1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with Merriman?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MtlBoltsFan, Nov 11, 2007.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Why did Merriman get owned by a third string tackle last night? Why has he not been nearly as effective as he was as a rookie? Why has he put up 0's on the stat sheet in a couple of games this year when he is actually getting his 1 on 1 opportunities? Why was Merriman able to bullrush 320 pound offensive linemen as a rookie and now such a thing is unfathomable? Somebody enlighten me.

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Good question as i tend to agree .........however...his pressure DID help lead to two INT's.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Part scheme, part steroids.

4. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    It's very simple...a lack of steroids.
    Without them he's not nearly the player he was...he's had very little real impact on any game this year.
    Without the 'riods he's a little better than average...sure no Seau is he???

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    My fellow Bolt brother said the same thing. Merriman shouldn't get pushed around by a 3rd string rookie. Man, time to get on the "clear" or HGH Shawne. He doesn't play the same without it! :icon_eek:

6. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Nope. Not as many offsides calls against him.

7. DenverBolt

DenverBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    He did get an interception. However, I think it's partly the defensive schemes. Blame that on Cottrell. In fact, Phillips hasn't been that good either, even though he's been hurt. I've also read somewhere that officials aren't calling as many offense holding penalties this year (I don't know if this is intentional or just statistical), I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Part Scheme Part "Merriman was injured all off-season and couldn't do much working out/training"

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Merriman sucks. MTL says so, so it must be true.

Let's trade him for Reggie White's corpse.

10. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    :icon_rofl: Actually, not as many anythings...instead of "lights out", it's more like "turn out the lights", his party's over.
    I'll take Jr in his prime over Merriman's play of this year any day.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Hanestly guys I think it's steroids but if anyone has any other ideas or explanations I would like to hear definitely. It just pisses me off we see this incredible and dominant rookie rush linebacker who is destroying offensive tackles and these days he is the one getting pushed around. Bullrushing was a huge part of his game and he just seemed to play with a lot more strength back then. Yes, nobody schemed around him then but even when he is getting his opportunities 1 on 1 it seems he isn't getting much done. A couple of pressures here and there but most of the time he is being contained. Also, in the press conference this past week he says that the play against Minnesota was unacceptable and that he almost puked watching it and vowed to play with ferocity yet he really didn't have that great a game. Yeah he forced Manning to throw the ball away once and provided pressure a couple of times and made a couple of tackles but where is the Merriman we all thought had the potential to be one of the most dominant players in NFL history? The one who didn't just pressure the QB here and there but who routinely got to the QB and was an extremely disruptive force.

12. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Wonderful. And I'll take Wes Chandler in his prime over Vincent Jackson any day. Woohoo.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Well i do not agree with that. He was popped in preseason and roids wear off quickly so i doubt he was juiced during the season. How do you explain his 8.5 sacks after he came back from suspension? You arent going to tell me he was juiced for those are you?

Part scheme imo and part DC's have figured ways to get help on him. He didnt get any sacks tonnight but had some pressures that helped lead to INT's ............but i would like to see him dominate again.

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    In case everyone hasn't noticed, the entire team has underachieved this year, with the exception of CROMARTIE, SPROLES on special teams, and GATES. As ineffective as LT has played, he's still in the top 3 in the AFC this year among RB's with his stats.

I honestly don't think MERRIMAN is totally 100% healthy IMO.

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    He doesn't suck he is just all hype. He's a good player, not an amazing one. What he did on the field the last two years you felt he would be legendary and there is a clear dropoff from that level of play IMO.

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We'll be able to sign him for less money, AJ needs to get working on it before he breaks out.

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

I thought you put me on ignore? That must have been the quickest "ignore sentencing" ever served.

:icon_rofl:

Actually, MTL, even though my posts seem like I'm telling you to phucq off, I actually do respect a lot of your takes and you are right more often than not. You have me beat hands down when it comes to the gambling stuff. Although, I do get frustrated whenever a forum becomes inundated with hundreds or thousands of posts, all of which are complaints and the same ones we've all heard for months. I tend to take it out on whomever is closest and the most recent one, and that was you tonight. My posts about BC and Ryan were part of that.

It could have just as easily been one of the others, it's just your threads and posts were the first ones I saw when I logged on and I responded. I'm now more about responding to the negativity in general, rather than particular posters.

So, I'll be OK tomorrow (which it will be in about 10 minutes), and won't be slamming you anymore. Feel free to take some shots at me to balance it out. I won't complain.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mizzouchargerfan

mizzouchargerfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13

that wasn't even funny man:icon_sad:

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Merriman did have shoulder surgery in the offseason, and I think that greatly limited his workout regimen. He's just not as strong as he was last year. And, no, I don't think 'roids have anything to do with it.

I don't think Merriman has had a bad year by any means. He's played very well at times, but he's not pressuring the QB at all like he did last year.