1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Whats the one player you hope we land?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by And_1, Feb 27, 2014.

1. And_1

And_1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    For the most part, after last year, I am incredibly confident with anything Telesco does in this years draft. With that said, I still find it a joy to spend an hour or so on the internet whenever I have time to kill and see what player I can guess will be a successful rookie. I guess the player I hope we land would be Marcus Roberson of Florida since I feel that even though he didn't show much at the combine, he can easily be one of those players that prepares for the season with a chip on his shoulder.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    Lamarcus Joyner for me.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,694
    Based on need alone....it'd be Luis Nix, there are so few game ready NT's in this draft an in FA, and our D-line was so poor for most of last season if he fell to 25 that I'd be stunned if we didn't take him.

But the player I like the most is probably Jason Verrett, technically sound (near perfect), willing to play through bumps and bruises, and more athletic than people realized before the combine.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +835
    Im going to cheat, there are 1a 1b and 1c players I have pegged

1st round

Nix, Verrett, and Im kind of growing partial to Ealy

I would be happy with any of them.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    There's too many to hope for one.

6. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    All else being equal, I am partial to taking a CB round 1 (barring a FA move). That said, my favorite player in this draft is Brandin Cooks. I love him to an extent that I wouldn't blame anyone for calling it strange.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Really starting to think Lamarcus Joyner could be the next Tyrann Mathieu.

8. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    If I'm being realistic I'd say Louis Nix because I feel that's a good player, fits a need and gives good value if he's available at 25. I do like Roberson as someone said above, but I have a hard time deciding his value in terms of where I'd be happy to pick him at (2nd or 3r round).

If I can go for a late round bonus pick, I've always liked Vinnie Sunseri from Alabama. Not the most athletic, but always seems to be in the right place, textbook tackler, pretty smart, and be a late round / UDFA steal in my opinion. Also helps that I like Bama...

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    There will be a good amount of UDFA steals in my mind. Hope Telesco can make a few.

Guys like Ladarius Perkins, Beau Allen, Chris Boyd, Blake Treadwell are a few I'm looking at, also John Urschel, he can be a dominant center in this league.

10. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    Jordan matthews no earlier than the second imo

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I've got two guys I'm really partial to - neither in the 1st round, but still...

Joel Bitonio - OL (guy can literally play all across the OL, but he's got top-tier potential as an interior lineman and even some potential as a center, from what I hear) - Nevada ... for those looking for something to take out of the combine, short-shuttle is the single most important drill the OL run in terms of predicting future success (it's not 100% accurate, but has the highest accuracy as a predictor).

Kevin Norwood - WR - Alabama ... 3rd or 4th round prospect, even in this deep class but the guy is getting seriously underrated. I've got him in my Top 10 receivers for this class, possessing the "ability to get open" skills necessary to be a #1, and can be had at a far lesser premium than more-hyped guys like Moncrief, Benjamin, Bryant, and Matthews who are all likely 2nd round/early 3rd round grabs.

12. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    I love the way the kid plays. I mean yes he is limited in what he can play at the next level due to his size, but the kid brings the wood, has a good head on his shoulders and is a great return man.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    What round do you think Bitonio goes in? You brought him up before the combine and I watched some tape, and I loved what I saw for the most part. And he blew up the combine. 2nd-3rd round for me I'd take him.

And Norwood reminds me of Harry Douglas for some reason, who exploded this past season.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    He's one of those guys who is really tough to predict because it all depends on where each individual team intends to play him. I'd say the absolute best we could expect would be to get him at the bottom of the 2nd because I'd all but guarantee he's not there when our 3rd rolls around. I could see a team fancying him as highly as the late 1st though and could see him as value anywhere in the 2nd.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    I've never seen him play but I've heard good things about CB Pierre Desir in the latter rounds

16. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Roosevelt Nix

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Unless teams get really down on him for his 40-time and the fact that he'll be an advanced-age rookie, I can't see the guy falling past Day 2.

People get too wrapped up on the whole small school/level of competition bit, which is a case for concern at certain positions - corner isn't one of them. If a guy shows an ability to cover well due to plus hip fluidity, transitional speed, instincts, and football IQ, unless he's quite literally slow as molasses, he can cover at any level - it may be a case of scheming having to work to find a role for the guy if he is slow as molasses (and speed on tape is much more important than straight line speed on a track), but those traits allow guys to cover period.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
  19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    If Bitonio can make the move to center I see his value maximized there. I think his particular skillset is maximized as a center.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,694
    As far as the 1st round goes.

The guys I'd be ecstatic with: Verrett, Nix, or Ford (yes I have come around).

The guys I'd be okay with but not stoked about: Su'a-Filo, Roby, Fuller.

The guys I'd be unhappy with: Van Noy, Hageman, Benjamin

The wildcards: Cooks, Moses, Jernigan....I like all 3 players a lot, but for one reason or another it would shock me to see us actually pull the trigger on one.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    This are guys I'm hoping we land rounds 1-4,

round 1 - Kyle Fuller, Jason Verrett, Odell Beckham Jr.
    round 2 - Kyle Van Noy, Joel Bitonio, Jeremiah Attaochu, Brandon Thomas, Pierre Desir, Donte Moncrief
    round 3 - Demarcus Lawrence, Robert Herron, Chris Smith
    round 4 - Victor Hampton, Josh Huff, Aaron Lynch, Cam Fleming, TJ Jones

Probably missing a few names..

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,694
    Maybe I'm a bad person for thinking it, and I'm sorry to whomever I offend, but it might annoy me we went out of our way to select another Mormon high in the draft like he did last year with Te'o, trading up unnecessarily to select him. And then also selecting Sorenson later on.

I say this because I'm pretty sure Mike McCoy is Mormon. Not that they are bad, most of them are the nicest people you'll ever meet, I know a ton of Mormons, my boss is a Mormon, more than a handful of my coworkers are (all of which my boss hired personally). That said, knowing their culture like I do, I know that they do tend to favor their own....and a lot of them are a tad socially awkward and naïve in a sheltered way (like Manti Te'o).

The point is, If we go out of our way to take Van Noy in the 1st round, or trade up for him in the 2nd, I'm going to start getting suspicious.

23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    this class is loaded at slot WR, wouldn't want to blow my load on Beckham Jr. who is a better athlete than a football player and being too finesse like he is combined with poor natural feel for the position does not equal quality pro. i don't know what people are expecting with him... desean jackson? not even close. Beckham will be a bust guaranteed if he's drafted round 1.

other than that mtl approves of your round 1 cluster

the thing with fuller and verrett is that with verrett you are getting a guy ready to come in and make an impact day 1 but lots of concerns with his size how his body is going to hold up after his rookie deal is over. is any team going to really look at him at 27 or 28 with heavy wear on his body and want to offer him a long term multimillion extension?

while he is not as sticky, fuller is 3/4 a year younger than verrett, has a great body and size and has all the potential in the world but his coverage ability isn't as tight as verrett but very well could become so with some growth... definitely has a higher ceiling. fuller's hands are much better than verrett's and even though verrett caught a number of interceptions he actually doesn't have good hands.

24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    didn't you read my post? i told you already, spanos joined LDS and we are going hard after mormon players. the hope is to have a full roster of em and then use divine inspiration to change the culture and motivate the players on gameday. norv and aj used the power of christ to blind dean until he let eric weddle cuckold his wife and became a believer and erected a bronze statue of joseph smith in his office at charger park.

the rest is history.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Took some searching to find out, but McCoy's not a Mormon (found an article back from the 90's when he was the QB at Utah). Pretty sure he's Catholic.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,694
    Okay, I had a conversation with some Donk fans last year, they said he was Mormon, he did go to Utah, figured they knew more than I did.

Whhheeeew.:roflmao:

Now Scientology, that's where I draw the line.

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I agree on pretty much everything except ODB (Beckham Jr). In this offense he'd be a perfect compliment to a WR1 like Keenan Allen. He's not going to get vertical with his speed, but he's a going to get YAC, create separation (watch his TCU matchup with Verrett, who blankets WRs), and has amazing hands to pluck the ball.

He's a playmaker. He knows what to do in the open field and he turns his body to get upfield unlike some prospects in this draft who want to run east to west. Underrated leaping ability to go up and catch the ball at its highest point. He had MEHttenberger throwing him the ball. Lot of missed throws.

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    He went to Utah. He's from Marin County, CA (same place Steven Spielberg's from); if anything that's Ant's people's territory - or really just rich people territory (San Rafael, Marin, Novato, Petaluma).

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    So... you're saying no to Adam Muema?

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,694
    After Watkins, Evans, and Lee there is no other WR I'd spend a 1st round pick on in this draft. It's just too deep of a position this year, I'd rather wait and take Moncrief, Richardson, Adams, Matthews, Huff, or maybe Bryant on day 2.