1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    On a conference call earlier this week, I asked NBC analysts John Madden and Tiki Barber their opinion of what's happening with the Chargers. Rather than try to sum up what they said, I'll just post the full transcript ... a pretty interesting debate, I thought:
    Tiki: I think the biggest thing, and this only happened to me once, is the change of coaching staff. You don't know what to expect from that guy. He could come in and he could say the right things and you could say the right things back to him, but until you've gone through a year of experience or however long an arbitrary term of experience with the new staff, it's an adjustment. You don't know your own expectations. I remember when I was playing and Coach Coughlin came in, I knew my expectations right away, and I think that's why I excelled immediately. But a lot of guys didn't. There was bickering and uncertainty and not a lot of good feeling, because there was that unfamiliarity. And then as it got better, the team started playing better, and I think that's what San Diego is going through right now, it's an adjustment period, like the first year of marriage.
    John: And they're really pressing too. Philip Rivers isn't the same guy. He's not the same guy and he's not playing with a lot of confidence and the offensive line is not as aggressive as they were, so they're just not the same team. I saw them last year when they were 14-2 and they kind of have the same players, but those same players aren't playing at the same level they did. Now, it's easy to blame the coaching and the adjustments, but in today's NFL you have to adjust quickly. And for everything that becomes a negative on adjusting to coaches in San Diego, then you look and you say well if that's true, how about the Dallas Cowboys? Why do they have the best record, or tied for the best record, in the NFC? They went through the same thing; they went through the same adjustments. But they did it well, they did it better, they did it quickly, and the players are playing at a higher level than they did the year before.
    Tiki: But John, the difference I would say, and it's a minor difference, it may not be significant, is that the Dallas Cowboys, or at least the players, were not upset the Bill Parcells left. The San Diego Chargers, who I know a lot of those guys loved Marty, weren't so accepting of the new guy.
    John: Yeah, but how long does it take to get over it?
    Tiki: You don't know, it's an arbitrary time.
    John: But they are still players, Tiki.
    Tiki: Of course they are.
    John: The players still aren't playing. They can walk around and say they miss their coach, and maybe that's true, they can. And maybe they also miss Wade Phillips, maybe they also miss Cam Cameron, other coaches. At some point, you have to get over it and you have to be a player and you have to play at a level higher than the level you played at a year ago. And in my mind, those players aren't playing at a higher level, they're playing at a lower level.
    Tiki: Well let's be honest about the players then.
    John: That's what I'm saying.
    Tiki: That's what I'm saying as well. What does it take to get 53 guys, 53 individual guys, to be on the same page? It takes a certain level of motivation. If you're tuning someone out, meaning the guy who is trying to motivate you, because let's be honest about it, a lot of guys aren't self-motivated. They are just going through the motions, some of them are happy just to be there. If you're not listening to the guy who is trying to motivate you, who is motivating you? A lot of guys don't have the personal pride to try and be the greatest player.
    John: Yeah, but you get those players. I mean, LaDainian Tomlinson was the best player in football last year, he doesn't need a lot of motivation. Philip Rivers, I don't think Philip Rivers is a motivation problem, I think it's a pressing problem.
    Tiki: He doesn't, but his offensive line does. I don't care how great a running back is. Emmitt Smith, any of those guys, I guarantee you every single one of them gives credit to the squad of guys up front, because that's what makes all the difference. It's not necessarily the guy you're looking at. We tend to focus on the star all the time.
    John: No, I said the offensive line. That's the first thing I said. The offensive line last year was a very aggressive group, this year they're not.
    Tiki: Exactly, so you can't point to LaDainian and he's not motivated, because it doesn't matter how motivated he is. What matters is how motivated are the guys who are blocking for him, or the receivers downfield who aren't getting any balls so now they don't care.
    John: But they get paid to be motivated.
    Tiki: But John, that's not a good enough reason. You think Pacman Jones getting 20 million, or whatever it is, motivated him enough not to get in trouble off the field? Sometimes money is not the motivator. It honestly is not.
    John: No, I didn't mean money. I meant pro. That's what being a pro is all about.

Tiki: A lot of guys don't know what it takes to be a pro.

by Jay Posner
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
    Thanks for posting that. I agree 10000% with Tiki, without Marty around to hold their hand and blow them before every game, many of these guys are just lost out there, and it's showing big time.

IMO, and I know Trumpy has said it as well, it all starts on the lines, in the trenches. The o and d lines are not doing what they did last year. The O was DOMINATING opposing defenses front 7's and even 8's, that's why LT had the record year he had. Last year the D line was getting tons of pressure right up the gut, freeing the guys coming of the edges to pwn QB's all season.

Norv is just not the kind of guy to get in there and give the team a "Win one for the Gipper" speech, and without that, these guys are playing like a bunch of 3rd graders on substitute day.
  3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Mar 10, 2007
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Wow. Every time I read or hear something about the motivational aspect of the game, I think back to resigning myself to drinking the Turner/Cottrell kool-aid & convincing myself that the players could self-motivate. Apparently I was wrong.

Tiki, IMO, hit the nail on the head. We've got guys who are floundering & there's no one there to help get them back on track. I don't know what happens in the locker room, but it seems to me that there needs to be a team meeting where all of the misgivings, confusion, expectations, etc. are aired out, once & for all.
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2006
    They're not winning
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Leo, you have a keen sense of the obvious!!! :icon_tease:

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006

That was also Riley's way of coaching. :icon_evil:
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    Motivating 53 days takes discipline. It begins and ends with the fact that Norval hasn't maintained that discipline. Lombardi's style isn't the only way to win. Montgomery and Patton were worlds apart, and at each other's throats, but they both got results because their troops had discipline. The Chargers don't. They make too many stupid mistakes and blow too many assignments. Norval's major lapse is simply not keeping guys in line.
  9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Oct 3, 2006
    Thank you for posting that talk between Madden and Barber.
    As pros the players have to come through those changes.
    But as human beings psychology always finds it ways.

after going 14-3 the exspectations were really high.
    And after going 1-3 the team just lost confidence.
    We can only hope the whole staff can fix the problems
    and play strong the final weeks.