change is 3rd and long. I swear I can't handle the corners being 10-12 yards off the receivers while only rushing four. IMO our defense is SO much better when we stay on the attack. Personally I was excited when we hired Ron and still am especially with a couple new guys inside.

I want to see people get their fuggin heads taken off. :yes: :bolt:

13. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

No basis for Cottrell being conservative? ok if you say so. Is there any basis for him being aggressive? He has a more conservative reputation than Martyball. That's just who he has been. I'm not saying its right or wrong. I'd prefer aggressive, but let's see what he does.

Rivera wasn't highly respected by Lovie, who ran that defense. But again. that's not a rip. He could be the best defensive coach ever. I like his potential. I think he's a decent hire. Rivera's entire rep is built on his time in Chicago. To me that leaves him as somewhat of an unknown because he hasn't gotten out from under Lovie just yet to show what his decisions alone will do. Kinda like Cottrell under Wade before he left the Bills. The potential is there. Its unproven at this point.

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    My hope is for Rivera to get our ILBs ready. If he can do that, he's ok by me.

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    THAT used to drive me freaking crazy and was responsible for most for the foul language hurled at the TV on game days...

16. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    FWIW, I don't mean to be negative on the Rivera hire. It's hard to argue bringing in the DC from a Super Bowl team to be your LBer coach.

This was something funny I was reading a couple of weeks ago...never thought of it that way:

17. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    If I am Rivera, I am happier working for Big Ted than for Kurt Shottenheimer.

I thought Pagano was credited for a lot of the game planning and in game adjustments last year. He is now working for Rivera. Who works for Teddy. Another layer of intrigue.

Is it not common knowledge that Rivera is here only to get some experience with the 3-4 enroute to his next coaching gig (presumably a head coaching gig)?

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I think he's here this year to learn. Take in the 3-4 under Cottrell and be in a position to take over for either him or Turner down the road. There had to have been a pretty hefty carrot dangled to get him to take a demotion to go with us. I bet AJ was really high on him as a leaders but felt that he had to learn some new systems before giving him a coordinator of HC position.

19. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I recall that Buffalo's base 3rd and long package when Wade and Cotrell where there was with 4 CB types (Henry Jones their pro bowl SS was used like a CB) up in press coverage and 2 S back deep, with a 4 man rush line (with usually 3 or 4 DL depending on what season it was) & a LB in the middle shadowing the RB/3rd down back. They played a lot of man to man coverage like that, but probably mixed in some cover 2 stuff as well.

So in the past, Cottrell and Wade have done the more aggressive stuff too. Are we more passive because they didn't feel they had the personnel for it? Or did we feel that the O was scoring enough points that bend & don't break was fine?

While I like that sort of thing, I expect that we might not necesarily use that sort of thing for the simple reason we have more depth at LB and are not as good in the secondary unless Oliver steps up. Rather then play them quite so tight, having them off in the 3-5 yard range allows them the option to play bump technique, but also be part of the blitz package.

I would also like to see Harris get on the field more as an edge rusher, so we can move Merriman around to gain mismatches. The other guys I like to see rush inside are Igor and Jamal. Both are mostly run stuffers, but their inside power make a nice compliment to the outside rush of the OLB. And mostly I think we need to try and rotate our rushers more then in the past. Too many times we got stuck without much of a rush when they got tired down late in the game.

this season we need Jue, Weddle or Oliver to step up and give us another option to help in the 3rd down pass defense. I kind of hope it is Oliver so we can turn to more press coverage. Jue has never been consistent enough before, although he has flashed the ability to be a good press CB. Weddle is a smart guy, so he could figure in too. All lack the ideal speed for a starter, so nickle and dime is about the best we can hope for right now.

20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    see google is your friend.... :lol:

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm not claiming Cottrell is an aggressive D Coordinator, but you are claiming that he's very conservative. If you are going to make a statement like that, at least be able to back it up with facts.

Lovie respected Rivera enough to hire him in the first place. Rivera wanted a significant pay raise from Chicago to return. Chicago did not want to pay him. Therefore, he was not re-signed.

Rivera's rep was not built entirely in Chicago. He built a strong reputation while working for Jim Johnson in Philly, who runs one of the most aggressive defenses in the league. Rivera is largely credited with the development of Jeremiah Trotter.

22. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Having Rivera broadens the base of the staffs' football knowledge.

Cottrell has worked in a Tampa-2 system (with Herm Edwards at NYJ) and a one-gap 3-4 with Wade in Buffalo.

Rivera brings more Tampa-2 experience from Chicago, and "46" knowledge as well.

Combining a few sets of Tampa-2 and the 46 into our defense to change up the look for the offense could be another aspect of the unpredictability of this defense. I'm not suggesting SD use either as a base set, but rather as an occassional "let's screw with the opponent's QB" from time to time.

As far as the earlier discussion about Lovie Smith and Rivera. Lovie Smith's first choice for DC when hired by the Bears was (then) Tampa Bay DL coach Rod Marinelli (now Detroit Lions head coach). The Bucs denied permission to Marinelli to inverview for the job (hey Marty, that is POSSIBLE!!!). So, Chicago Bears GM Jerry Angelo turned Smith towards former Bears player, Ron Rivera. Rivera was never a disciple of the Tampa-2, so he was an odd fit as Lovie's DC.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    fire and brimstone

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    :lol: He's a preacher?

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Thanks to everyone for the excellent responses. Here's some comments by Rivera about his defensive philosophy, back when he was interviewing for a head coaching gig:

“I think it’s my time,” Rivera said Sunday night after the Bears’ 29-17 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. “I will see how it unfolds. I have done what I needed to do. It’s up to the owners and what they want. We will see what happens.”

In three seasons on Lovie Smith’s staff, Rivera has guided one of the NFL's top defenses. The unit scored a franchise-record and NFC-high six touchdowns in 2004, led the NFL in points allowed and ranked second in total yards in 2005 and topped the league with 44 takeaways in 2006.

“I feel very good about what we do and the way we do things in terms of trying to create the takeaways, trying to play physical, trying to play downhill,” Rivera said.

“I like the fact that I’m involved with what we do in terms of being one of the better defenses in the league. It’s about a philosophy, a desire, and I think I’ve been able to pass that on to the players. I really like what we do with the Xs and Os.

“I think the things we’ve implemented really speak highly to what I have learned over the years.”

One thing we know, Rivera certainly has no problems giving himself props for the Bears' defensive success. :lol:

I like that Rivera favors the aggressive approach that Jim Johnson employs. And I think he deserves at least some credit for the Bears 'D.

26. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    Would've rather had Rivera as DC, but he doesn't have 3-4 exp. so, oh well.

27. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Cottrell coached the LB and DL in AZ under Buddy Ryan in the 46 D (with the Ryan brothers as well). Wade coached the DL under Buddy when he first went to Philly.

Rivera best experience is in the blitz oriented 43 that Jim Johnson coordinates. It is a very different 1 gap 43 scheme that favors a lot more 7 man fronts and a lot less 8 man looks then the 46 defense does. Both where very blitz heavy when Rivera was exposed to them.

For the morbidly curious, the TB cover 2 scheme was originally called the 43 over.under defense that was adapted from the 34 1-gap defenses being played in colleges at the time that NFL teams started to switch back to the 43. The terminology is different, but the 34 with the rushing LB who lines up way outside the OT and DE shifted inside to help stuff the run is much the same as the 43D with a DT lined up outside the OG, and a RDE who lines up way outside the OT. They are very similar in most regards.

28. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Rivera also played two years in Chicago while Buddy Ryan was the DC.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As someone else said earlier, Rivera is here to learn the 3-4. It wouldn't surprise me to see him at DC by next year. If not, I think he's a HC somewhere else within 2 years.

I like the idea of changing the look of our defense from time to time, opponent to opponent. Like it or not, Bellicheck & the Pats have had success doing that, & will continue with the addition of Adalius Thomas's versatility. This may be where Rivera can have the strongest input.

Aggressiveness is our main strength, & that needs to be the key to this year's D. Even with an improved secondary, nothing can replace getting after the QB & being disruptive. We know we've got the run stuffers in place. I hope that Shawne, Shaun, Harris, Waters, Polk, etc. turn on the afterburners. Coop, Wilhelm, Dobbins, & Siler can hold down the middle. That will help our DB's out tremendously. It's when we lose the aggressive pass rush that our secondary gets burned.

Ah, yes - nearly time for camp & the promise that it brings! Here's to a great year in Bolts history!! :icon_toast: :icon_banana:

30. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Id assume one season as our LB coach who is learning the 3-4 to give him more flexibility for landing a HC job in 2008.

Should be a good coach for our LB's too ;)