1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with the D at the end of games?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the streak we're on and fully expect it to continue, but this has been bothering me (and others) for the last few weeks.

Why are we sitting in prevent and just letting teams march right down the field and score td's at the end of games?

:icon_shrug:

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    You know, that's what's great about football...

You play to win the game!

3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Agree completely. It kills me to watch.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This one set up perfectly for that kind of D. I think it was even more humiliating for them to have to kick an onside knowing that even if they recover... they'd be out of time.

It was priceless seeing the look on Romo's face after that last TD... NO HOPE.

I would like to see them tighten it up and I think Cason blew the coverage on that final pass. Rivera was piissed.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They were not playing Prevent Defense per say. Prevent has a higher number of defensive backs. They were lining up to take away the sidelines (thus clock stoppages) and deep balls.

To be frank, while frustrating, it did work. Dallas had to chew almost all the time off the clock to get their late TD.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    totally agree. And while it was frustrating, I understood the plan.

On a side note though,

I'm very concerned about our run defense.

We need to get the time of possession back on our side. To many long drives the last few weeks.

:bolt:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    While maddening at times, I am not too concerned with the Run D. It did give up some plays but equally shut down the run at times, making frequent stops behind the LOS.

Right now, I feel our D can hang with any team, and goregoing a momentary lapse or breakdown, keep the game in order for the O to win it...

But then again, I probably just have my Homervision glasses on again. :lol:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    though now against two straight teams, they have managed to score late so that we needed to recover an onside kick to ensure a win. that does concern me somewhat

9. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    X 2 :tup:

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    mine are starting to come into focus as well!! :lol:

:tup:

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, but you are concerned if the opposition scores at all... :icon_tease:

12. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I totally agree i was at the Cleveland Clowns game and it was sick to watch at end- almost like our def just gave up- also though i think our off needs to run the ball more consistently throughout the game to get more 1st downs and chew up more clock not just for a few stretches here and there to take some of the pressure off of our def to not have em on the field so much.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I didn't have much of a problem with the way this one ended. For most part, they needed two scores and it wasn't too likely that was going to happen. But I did have a problem with the way the Eagles and Browns game ended.

If we play the Colts or Bengals like that... we'll get burned!

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    This.

The defense at the end of the Cleveland game bothered me.

The Dallas game not quite as much.

Yeah, it would have been nice had they not given up the TD, but the way they played forced them to run time down which lead to having 2 seconds to try and pull off an onside and another play.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Garbage time ball keeps guy's healthy and out of harms way for the most part. Dallas was the team going all out, the Bolt's were just shadowing their man and keeping everything in front of them.

On some of the Boy's reception's they would have been exposed to taking some serious hit's and our guy's have been delivering those blows.

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well you want to prevent the big play, protect the sidelines and make Dallas chew up all the clock. The defense did that. Obviously that will leave a little more room to work with as far as moving the ball, but the Chargers were willing to concede that.

17. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Up by 10, past the 2 minute mark, Dallas had no timeouts left (thanks to Norv), why not go to prevent when playing Tony Romo? He's not going to run down the field, score a TD, and leave enough time on the clock to do anything even if he does.

18. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I said the same thing about the Cleveland game, and everyone dismissed it because it was our backups in for that 4th quarter at times. Come on it's Cleveland, we made Brady Quinn look like a Pro Bowl QB people. The Philly game came down to the last play, and even the Home game against Oakland cam down to the last play to an extent.

1st string, 2nd string whatever, it is getting old. 2 seconds left and we let Dallas get a TD pass??? After marching down the field with ZERO timeouts??? I guess they feel like the games in the bag, perhaps they will make the stop when it really counts.

P. Manning or Brady, or dare I say Orton and the Donks will not let up against us if they are down against us in the 4th quarter.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    10-3

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I was just stating the facts relating to the thread title.

I didn't start the thread....That being said, I do think they will step it up when the final drive determines the immediate outcome.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    And I was just razzing you because I was going with the "9-3" in response to the complaints last week in which you were referencing. :lol: