1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's ahead for AJ....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HEXEDBOLT, Dec 4, 2008.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good read, HB. Thanks.

I'm not saying LT should or shouldn't be traded. I just can't go there. I want to see him finish his career as a Charger, but this IS a business. If it helps the team overall, so be it. I personally think it would be a mistake, but who am I? :icon_shrug:

Merriman needs to be re-signed. If AJ let's him walk then he really is a dumb cawksucker. He's the fire in this defense. Not Cooper, not SP, not even Jamal - it's Merriman. Letting him go would be a big mistake. AJ needs to get over any butt-hurt he has with Shawne & think about the welfare of the team, not his pride. Jyles Tucker is NOT a replacement for SM. No freakin' way.

Are Siler, Dobbins, and/or Waters going to answer the call in the middle? If not, we need to get an impact ILB either via FA or the draft. AJ can KMA regarding his reluctance to deal in FA - he can go get a POS like Derek Smith but won't go after quality guys? WTF? :icon_huh:

Both lines need a major revamping. Jamal's heir apparent needs to be found - and soon. Replacing Igor is fine, but with Bingham? Don't see much upgrade there.

Last but not least is the support for Norv Turner. It's gonna be real hard for me to stick by this team if they decide to trade LT, not re-sign Merriman, but keep Turner as HC. That, IMO, would be a move of immense stupidity & would seal the Chargers' fate for moving out of SD.

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Draft O-line Beef
    Draft a pass rusher
    Draft a RB
    Draft a safety
    re-sign Merriman
    Get a new Kicker
    :icon_toast:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I just can't see the Bolts letting LT go while they keep Norval

He better do something next year or he's gonna have a mutiny

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...He could care less about a mutiny. He's an arrogant, I know it all, so he'll keep doing his thing regardless of it's merit or intelligence. Norv's coming back, for sure? Now isn't that just the thing I feel like reading in the early morning. It's like having vomit for breakfast. Thanks a lot A.J.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    In that case, why not just resign Sproles.
    LT, Hester, Tolbert, Sproles... that should be a running game from Hell!!

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE!!!!

SO FIX IT!!!!!!!

imo - OUR #1, numero uno problem is - play calling and putting our players in a position to make plays.

:tdown:

8. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    The mutiny has already started.:yes:

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I am sooooo sick to death of hearing this!!!! :icon_evil:

“I believe in Coach Turner and know what he brought to this organization and this team during the 2007 season and in particular what he accomplished in postseason,” Smith said Wednesday. “Last year under his watch has been dismissed like yesterday's newspaper by many, but not me.

To everybody else still holding onto last season... again, NOBODY CARES!!! The loser of the AFCC is not remembered at the end of the season or even after the game.
    If AJ feels that AFCC Attendee defines this era, then he need to pack up and retire NOW!!!

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    We need a real back-up to LT. Someone who will take his place when he decides to hang it up or if he get's injured. I do not see anyone on that list that fits that role.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I have to disagree with you there. I think Sproles and Tolbert did very well in the first half of the season. I also knew and believe that Hester has a great future here.

With that said, (considering we get a new HC) it will be a good 3-4 years (at least) before LT hangs it up. Until we fix the line (that Norv dismantled), it doesn't matter who our running back is.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not defending Norv, but I don't think that he has dismantled this offensive line. Who's gone? Olivea? Big friggin' deal.

We need to upgrade the right side & put a foot in the rest.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly. This line has been successful for a couple seasons. Who did they collapse with very little loss of talent?

14. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Merriman is one of those players that doesnt come around to often, AJ would be very stupid to not re-sign him and i think since he is the one that drafted him that we will re-sign him, as for LT man i dont wanna hear the day where LT says he wants to be traded after this season, its one thing that could happen if he doesnt like AJ and Norv, as much as we all love LT we know there isnt much left in the tank and he wont be playing for much longer, its time to go out and draft a stud, last years draft class could have been the opportunity to do that and i think AJ screwed up on that, look at these guys having good years like chris johnson,ray rice,kevin smith,matt forte..etc..

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I dunno, but it isn't because he dismantled the line. Castrated them, perhaps, but not dismantled.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Injuries

Goff is playing on a bad knee and should be sitting out.
    Hardwick is still not recovered from the foot IMO.
    McNeil is playing well but is effected by the rest of the line.
    Clarry is playing well, but is a journeyman, not a star IMO.

The O line have to play together, playing injured doesnt allow that. They are doing the best they can, and do not have a ton of quality depth.

There is always next season.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Do you know how many seasons that I have heard there is always next season? :icon_beer:

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I hope you are right but I don't see it. I define Sproles as a situational/change of pace back. He can not take a heavy load all season. Tolbert is a FB and it is fine to give it to him 3 times a game. Hester is an unknown right now. I don't see him as a full time back though. I don't like to compare it to last year since our line sucks and all but we could use a Michael Turner type.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    One more now. :icon_tease:

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

in my mind the play calling has as much to do with the ineffectiveness of the line as injuries, lack of talent, and lack of depth.

:tdown:

21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

We've played on our heals all year long. We don't attack on offense or defense. I want to see reckless abandon. I'm sick of this playing not to lose bullshit. I don't care whether we are in it halfway thru the 4th. I want to be stomping on opponents necks and when they start begging for mercy then thats when we kick them in the teeth. :icon_twisted:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This I agree with. Sproles is not a feature back. He's a Reggie Bush type of player. You use him for punt returns, running back and receiving. Though I think it works if you give both him and Tolbert some running plays.

Hester is unknown but the reason he was brought here was to replace Turner. When LT injured his toe, Norv should have sat LT and let all three guys carry the team.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    You forgot DIelman who I think was playing the best of all of them
    Goff's obviously on his last legs (no pun intended)
    McNeil is playing solidly
    I don't know about Hardwick
    Clary I think is a better backup

24. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Well said. This team can be fixed with a few tweaks and AJ is the man to do it. :icon_toast:

We need a 3rd and short or a 4th and goal bruising running back in the worst way.

Kaeding either has to start kicking it into the endzone on kicks or he has to go !!!

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

I have to agree with the Concmister on this one, Hardwick ain't right right. Goff with a bum knee and Big Mac slowed by the neck injury. Not to mention Gates hobbled the first half and LT goes down in the first game. Hard to get any offense going with 5 of your starter banged up. :bolt:

26. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    AJ has a major task ahead and I hope he pulls his head out his "****" by signing Merriman long term. Signing Merriman is the key to the future of this franchise. When reading the part of possibly trading LT, I got this sick feeling in my stomach partly because we all know everyone becomes expendible at one time or another. Is this a sign of LT becoming trade bait? God I hope not. I guess I feel this way because this franchise has not had a player that has made a significant impact like he has. I'm with the majority in wanting LT to retire as a Charger along with a ring or two.

AJ SIGN A FREE AGENT OR TWO TO ADDRESS THE PATHETIC OL.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Wouldn't thats be heels, and not heals. Just askin. :icon_shrug::icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    After last nights game we may have Norv for one more year.:icon_eek:

29. Fouts