1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Whats up with L.T

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by megold0715, Dec 18, 2006.

1. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2006
    whats up guys anybody know whats up with L.T someone on the trolly back towards my car said he had broke his jaw is that true?
  2. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Sep 2, 2006
  3. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2006
  4. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Health is one reason why L.T. is having jaw-dropping season

By Bernie Wilson

4:16 p.m. December 18, 2006

SAN DIEGO – LaDainian Tomlinson said his jaw is fine. So is the rest of the running back's body, which is why he's having, well, such a jaw-dropping season. Tomlinson got popped on the side of the face late in the Chargers' 20-9 win over the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday night. By that time, Tomlinson had set even more records and the streaking Chargers were that much closer to securing home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs.

Tomlinson reported no serious damage after having X-rays on his left temporomandibular joint (TMJ), which connects the jaw to the skull. “It's nothing that's significant,” Tomlinson said Monday, the day after he had another sensational game, this one highlighted by an 85-yard scoring run, the longest of his six-year career. He ran for a season-best 199 yards and two more touchdowns.
    Tomlinson, the front-runner for NFL MVP, said this isn't his first encounter with TMJ pain.
    “I've dealt with it before. And I'm going to continue to play,” he said. “I wouldn't make a big deal about it.”
    While first-year starting quarterback Philip Rivers hit a speed bump with a sub-par performance against the Chiefs, Tomlinson has yet to be knocked off stride in leading the AFC West champion Chargers (12-2) on an eight-game winning streak. The Chargers tied franchise records for wins in a season, last accomplished with a 12-4 mark in 2004, and for their winning streak.
    With 31 touchdowns and 186 points – both NFL single-season records – as well as 1,626 yards, Tomlinson is showing how critical it is to avoid major injuries.
    Late last season he was bothered by a rib injury and went four straight games without a touchdown or 100-yard game.
    Two seasons ago, he had a groin injury and went five straight games without cracking 100 yards.
    Those streaks were so un-L.T., compared to this year.
    Running behind fullback Lorenzo Neal and a line that coach Marty Schottenheimer calls “snarly,” Tomlinson has extended his streak of 100-yard games to eight. His eight consecutive multi-touchdown games gave him sole possession of the record he had shared with John Riggins.
    “I feel strong and I don't feel like I've played 14 games, to be honest with you,” Tomlinson said.
    “Only the last couple of years have there been the little injuries. The previous three seasons before that, it was the same. I didn't have a real significant injury. So it's about like it was my first three years.”
    Tomlinson is closing in on his career-best of 1,683 yards set in 2002, his second season.
    Along with Tomlinson's vision, quickness and instincts is this:
    “I'll tell you one thing that was apparent in that 85-yard run – he's still fresh,” Schottenheimer said.
    Tomlinson slowed up just a bit to let wide receiver Vincent Jackson block safety Greg Wesley, “then off he went,” Schottenheimer said. “He's fresh and obviously playing at a very, very high level.”
    With 186 points, Tomlinson broke Paul Hornung's 46-year-old NFL season record of 176, set with the Green Bay Packers in 1960. Hornung was a kicker as well as a halfback for Green Bay.
    “It stood for 40 something years. It's mind-boggling to me that this year it happens and the record falls,” Tomlinson said. “Records are meant to be broken, but some records seem like they're untouchable. to me, out of all of them, that's a tremendous accomplishment, not only for me, but the guys on the offensive unit.”
    Tomlinson said this season has made him realize that it's more important to pile up points than, say, shoot for goals such as 2,000 yards.
    “You need touchdowns to win games,” he said. “At first, I always thought that yards are good. I always thought, teams don't want to give up yards. Teams don't want to give up touchdowns, either.
    “Somebody made me think about that, just talking to a buddy, and I sat back and thought about it and said, 'You know, he's right.' Touchdowns, you've got to score points to win games. So I think touchdowns are always more important.”
    While Tomlinson showed his importance to the Chargers, Rivers had his worst performance of the season. He completed only 8 of 23 passes for 97 yards, two interceptions and no touchdowns.
    A week earlier, Rivers had one of his better games, throwing for 279 yards and two touchdowns in a win against Denver.
    “I'm not concerned about it, at this point,” Schottenheimer said.
    “Anytime you work at developing a young quarterback, you will see this happens. I don't care who it is, whether it's Bernie Kosar, whether it's Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, they all go through it. He's such a competitive individual, he wants to be perfect all the time. this is not a game of perfection.”
    Rivers said he was plagued by “a bunch of silly stuff.” He knows he can't play like that every week and hope to win.
    “It was one of those games where we could have run it every down,” he said. “They obviously couldn't stop the run. And the passing game, we tried to get it going and we didn't. Hey, you know what, I'll learn from it. It ain't a great feeling when you play that way, even when you win.”