1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the 3 positions you would upgrade

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Oct 1, 2014.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    So far I see 3 glaring needs from my view, and ima say 3 draft picks that I would replace them with.

1. Defensive tackle, we take up absolutely no space from our middle, I feel like it doesn't let our mlbs play to their potential. I would draft Ellis McCarthy dt ucla to fill this need.

2.wr I also feel like we have no legimate wr to take the pressure off Keenan Allen , I mean yes royal has some nice gains and Floyd is open every blue moon, but he's more injured than not, I would draft rashad Greene wr Florida state,

3.cb while yes verrett is playing good ball, flowers is doing his things, Marshall kinda sucks a big bag of d icks, Steve Williams is a great player but idk if he will last, and wright stays getting burnt and giving up flags, I would draft quandre diggs cb Texas to replace him.

That's the 3 biggest needs I see

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Soooooooooooooooooooooo...I'm guessing you haven't had a chance to see our offensive line so far in 2014... (?)

(some say they put the "offensive" in "offensive line.")

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I have but watts can step in at center given the chance, clary could be a veteran rg, not a great improvement but better than trout man, this topic was for your 3 biggest positions and who'd you replace them with. I see none in your post. But thanks for the input.

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Oh...I thought defensive tackle and cornerback did make sense. But I might even put O-line in front of both.
    (certainly far in front of wr)

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Interesting observation!

6. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    By great I mean he's a quick twitchy player with great athletic ability, but his decision making and football iq is worrying me, I should have elaborated alittle bit more.

7. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Despite the truth in the old adage that football games are won and lost at the LOS, most fans only take note of the OL when there is a false start, sack, or RB getting nailed for a loss in the backfield. Rivers seems to be able to make due with whoever he throws the ball to, if he is granted the time to do so. The glaring needs here are obvious.

1. C. Time to find a replacement for Hardwick while Legursky is holding the fort. Ohrnberger is a keeper, but you need at least two players to maintain depth.

2. G. Assuming King Dunlap has a few miles left in the tank, the guards are our bigger issue. Troutman should be gone. Rinehart is looking weak. Clary's return should help, but for how long?

3. NT. I am still thinking about Jamal Williams. Cam Thomas could not rise to that level. We still need to find somebody who can. Those kind of players who can tie up two blockers are few and far between.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    If CB makes the list of 3 biggest needs while having, even in your opinion, 2 viable good starters then we must be a very strong team in your mind.

I'd rank areas along the OL and RB above that. (RB could vary depending on Matthews' and Woodhead's contract and health status going into 2015)

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I definitely think the lines are the most underapreciated and important parts of the roster...but as someone who admitedly isn't too familiar with the X's and O's of the game I find it difficult to really assess how well they're doing outside of false starts, sacks, or RBs getting nailed for a loss. I'm forced to rely on the opinions of others, lol

10. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I
    I really think our team is strong, and while yes our oline is a little shaky at the moment, In due time we will see an improvement this season, and it will most likely be addressed in fa. But I put bc at number 3 because Marshall wright and Williams are playing sub par football, if we can land another viable starter and let Addae play ss our secondary could be extremely strong, especially it attaochu develops into the player we think he can be, and if Melvin will stay from getting injured our defense could be dangerous like 2006. All we need is a good cb and a good dt and everyone will play better than they really are due to the pressure. On the offensive side of the ball everyone is staring at Keenan giving him very little room to shine, if in anyway we could hit the jackpot and get a wr who can stretch the field and make the d respect them, Keenan could develop into a top 5 wr giving us the playmaking ability we haven't had since vj, as far as the rb situation it's a cluster ****, mathews is iffy at best because u don't know if he's gonna fumble or get injure or have a big game, fumble and injury are far more likely. Donald brown can't shoulder the load he never could not even in Indy. I'm still scouting rbs, but I see few I'd want none of which I would draft early.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I'm not as worried about Ryan's fumbilitis as the average fan. He had a lot of it in his first two years and I think that set the tone in most fans' minds about his abilities, but he quietly got that under control thereafter. But because people already viewed him as a fumbler (not to mention the ill-timed goalline fumble against ATL in one of his only 2 fumbles in 2012) anytime he does fumble it sticks out like a sore thumb in a "there he goes again" sort of way.

But guys like Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson have fumbled the ball more often than Ryan Mathews has since 2012.

His propensity to get injured often, however, remains a valid concern.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    The interior of both lines - DT & OG are the areas I say are the clear spots for upgrade. If you count OG & C as just interior O Line, then to me the 3rd area would be WR. I like this group we have, but a young #2 to develop next to Keenan would be cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    NT/OG-C are my top priorities right now
    Secondary include WR (another running mate for Allen), DE (depth potentially), OLB (Need depth in case of injuries) and maybe RB.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    1. Center - I think this is by far and away the #1 need.

2. OLB - JJ and Freeney are old, Ingram has proven untrustworthy, you can never have too many pass rushers.

3. OG - I'd kill for a Zach Martin or Joel Bitonio right now.

Honerable mention: DE - Kendall Reyes has played 3 average games in a row, which makes for the best he's ever consistently played.

NT is also a concern but with how much nickel we run I'm not overly concerned about it compared to pass rush right now.

15. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Either a Guard or Center, Wide Reciever and Defensive end instead of tackle. I think we can still go another year of scouting and searching for these guys. Our Ilbs need to just play harder (esp butler) to compensate for an average nose tackle

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    1. Interior Oline for sure. Good news is millions comes off the books next year with Clary, Hardwick and Gaither. I think this is the spot we dig into FA with, grab a guard or a center. I think a draft pick in 3-5 round range should also be added. We should spend most of our money resigning our own, including Flowers and Dunlap.
    2. WR- I wanted one badly last year because the draft was deep and they take time to develop. We need one
    3. DE- Insurance or replacement for Reyes.

I would accept RB and maybe OLB in place of WR and DE, as they are needs as well moving forward. Offensive line is by far the biggest need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Getting a free agent guard and drafting a guard or center will cure our line in a heartbeat.I honestly would want us to get one of the best linemen in the draft instead of trying to find diamonds in the rough, so use a first for a guard or at least a second rounder. Also agree with WR. We need to find some speed burner with some size. I'm sick of small fast guys. Let's get an AJ Green type

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I tend to agree with these. My preference would be to give Watt the opportunity - after having a chance to develop properly with a year's worth of pro-level strength training - to prove he's not the answer at center unless tremendous value (Keenan Allen-esque) comes available in the mid-rounds (center is one of those positions where, given my druthers, I'd honestly rather spend a 1st round pick and get the top prospect at the position in the class if you're going to "go out and get one that's better than what you have on the roster").

With the LG it's sort of up in the air for me. Troutman has appeared to be a superior LG to RG - so was Stephen Schilling but we never played him there... always on the right. Thing is, my preferred approach of perhaps going the way the Rams went with Greg Robinson and drafting the LTotF and letting him apprentice at LG (not that that's worked out quite according to plan for the Rams as Robinson was outplayed at LG in the preseason), that probably won't work for us since RG may be arguably our bigger need (LG's, at least veteran stop-gaps, are relatively prevalent in the free agent pool as we saw with Rinehart).

NT... again, it really depends on what the grand vision is by Pagano for the defense. Are we rotating our NT's and DL because of lack of fantastic talent (outside of Liuget) or by design in order to keep guys fresh and offensive linemen unable to get a feel for the rushers coming at them on a given play? Are we 2-gapping? 1-gapping? A combination of the both (as the hybrid front with the increasing popularity of the 4-3 Under has brought forth lines like Seattle where one lineman is two-gapping while the others are 1-gapping)? I've yet to see a truly J-Wall-esque (combo pass-rusher AND run-plug) NT prospect in this next crop; Ellis McCarthy is purely a 2-gap guy and with questions about his knees (which is significant for a guy who carries as much weight as he does). Danny Shelton's production isn't the most consistent (he either goes off big or disappears, there's not a lot of in between; at least not this season so far). Carl Davis is one of those jack of all trades, master of none types. Nice high floor, but the ability to impact a game at the 0-Tech regularly the way that Dontari Poe does, he just doesn't have it. If we aren't looking at the position early, I could see the staff taking a shine to a guy like TCU's Chucky Hunter as someone that could complement and work well in a rotation with Carrethers, allowing us to work Lissemore into the DE rotation where he's a better fit.

19. Smokeychedder

Smokeychedder Alien

Ratings:
    +4
    The three positions I'd like to upgrade are :
    The Missionary, The Old Dog, and The Side Saddle .

rd2.jpg
    Now that's an upgrade !

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I'd go BPA, at Oline, RB, & WR. I don't think taking need is necessarily the answer instead of any blue chip collar player you can grab.

21. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Wouldn't it be great to get Rex Ryan as DC and let him work with Telesco and Mccoy to find a mutant defensive end or linebacker like he did in NY with Richardson

22. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Rex has been trying to plug as Charger coach for a while now. I'm starting to get wary of Pagano's inconsistency on Defense. I think if Rex gets fired he'll do a Ken Wiz type of deal and boost a team's defense somewhere and get a another shot at HC. I honestly don't think he is all that bad at HC, just a little bit too theatrical at times.

23. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    I'm debating whether we should, possibly switch DJ Fluker to a guard next year. We can find a serviceable RT and we can have a Probowl guard with Fluker then we draft a LG and play Watt at center. We'd have completely rebuilt our interior line with young players and if we lockup Dunlap then the only spot we'd have to worry about is that right tackle spot. So We use one draft pick on a lineman then one on another defensive player. From there we can add more talent around Philip, like another wr and rb

24. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    He's ****** in terms of offensive coaching. That's why I'd want to keep him as a DC and motivator

25. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Fair enough, which is why if goes to a team with great offense like ours. The team's entire record plus his work on defense will make him look all that valuable to the others that might want him down the road.

One things for sure though barring a Harvin is next Rice miracle his days in NY are over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    ellis mccarthy sucks the d

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    After today we need to re-think this entire roster, starting with the trenches. I'd like to see us dump this foolish 3-4 we pretend to run (which has really morphed into 4-2-5) and see Liuget and Reyes moved inside back where they belong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    We're certainly not getting much pressure inside, and not really stopping the run either. I think most of us know that the interior of both ) & D line need to be upgraded, hopefully that's where they prioritize in the draft.

29. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    If we can only do three, and a new DC doesn't count - then I think the areas of GREATEST need are OC, OLB, DL.

OL - Maybe Chris Watt is the OC of the future, maybe not. Maybe instead of drafting an OG and assuming any OG can play OC, we should try drafting a great OC and assume he could play OG if he had to? I would rather try to find a stud OC (big, fast, nasty and who has shown he is smart enough to be the line caller). Let Watt be an OG and backup OC. Hardwick was hardly the best OC in talent, but his loss as the glue in the middle of the OL has been catastrophic.

OLB - neither Ingram nor Attaochu have yet demonstrated much beyond potential, and Ingram is clearly looking injury prone. To depend on him, without a talented backup is very risky. The problem is that we needed the follow-on players for Jarrett and Freeney to be in the rotation this year so we could evaluate their ability to hold the edge, pass rush, and pass defend. Both of those guys are ancient in football years and need to be rotational, back-up, or retired. In any case, even if Ingram and Attaochu are the real deal, we need a stud backup. Pass Rush never ceases!

DL - if I really understood our scheme better I would be more specific. Until we get a DT/NT or a monster DE, who needs to be double teamed we are never going to win the numbers in the pass rush game, because teams are matching/winning any 5 on 5 group we bring right now.

30. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Hanestly who cares what 3 positions, what a random number. This entire team sucks balls. Fluker is a turnstile and we need to move him to guard pronto to see if he can handle it and determine whether or not to lock him up after his contract expires because if he can't hang inside he needs to go. He will only get stiffer as he ages and he can't handle the speed rush off the edge or inside moves.

The entire oline sucks and that only exceptional play that has come from the oline was earlier in the season from king dunlap.

Defense-wise the only players that should be kept are Liuget, Verrett, Attaochu, Ingram and Teo. What's pathetic about this is that 4 out of these 5 guys have been total chinadolls so far and only one of them has established himself as a consistent player. Basically the entire defense sucks **** and Weddle and Butler are two of the most overpaid useless pieces of dog turd in the NFL and both need to GTFO.

The Chargers are in no man's land, the worst place in professional sports. By the time they resolve the rest of the team Rivers and Gates will be retired. They need to trade all their short term assets and blow this ****** up and built it from the trenches, from the inside out, switch to a 4-3 and fire McCoy too.

I say trade Rivers to the New York Jets and start building the O-line and D-line. Once we have serial killers in the trenches we bring in Marty Schottenheimer, a QB and the bling and we will be a dynasty.