1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What worries me about the Oakland game.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    We got beat in the trenches. Plain and simple, Oakland was by far the more physical team against both our offensive and defensive lines.

LT rolling his ankle and not being the LT of old worries me a little also, but that's going to play out how ever it plays out.

BUT, both our offensive and defensive lines looked overmatched. Reality check here guys. I really thought this was our year, but if Monday night was any indicator, we're not going anywhere this season. Sure, we'll probably still win the division because the AFC West is not good, but one and done in the play-offs would not do this team justice.

I'm not freaking out to the point that I think the sky is falling and all is lost. We can still make a run, but both the offensive line and defensive lines need to step the **** up. Offensive line concerns me the most with the injuries, but even before that, the right side was suspect. Clary needs to step it up big time or we need someone else in there that will. Luis Vasquez - hope he's not to badly hurt. He's still raw. He's a strong kid. Hope he's a fast learner. Hope Hardwick isn't hurt to bad either, because Muckrusty (while a good backup) isn't our answer even for a short while at center.

Chargers need to make a statement against the Ravens next week, or this is going to be one tough season.

Go Bolts!

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Hard not to get beat in the trenches when 3 offensive linemen go down.

I hope they're healthy next week.

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Rivera needs to bring the heat this week. :yes:

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Two offensive linemen went down, not three. But, they were getting beat in trenches from play one. Well before the injuries.

I'm with you. I hope they're healthy next week also. Norv needs to suit up more than 7 linemen this week also. If another guy had to come out, Brandon Manumaleuna would have been our emergency lineman. He got some size, but not sure I'd want to see a TE play as a regular o-lineman.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    HELL YEAH!

I saw the Chargers were blitzing and running stunts, but the Raiders were picking it up almost everytime.

Fire and Brimstone this week against the Ravens. BRING THE HEAT!

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ZxDubYF?slug=ap-chargerswin&prov=ap&type=lgns

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Right idea...just remember that Flaco can run pretty good as well.

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Flaco is a good young QB, but I really hope the Chargers can force him into one of his worst days as a pro.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    None of the injuries really matter and is a moot point, our boy's are still going to have to show up and play. If our line woe's continue into the second quarter of the season then it may just be time to show concern.

First game of the year and first real action up to speed is always different, even from the practice games. Once these guy's play into football shape it starts to change and we'll all see the progress of both lines.

Oakland was at home and trying not to go down for the 12th time, they had extra incentive to come out swinging and did their best to steal a win. They gave us their best shot and we remained standing and came back with a few counter punches of our own. Don't fret now, it's not time to throw in the towle and think the season is lost.

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    The lines were the number one concern I had, too. The fact that some of ours got hurt only furthers the picture that they were dominated. It was the first game for both teams, neither had gotten used to full speed action. It will need to get better to win two out the next three games.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I thought the second half that the D line did pretty good. They were pushing the Raiders O line back on Russel quite a bit.

The injuries have me a little worried.

I am not supper woried about the team not looking polished or the O not getting in rythm until the second half. Same thing happens every year. That is why I refer to the first game of the season as the fifth preseason game.

Now excuse me for puking cool aid all over you all... :)

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't think the season is lost. I am concerned, yet remain cautiously optimistic about the season. If we just got beat in the trenches, that would be one thing though. We were dominated. It could have just been an aberration, but the last time I saw us dominated in the trenches like that was against the Titans in the playoffs. We won that game also, but lost the next week.

I do hope you're right. We've got Ravens, Dolphins, Steelers coming up. Those are all going to be tough games. The Chargers wanted to start strong this season and not play catch up. I's love to see the Charger win all of those, but realistically, there's a better than fair chance we lose one or two of those games. I don't like the idea of starting 2-2, so hopefully they're come on strong.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Thumper is right. Our first teamers got eaten alive in the trenches. On both sides of the ball.

The injuries came as the result of being manhandled.

There is reason for concern.

But... f.uck all that. These are grown men who have now been given a wake up call in week one. They'd better get real mean real quick.

I still see these guys yappin' and not backing it up.

SHUT UP AND PLAY.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    too much scheme on both sides of the ball IMO. this team thinks they're ready for a run and are forgetting that the game is fundamentally about f'n people up. this goes for the players and coaches...

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    NOMINATED FOR POST OF THE WEEK!

...and not just because it starts with "Thumper is right." :icon_toast:

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    The sky isn't falling for the Bolts, but we really do need to man up in the trenches, there are wayyyyy more physical teams we'll face this season, and it'll be a very LONG season if we don't settle this soon.

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think saying we got dominated is fair. Our d-line started the 1st quarter by playing really undisciplined and giving up alot of rushing yards. After the first quarter, they started playing alot better. They only gave up around 20 yards rushing per quarter in the last 3 quarters, versus 80+ in the first. The D also gave up only one TD after the first quarter, and that was a busted coverage on 4th and long, hard to blame the D line for that one. I think the early rushing success really slowed our pass rush, but as the game wore on, they got stronger, consistently pushing linemen back into Russell's face and making life difficult for him.

As for the offensive line, they clearly did not play their best, but I don't think they were terrible. Oakland's defensive front is damn good, and the Charger's Oline play did get better as the game wore on. Typically, when teams get physically dominated in the trenches their play does not improve as the game wears on. I think the poor line play was more due to mental mistakes than it was physical domination. The mental mistakes can be fixed.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I agree BUT..............

We need to get our plays off faster. Quick draws, Three step drops, quick slants.

We got to get the other team's defense timing off

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Good points. Play calling could have been better for sure. I was screaming the whole game for a screen pass. If they're just going to tee up and rush, we should have made them pay for it. At least it would have kept them honest. Also, the Raiders were over pursuing. A well timed reverse could have been broken for a huge game. Norv was more creative when he was o coordinator. Why can't we do that now?

21. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    You hit the nail on the head. We need to get the ball off quicker. Also, LT cant run up the middle. Shifts and quicker passes.