1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the general consensu about 2006?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by thejdog, Jul 12, 2006.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm predicting 11-5 or 12-4.

We'll go either 8-0 or 7-1 at home and 4-4 on the road.

Regarding division, I think we go 4-2. We sweep the Raiders and split with Denver and KC, winning our home games versus them, but losing in Mile High and Arrowhead.

The one home game I see giving us the most trouble is obviously the Pitt one and that's where I think it's a 50-50 chance we lose it.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Lets start with the defense.

We can be a number one defense but three things will be on T-Man's radar.

DEFENSE:

1. Nose Tackle - Jamal needs to stay healthy and somebody needs to nut up as a solid replacement to give Jamal a blow. We get too predictable when Jamal needs a breather. I am all about the BEEF - The lines. The rest of team means **** to me if the lines "where the war is won or lost" are not right. Our D-Line depth is atrocious. If Jamal goes out - kiss the season goodbye. We should never be in this position with this much talent.

2. Free Safety - Bow wow Jue sucksass. Mc Cree better be the **** because our cornerbacks have been getting screwed because of incompetant free safety play. If Marlon sucksasss then give the job to Clinton Hart. I like Hart anyway at Free Safety. McCree seem to be more of a banger by his build and I would like to see him at SS.

3. Pressure - the defensive front 7 needs to come together and get after the QB and force more turn overs. We are not getting nearly enough pressure. This makes our secondary look worse than what it is ......

Offense: One thing here:

1. The O-Line - gees that was easy but my eyeball is not on our new left tackle but our Center. Nick needs to get his asss in gear because he got abused and raped all last year. Next, Shane Olivea is not a goddamn tackle. You never put a stubby armed no wing span 6' nothing dude at the right tackle spot. He does NOT move well at alll in space. Put his asss at guard. I am not impressed with Shane Olivea. Dielman is a back-up and not a starting guard as well. He wore down too easily....quick out of the gates and just died at the end. Goff is Goff. Good locker room guy and mentor but he is slower than hell. His second level penetrations are nil.

Surprisingly, I do not worry about Brees being gone. Not at all. Rivers will connect and get in some skulls. He will get in faces ala Brett Favre. This dude will not be the weak spot.

Special Teams: Fire Steve "Bing" Crosby.

3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +502
    OK, here's the schedule and how I think it will layout:

9/11 7:15 pm Oakland Raiders (4-12) ESPN

We will pound Oakland in their house: 31-10 : Chargers 1-0

9/17 1:15 pm Tennessee Titans (4-12) CBS

Tennessee will get a rude welcome to the West coast and get crushed: 38-7 : Chargers 2-0

9/24 BYE

10/1 10:00 am Baltimore Ravens (6-10) CBS

Baltimore will put up the best fight yet, but our O can beat their D, their O cannot beat our D: 27-13 : Chargers 3-0

10/8 5:15 pm Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5) NBC

This is a good test for where our team is at come week 5. We were a mistake away from winning last year, and this year I give us a 60\40 chance of pulling this one off: 28-24 : Chargers 4-0

10/15 1:15 pm San Francisco 49ers (4-12) CBS

No comment: 35-3 : Chargers 5-0

10/22 10:00 am Kansas City Chiefs (10-6) CBS

This is our first break down game as I see it. Still early enough in the season that the old guys on KC's line will still be punching holes for LJ, and until our D proves they can stop him in KC, I give them the win: 21-28 : Chargers 5-1

10/29 1:05 pm St. Louis Rams (6-10) FOX

The greatest show on turf will be hard to pull off when the QB is on his *** as much as standing up; 31-17 : Chargers 6-1

11/5 1:15 pm Cleveland Browns (6-10) CBS

I think this team is going to show up a lot better than 6-10. This is going to be a street brawl of a game. This is the one I hope no one gets injured in. Still Cleveland is still growing together, they are one more year from contending: 24-17 : Chargers 7-1

11/12 10:00 am Cincinnati Bengals (11-5) CBS

Carson Palmer should be back and healthy by this time. Gonna be a real test for Rivers to pass against this very good secondary. I think this may be where we lose game 2: 13-28 : Chargers 7-2

11/19 1:15 pm Denver Broncos (13-3) CBS

This may be the only 2 game stretch that we lose this year. Gonna be hard to beat Denver @ home unless the Cutler\Plummer talk is brewing at the time. We lose on Elam's leg: 24-27 : Chargers 7-3

11/26 1:05 pm Oakland Raiders (4-12) CBS

Oakland in our house. Let this make 7 games in a row we have owned this team: 45-14 : Chargers 8-3

12/3 10:00 am Buffalo Bills (5-11) CBS

These guys are probably gonna be pissed off for the 48-10 crushing of them last year. I hope they don't think its gonna get any better with a trip to the West coast. I give them a marginally better chance to make this a game: 38-14 : Chargers 9-3

12/10 1:15 pm Denver Broncos (13-3) CBS

Payback time. My guess is this is the game that truly kicks off the Cutler for QB campaign in Denver. We are going to pound Denver at home this year. You heard it here first: 35-14 : Chargers 10-3

12/17 1:05 pm Kansas City Chiefs (10-6) CBS

Old KC is gonna be getting tired come week 15 and they are gonna be beat by a younger, tougher Chargers team: 31-10 : Chargers 11-3

12/24 1:15 pm Seattle Seahawks (13-3) CBS

Well, we've clinched a playoff spot and now is the choice, stay healthy and rest your guys (Play them 1/2 a game each) or push for home field advantage. I say screw staying healthy. Any of these guys could get hurt in 1/2 a game just as easy as a full game. Home Field advantage means a ton during the playoffs (Plus I want to go see 2 games at home!). this game may be big for Seattle who may be getting pushed for the NFC West title by Arizona (Yes Arizona) so in a tough game the Chargers just don't have enough desire to pull it off in the cold NW: 17-27 : Chargers 11-4

12/31 1:15 pm Arizona Cardinals (5-11) FOX

OK, we still have a chance at Home Field going 12-4 so we play our guys (Although only half a game because Schotty doesnt want to kill 2 QB's in the last game of the year, 2 years in a row) and Arizona is clawing for the NFC West Championship is going to play hard. We go into the playoffs healthy but without Home Field advantage: 24-31 : Charger 11-5

We beat Denver, Cincy, and Pitt in the playoffs and go on to punish a much weaker Washington team in the Superbowl!

MadMike

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
  5. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    11-5...
    In case you haven't read it...
    Summing up the AFC West
    by Clint Muhe (ME):tup:

The AFC West was the most highly touted division entering the 05’ season, and it appears the 06’ season will see many of the same predictions. As a division overflowing with talent, both Wild Card teams nearly came from West. The Chargers and Chiefs just barely missed the playoffs and the Broncos were equally close to the Super Bowl. Let’s take a look at each team which will lead us to the overall standings prediction for the much anticipated 2006 season.

Kansas City Chiefs: Win or go home. The Chiefs have the eldest starting squad in the West, that’s a nice way of saying that a rebuilding period is just around the corner. You can usually grade an offense by their “skill positions”, in other words: Green, Gonzalez, and Holmes. All three of these players are at the very least declining, and none will be easy to replace. The only exception will be Priest Holmes because of the unusually gifted back-up, turned starter, Larry Johnson. Gonzalez is in his final contract year, but it appears he’ll re-sign. Green is nearly as close to retirement as Holmes, so one or two more years looks like the prognosis. Defensively this team is all ready in a rebuilding phase. Probably the biggest loss of the season, which went virtually unnoticed, was that of fullback Tony Richardson who signed as a free agent with the Minnesota Vikings. In the same way that a good offensive line makes a good running back great, a good fullback makes them all look better. The Chiefs’ main strength over the past 5 years has been the O-line, but with the loss of T-Rich and an extremely veteran O-line there is a brewing rebuild on the horizon. If the Chiefs don’t win it all in the next two years they won’t have a shot till the mid teens’ of the 2000’s.

Oakland Raiders: Entering the 05’ season the Raiders were the talk of the town, in fact, the future 4 and 12 team was picked by many to win the AFC West. Randy Moss has not been what they expected, but this appears to be more a quarterback issue than anything else. With the 7th pick in the 2006 NFL draft the Oakland Raiders selected Michael Huff, the Safety out of Texas. There is no mistaking Huffs’ amazing talent, but seriously, pre-draft run up commentators would have scoffed had Matt Leinhart still been available and not selected by Oakland. The player who would have been almost certainly the first overall pick in the 05’ draft, had he entered it, was not worth the 7th overall in 06’? Only time will tell, but Oakland may be kicking themselves if the perennially dismal Cardinals finally make the playoffs under Leinhart. The Raiders aren’t out of the running in the AFC West, but a deep playoff run seems about as likely as Al Davis having a tea party with Pat Bowlen.

Denver Broncos: The Orange and Blue have been the only consistent squad as of late, kind of humorous considering they have relied on the formerly inconsistent Jake Plummer. It would have been a given that the Broncos would contend in 06’ had they used their first round pick on Santonio Holmes or a more prominent need. The Broncos did sign Javon Walker in a somewhat surprising trade on draft day, but he is coming back after knee surgery so his production is still to be proven. It appears Ashley Lelie will be moved in the next few months, so with an ageing Rod Smith the wide out position is very much in doubt. Since the Broncos clearly have their doubts about Plummer, shown by the selection of Jay Cutler with their 1st round pick, it seems that the Broncos may also be entering a rebuilding period. From the brink of a Super Bowl to rebuilding, can it be? The Broncos do have the talent necessary for success in the West, but if Plummer shows early inconsistency we may be watching a rookie QB take the reigns of a playoff contending team. The tremendous team they currently have is cemented by some of their players in the twilight of their career, namely Tom Nalen, Rod Smith, and John Lynch. Probably the three best players on the team have no more than three years left in their career. Similarly to the Chiefs, the Broncos need to win, if not now then not any time soon.

San Diego Chargers: Most people that watched the Chargers play last season, but hadn’t heard their record, would have certainly assumed they were watching a Super Bowl contender. The Chargers’ lost five games last season by a total of 14 points. The 9-7 Charger’s were essentially two touchdowns away from a 14-2 season. Obviously most seasons are decided by a few key plays, but the Chargers were an extreme example of this. With the loss of Drew Brees most people would assume the Chargers are going to have a harsh rebuilding phase. Although Rivers was drafted 4th overall he had the privilege of growing and learning from a pro-bowl caliber QB. Rivers’ opportunity to learn rather than play as a rookie will be the primary reason he is successful next season. Usually a team that uses the 4th overall pick will have no choice but to play their young talent, regardless of the damage it does to their confidence. Defensively the Chargers are probably the best San Diego has ever seen, no disrespect to Seau and Harrison, but if Antonio Cromartie can help with the improving Jammer-Florence tandem then the Chargers won’t have to rely on the offense putting up very many points. All this, and yet the biggest strength of the Chargers is yet to be mentioned. It could be argued that Tomlinson/Gates are the best one-two punch in all of football. The question this off-season has been will Rivers be able to handle it? The question ought to be: Will Rivers screw up bad enough to keep the Chargers out of the playoffs? He may, but with the young talent surrounding him he’ll be hard pressed to prove the naysayers right.

This will certainly get many AFC West fans up in arms but keep in mind, it’s just a prediction.

Final predictions:
    San Diego 11-5 (It’ll be a race between S.D. and Denver till the end)

Denver 11-5 (Plummer will retain his starting spot and the Broncos could easily win the division again)

Kansas City 8-8 (More than enough talent, but veteran injuries will take them out of the running)

Oakland 7-9 (If New Orleans didn’t want Brooks, what makes Oakland think he’s the answer? Until they cement the QB position don’t expect a winning season)

6. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I like 11-5......seems realistic.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Whole hog - 16-0 !!!

You heard it here first. :icon_beerbang:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    I think you've got the sun in your eyes :lol:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

10. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    RIP helped me with that Cromartie bubble avatar I had for a while........someone seriously needs to put that in place of AJ's head and give it to leisure.

Behold the mighty bubble! :lol:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would do this:

Someone needs to photoshop Cro's bubble to AJ's head in that PIC.

It would then be a love-hate thing with leisure :icon_mrgreen: :icon_eek:

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Some good posts in this thread and I'm hoping for 10-6 but it all rests on the shoulders of #17 IMO.

13. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    1. Big Jamal. I agree. He is the SINGLE most important player on this team. I don't care what the pundits and ball watchers say. Jamal makes the 3-4 work, and without him, SD is royally screwed. He must stay healthy, and he must have another year like 2005.

2. Look for Castillo to have a "breakout" year. He won't get big numbers in the sack department, but he'll be routinely beating his man. He will start to command some double teams, and that means max protect for opposing offenses who also must double Jamal. Igor needs to beat his man in single protection schemes, and Merriman will be the one to reap the most benefit from Castillo's improvement.

3. Safeties. They sucked last year. Jue played too tentative way too often, and Kiel seemed to have brain cramps (like that dumbass we cut a couple years ago - name escapes me, but he later played for Cincy). Hart is a decent backup, but was slow in recognizing his responsibilities, and I'm not that impressed with his wheels. I agree that McCree needs to step up and take command of this secondary.

Along the same notion, I also have concerns over our nickel and dime package. We can matchup nicely in the "jumbo nickel" (2 CB's - 3 safeties) against two TE formations. However, our regular nickel will set an untested Cromartie in the package. His responsibilies (like Merriman last year) must be limited to curb "rookie mistakes." Have him take the outside 9 (Go route) away, and force the WR into the teeth of an umbrella cover-2. I fear that lining him up over the slot WR will see some blown coverages just based on inexperience.

4. LB - Edwards lost a step last year. He was bad from the opening snap vs. the Cowturds. He didn't hurt his knee until week 7 or 8, so the injury excuse doesn't hold water. Listening to a Bill Parcells interview on Sirius describing the WILB position, I came away CONVINCED that AJ must dump Edwards, even if he has to cut him. The WILB in the 3-4 has the scheme designed for him to make plays - and to make IMPACT plays. INT's, tackles behind the LOS, forced fumbles. In the past, SD got good coverage and INT's from Edwards, but we didn't see that last year, and only ONE tackle for loss for the season (even Edwards two INT's were rebound/tips - impact plays made by a teammate - Edwards was the recipient of their play).

We must get better pass coverage in the middle of the defense behind Jamal. That includes both ILB's and both safeties.

5. OL - Goff is an average lunch pail pro. He is very replaceable. Hardwick worked his butt off this offseason, and I think we'll see good improvement in both his drive blocking and leverage on fighting off big bull rushing DT's. Diehlman has potential. From the MC photos, it looks like he also added some weight this offseason. I like his mobility, and I think he can develop into a solid pro - a player better that Mike Goff. I'd LOVE to see Olivea moved to right guard, but that's probably at least a year away. Olivea and Hardwick are our two best OL at getting to the second level AND finishing their blocks.

Left tackle is a complete crap shoot. Jordan is a backup - or a potential future right tackle. However, I still don't think Jordan is as bad as the general concensus on these boards. I rewatched some games, and some of the times he got beat it looked like some communication problems existed between him and the other OL. (That was another gripe of mine last year - OL comm between themselves, and between the OL and RB/TE for protection calls.) Jordan is better than a lot of 3rd OT's - take a look at the KC vs. Buffalo game from last year, when the Chiefs Roaf sat out. Buffalo's DL toasted the scrub starting for Roaf, but the next week, Jordan had a very good game against the same Bills players. Jordan tended to have his worst moments late in games. That means his conditioning was a problem. I hope he fixed that, if he is forced to start at LT again.

Oben? Who knows. I don't have a warm fuzzy that he'll be ready on 9/11 vs. Choketown.

McNeill? I didn't like him in college. OL Coach Jack Henry has a lot of work to do on this kid.

6. QB - Make enough plays to win. Don't turn the damn ball over.

I've babbled enough ........

Oh ..... 12-4. First round bye.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    *BUMP* There's some good stuff in this thread. :helm1:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am looking like the prophet alright. :helm1: