1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's Wrong AJ???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SD Native WY, Oct 19, 2008.

1. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Ok this is it...... I am a Charger lover and I was never a Norv lover. Marty was one thing but I think that the decision to fire Marty and hire Norv was a mistake. Many times it takes many years for a team to reach the Superbowl. Marty and the team were encumbered by injuries and that was a big reason for the inability of the Chargers to reach the Superbowl.

My thoughts on this have nothing to do with anyone's opinion but my own. I have seen coach Turner & company struggle in their first season and drive the team into a downward struggle in the second season with talent and depth on a team that should be playing at a much higher level than they are.

My opinion is not that it is about all coaching mistakes but it begins with coaching and ends with execution and the players.

When a team with the talent of the Chargers cannot get it done there is something wrong and it starts at the top. The job of the coaching staff is to design plays that excentuate the players that you have at hand. Marty last year was able to do that until it reached a point of no return.

What is wrong with the MGNT that they are unable to see the weaknesses of this team and intervene.

This is my opinion !!!!!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:GO CHARGERS :bolt::bolt::bolt:

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Very well said!!!

My opinion... AJ wanted Marty fired from the start because Marty was not a coach that he could push around and tell him how to do his job.

It was no secret that AJ and Marty had a rocky relationship and I think it was all AJ!!! Like I said "I think AJ is a power hungry, egotistical, a**hole."

Now AJ is THE BEST at the NFL Draft!!! I love what he does there, just wish he'd stay there. I think when he saw how great the Eli/Rivers thing worked out, be became drunk with power and just building the team wasn't enough for him anymore.

Firing Marty was a knee jerk reaction.
    How often does a coach that did nothing but win get an offer for a one year extension to his contract?
    I think Marty rejected it to see how the 2007 season worked out and take it from there. That's when AJ jumped up and down and screamed Spanos into submission to fire Marty now.

I think there is a reason why a team of this caliber didn't have coaches busting down the door after Marty was fired.
    A lot of fans here wanted Rex Ryan. The reason AJ didn't hire him is because he wouldn't stand for being pushed around and the GM hiring his assistant coaches for him... and AJ knew it!!!

Norv on the other hand would still be an assistant coach if we didn't pick him up and that was perfect for AJ!!!
    "Norv, this will be your DC."
    "Norv, call this play."
    "Norv, bench that guy."
    "Norv, keep that guy playing on an injury."
    Norv has no choice but to take AJ's orders. If he speaks back to him, he'll go back to being an assistant else where!!!

They don't get better than AJ when it comes to building a team but he needs to leave the Head Coach alone and let him do his job.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Leave Cottrell in Buffalo. I don't care what you do with Norv. :icon_sad:

As for AJ's prowess in the draft, we'll see how much of it was AJ & how much was Nix. :unsure:

5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    this was a game that the personnel had a chance to win.
    why try to jam a ball into coverage in the red zone, late in the game? maybe rivers thought he had to. the defense forced 3 or 4 incompletions all game, if that. imo the run defense wasnt too bad (the secondary might need to work on gaps and tackling). lynch and the bills line were staying strong at the end of the game.

why not give oliver more snaps? special teams and a few dime packs are not enough for this guy. i think hes a star in the making and imo hes got more potential than both starting safeties. not too much experience, but isnt that why you throw them in there?

:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Maybe we aren't that good.

I know I was damn pissed off when Norv didn't go for it on 4th & 1 late in the 4th qtr.

Don't we have the highest scoring offense in the league.

and one more thing,

Somebody please tell me WHY 7 weeks into the season when everyone in the free world knows we are going to run up the middle or off a tackle, DO WE CONTINUE TO DO IT!!!???

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

7. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I was in LA and didn't get to see the game. But after chekcing the box scores and readign the online stuff- it sure seems like we can't run the ball for Sh!t anymore. If LT ain't geting it done because of his toe then we need to give the ball to someone who can... Sproles, Hester, Tolbert, your fat granny... someone who can get some positive yards when they carry the ball. You get the picture.

Norv always feels like he always has to throw the ball - were those three late game Rivers turn overs when he was trying to pass the ball instead of handing it off for a run?

How about the HB pass that LT throws... anyone think of that on first and goal from the nine? Where is that creative offense that Cam used to run? I used to love it when we acutually fooled the other teams defense and made it look easy... Gawd I miss those days.

BTW- any chance of burying fat butt Cottrell in a Buffalo ant farm and covering him with honey? We have got to quit with the jekyll and hyde defense he's been running. Which one is it going to be... soft and easy to score on, or tough and unbeatable (like against the Pats) ?

8. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    D wasnt too bad? Edwards was 25-30 LOL, playing our great teddy zone D

9. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    This forum is so depressing to read sometimes. I can't comment on many of the plays, since I didn't actually get a chance to see many of the plays, but judging by the stats our defense didn't have a stellar day.

I don't know what is going on but I am becoming more and more convinced that we are just an average football team. Average players, average coaches. I'm ok with us just being average, but let's call it what it is.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Because that's all LT can do right now (due to the toe injury). Sproles needs to get the ball more often and then there's that Hester guy that we gave up a #2 draft pick for but never gets the ball.

No... LT is NOT done but he won't be back to 100% till next season.

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    He's a rookie. If it's a couple years from now and he's still not getting the ball, then maybe you have a point.

12. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    The players need to have a little fear while the season is being played. They seem too confortable with the way things are. How about cutting some dead weight(d smith)? and shaking up some sh&t. This season is still young enough for playoff hopes. Its just something I dont like this year I cant say what though.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    With a donkos loss, we'll only be one game behind but we still need to start winning.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    AJ didn't fire Marty and he didn't hire Norv

That was Dean Sapnos' move

AJ is not the problem.

16. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    I think the problems with the Chargers coaching staff is the same as what was said on the pregame show tonight about Dallas and their coaching staff.

What was said is that Phillips doesn't know what to do with the talent he has and can't control his his high profile players or contain them or inspire them. The post game comments and thrashing they got were by the Cowboys owner.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We're been over this a trillion times.
    Yes, only Dean can hire or fire someone BUT it is done with AJ's approval.

AJ wanted Marty gone from the start and he wasn't exactly silent about it.
    AJ selected Norv for the job then Dean hired him.

AJ does the selecting, Dean just adds or subtracts from the pay roll.

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    And Marty wanted AJ gone. What's your point?

They couldn't get along, Dean chose AJ.

Your argument with Norv probably holds water, as I'm sure Dean took AJ's choices into consideration after choosing to go with AJ, but the initial firing of Marty is all on Dean and Dean alone.

He could have just as easily fired AJ and kept Marty.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Well yeah. Especially with all the experience Marty has, he refused to be anybody's puppet. We'll never know what exactly happened but I have no problem believing that AJ drew first blood.

In a situation like this, 9 out of 10 times, it's going to be the Head Coach to get the pink slip as opposed to the GM. Like if the president and vice president of a big corporate company are not getting along, who is (most likely) going to get the pink slip?

AJ could have been the bigger man, took the hatchet out of Marty's back, and let him do his job.

BOTTOM LINE... AJ wants someone he can order around and control. The evidence is visual!!! :yes:

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Here we go again.

21. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    You both need to leave the subject alone .......agree to disagree but cut out the personal shots:icon_huh:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I wasn't talking to you.
    Stop following.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :rolleyes:

Not everything is about you jerky.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There isn't any percentage in parsing whether Spanos or AJ was the primer moving in the coaching situation. The owner and the general manager are nearly always going to be on the same page, or the general manager is going to be gone, so it comes down to a joint decision to dump Marty and hire Norval. One thing, though, I have run out of patience with Cottrell. My computer and cable bailed on me right after the game started so I missed just about all of it, but it appears to me there were some piss poor coaching decisions made and one disastrous decision by Rivers. The need to sit LT until he heals, he obviously can't be effective enough with that toe. Sproles, Hester and Tolbert have to step up for a few games. The Chargers don't deal well with injured players. Merriman is the prime example of indecision breeding problems. The same thing might easily have at play with Parker. It was at play early in the season with Jamal not being ready for the first three games. It's at play now with LT. 80%, 75% or 70% of any player, no matter who they are, is not enough.

25. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Thanks for this answer.:icon_toast:

26. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i love the we should have kept marty people so we could have just lost vs Tenn in that first round last year lol

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That would have been the right thing to do. And unless he wins the Super Bowl, let him walk and see who is available in 2008.
    Much better than having the knee jerk reaction and digging through the trash for something available. That's exactly what AJ did!!! :yes:

You can't prove that we would have lost the first round with him. Same way it can't be proven we would have gone further with him.
    All you Norvys ever say regarding Marty is "history says... history says."
    Well history also says "Norv is absolutely horrible." So where's you defense there?

One thing for sure... had we kept Marty, we'd be in a much better situation now.
    We would have had plenty of coaches to choose from. Possibly even an elite coach.
    We'd have a lot less injuries too.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bullshit. I'm not protecting Norv - he's not my choice, either. But you throw these statements around like facts & they aren't, they're only opinions.

This constant Norv-trashing isn't getting anyone anywhere. You're wasting energy that could be put to a much better use - TRASHING FAT TEDDY!!!!!!!! :tup: :icon_tease: :icon_banana:

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If a guy takes a hart hit and gets injured, that's part of the game. Though sometimes injuries are due to poor training.

And I don't like Teddy either.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    You're knocking on hardwood dude, bring a hammer to it.